Black Spirituality Religion : Are We Arrogant?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Aug 11, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    One day my cousin was on the phone. Her dog dropped his little ball at her feet to get her to play catch with him but she wouldn't play with him because she was trying to talk. The next thing she knew she heard a yelp and the phone went dead. Her dog had actually bitten the phone cord in two!

One day I visited my aunt who had a cat and a puppy. Whenever I pet the cat the pupy would go into a frenzy and start licklng the hand I was petting the cat with because he wanted to be petted too. But when I pet the puppy the cat would walk away in a proud offended huff.

Are we just being arrogant when we say animals have no free will or desires like we do? Is this something that we know or have we been programmed to automatically reject the possibility that they might? Is this a notion held by our ancestors or is it one we got from our oppressors? Of all the peoples on Earth who treats animals like animals?

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    river

nice reaction on the dogs behalf:coffee:

Perhaps the cat feels like it deserves better treatment because it is seen as more feminine than the dog:spinstar:

Animals do have desires,the basic ones (ie needing affection,hunger,etc) that they have to abide by and uf they do not abide by them they get angry,some people can be the same way...only showing what aspects they put in the forefront of their being...I am not sure if a cat or dog can practice fasting,elaboration,etc, in the name of something non-animalistic

As stated before they do have basic desires...the ones that are no different than the desires people put at the forefront of their being in order to justify actions that seem animalistic.But then again what is humane?

Depends on who you are speaking of in particular...various peoples held animals as equals simply on the basis that they exist and others hold animals like......well.....animals.:coffee:

Any body who deems themselves no more than an animal will treat others accordingly.

3. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    On the contrary. When we say that animals are responding as do humans, it is actually humans who are manifesting our lower selves and acting as do the animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kRb06w_XPo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm86foCYnBk

It is rare that we practice life with our Spiritual Self. When we do, I think it is evident that it is nothing to which any animal can relate.
    However, I still believe that we have allowed whitey to influence us to detach ourselves from the animal kingdom and to hold our selves so much higher than it.
    I think that all our places in nature our respective, and all should be valued.

*The animal kingdom is all the white man has/is. It is no wonder that he is as barbaric as his actions reveal (always trying to prove his dominance and rightful place at the top of it). However, he is a most unnatural animal.*

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace...................

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

In a way I agree but also notice something interesting. Notice "Egyptian" art. The "Gods" are usually depicted with animal features in the upper portions of the body, while many of the "Romans" depicted their "Gods" as having human heads but animal features in the lower parts of the body.

Perhaps what we have come to view as "spiritual" is actually more animalistic" while our "human nature" is actually driven by our lower desires.

I am not usre if this is arrogance so much as it is "arrogance in our ignoorance" with the root problem being ignorance of our true spiritual nature.

I look at how the war going on which is dividing the world along islam vs christianity/zionism tends to be apocalyptic in nature and driven by "spiritual leaders" with followings that appear to be more bloodthirsty than the most violent in the animal kingdom.

Humans are the only members of the animal kingdom capable of mass extermination of themselves and other forms of life on this planet. Perhaps this may be arrogance after all.

6. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    true indeed,humans are also the only members that can bring about a true form of peace and harmony (not the intellectual kind) in the world if the 'right' people had control over the world just as the 'wrong' people have control over the world today..

They say one bad apple spoils the bunch....the current world events are evidence of such...

7. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was driving down a side street near my house when I saw this dog heading towards the street. Judging by our speeds my car would have blocked his path and he would have stopped and let me pass. Well, this dog just blissfully walked between the parked cars and planted his nose right against my car door. The look of 'fear' on this dogs face was clearer than I've seen on any human face, as if he was saying OH $#!+ WHERE THAT CAR COME FROM! I can say that since then I've been a lot more kinder to animals.

8. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    It used to be thought that Lemmings committed mass suicide, but researchers are now stating other factors such as "poor judgement". Whales pods have also been known to committ mass "beachings", but researchers think that phenomena may be due to external sources such as powerful sonar waves from naval equipment throwing their internal direction off.

9. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Great observation. Not to divert the thread topic, but this assertion could possibly be evidence that much of Ancient Egyptian theology/spirituality is not accredited via "ROMAN influence".

10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    <shrug> don't know that i'd say "arrogant" - "rather silly" would fit better, i'd think.

every lifeform on this planet has the same basic properties: cerebral cortex, central nervous system, cardio-pulumonary system. in other words: motor function control, response to stimuli and a method of getting nutrients around the body. EVERY LIFE FORM.

as most will have noticed, that cerebral cortex gains experience and uses the gains ... usually ... mostly ... every cerebral cortex can learn. EVERY ONE OF THEM. cats got em; dogs got em, whales got em - and they are all learning. as part of that learning, they are watching these silly humans as they go about fouling their nests ... (so which one is on which end of the intelligence spectrum? i forget) ... and LEARNING.

yup; they have feelings and the ability to learn from their environment. also, they have the ability to influence their environment.

frankly, in my mind, there ain't but one "animal" on this planet - them "supreme lunatics" - the rest of us have dignity!! even them "cockaroaches" and them "gd ants" (a johnny joke, eh?) have more dignity than them not quite all here man-animals.

the pup, bird, cat and dog all responded to their environments and influenced that environment to obtain a goal that they had set for themselves; you noticed it; commented on it, and were influenced by those actions. i would think that this would kill any question of whether or not they have "intelligence".

again, not "arrogant"; blind and stupid. it is something that all Life knows about all other Life; it's all just part of the package - but then there are those busted up "man-animals" that have not evolved enough to have a clue, yet ... can't/won't touch the third one except to say that intelligence would suggest tossing out everything that any could say was acquired from "oppressors" - but it is much more fun to have all that stuff that they keep distracting you with as they shove it down your throat ... oops; pardon me. animals treat animals like animals. as to every one other than that sick man-animal, we all treat each other like Life, with all the Honor, Respect and Reverance that goes with the territory - white folks is just stupid and behind the curve .. as are those that still believe that the ability to kill, maim, destroy, poison, violate, etc., conveys some sense of "superiority" or "control" or "supremacy" ...