Pan Africanism : Are We Arrogant, Condescending, & Disrespectful To Each Other?

Family ... this arrogance we have, we come by it righteously. The U.S. believes that they are the world super power. They believe that every other country, and all the citizens within it, are beneath them.

This is why they are able to go into other countries and monitor, count, (rig?) their elections, when votes in our own elections aren't being counted. I understand that the United Nations has been asked to monitor the 2004 presidential election, as a result of the last fiasco. Initially there was much resistance and i'm not sure if they have agreed and will actually allow "outsiders" to do to the U.S., what the U.S. has always done to others. By the way, the congressional signers to the original U.N. letters included many Blacks (Sisters and Brothers). But many outside the U.S. are wondering, if they can come into our country and count our stuff, why can't we count theirs?! It is because the U.S. is arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful.

In most cases, unless you are one of the elite or have lots of money, when a child / student comes to this country and enters the U.S. school systems, they are AUTOMATICALLY put back. It makes no difference if they have proven themselves worthy of high or even higher placement than their U.S. peers. It is automatically assumed, that if you are coming into this country, your previous educational experience pales in comparison to what is offered here. It makes no difference that the U.S. is not ranked number one when it comes to education. My Brother's Wife is from Jamaica. She came to the U.S. when she was 16. She had already finished high school in Jamaica, passed 5 GCE exams and had been accepted to attend Oxford University. She had also passed 5 CXC exams and had been accepted to attend the University of West Indies. Her Father wanted her to be with her Mother, so she had to come to the U.S. Once here, the U.S. put her in the 9th grade! They did not test her, they did not ask any questions, simply looked at her transcript and determined that is where she should be. This happens because the U.S. is arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful.

I'm sure we could come up with more examples. I just want us to recognize where this kind of thinking / behavior comes from.

Let us embrace all of our Sisters and Brothers.

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:
Family ... this arrogance we have, we come by it righteously. The U.S. believes that they are the world super power. They believe that every other country, and all the citizens within it, are beneath them.

This is why they are able to go into other countries and monitor, count, (rig?) their elections, when votes in our own elections aren't being counted. I understand that the United Nations has been asked to monitor the 2004 presidential election, as a result of the last fiasco. Initially there was much resistance and i'm not sure if they have agreed and will actually allow "outsiders" to do to the U.S., what the U.S. has always done to others.

My Brother's Wife is from Jamaica. She came to the U.S. when she was 16. She had already finished high school in Jamaica, passed 5 GCE exams and had been accepted to attend Oxford University. She had also passed 5 CXC exams and had been accepted to attend the University of West Indies. Her Father wanted her to be with her Mother, so she had to come to the U.S. Once here, the U.S. put her in the 9th grade! They did not test her, they did not ask any questions, simply looked at her transcript and determined that is where she should be. This happens because the U.S. is arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful.

Destee

Kinda off topic, but I hope the UN does monitor things so nothing unfair happens with black votes again.

Now...about your bro's wife. My jaw hit the floor. I really hope she went right back to Jamaica to finish her education there. UWI is supposed to be a good school.

My mother was not much older when she came to Canada to go to McGill university. It is different though because she was the oldest kid and her whole fam was still in Trinidad so if she had encountered that foolishness, she could have went back home and went to UWI.

They did make her take some college level courses she did not really need before entering McGill but it was not a big set back at all and she rolled with it.

We have arrogance in Canada too. Toronto has a taxi cab force rumoured to be the smartest on earth cause we wont honour medical degrees, engineer degrees and all sorts of other qualifications from foreign. Montreal, same deal. People gotta deliver pizzas to save up and re-do all their education in a Canadian school to get the positions they deserve. This is people of many backgrounds but overwhelmingly non-white....go figure.

Anyways, I wont go any further off track.

Destee said:

This is why they are able to go into other countries and monitor, count, (rig?) their elections, when votes in our own elections aren't being counted. I understand that the United Nations has been asked to monitor the 2004 presidential election, as a result of the last fiasco. Initially there was much resistance and i'm not sure if they have agreed and will actually allow "outsiders" to do to the U.S., what the U.S. has always done to others. By the way, the congressional signers to the original U.N. letters included many Blacks (Sisters and Brothers). But many outside the U.S. are wondering, if they can come into our country and count our stuff, why can't we count theirs?! It is because the U.S. is arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful.

In most cases, unless you are one of the elite or have lots of money, when a child / student comes to this country and enters the U.S. school systems, they are AUTOMATICALLY put back. It makes no difference if they have proven themselves worthy of high or even higher placement than their U.S. peers. It is automatically assumed, that if you are coming into this country, your previous educational experience pales in comparison to what is offered here. It makes no difference that the U.S. is not ranked number one when it comes to education. My Brother's Wife is from Jamaica. She came to the U.S. when she was 16. She had already finished high school in Jamaica, passed 5 GCE exams and had been accepted to attend Oxford University. She had also passed 5 CXC exams and had been accepted to attend the University of West Indies. Her Father wanted her to be with her Mother, so she had to come to the U.S. Once here, the U.S. put her in the 9th grade! They did not test her, they did not ask any questions, simply looked at her transcript and determined that is where she should be. This happens because the U.S. is arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful.

I'm sure we could come up with more examples. I just want us to recognize where this kind of thinking / behavior comes from.

Destee

Destee, you are a Capricorn woman to be sure(smile!) Whew!

You will not get any arguments from me about the arrogance of the United States from me, sister... And i cannot begin with examples of the level of self-righteous arrogance which this country is straight guilty of... From Manifest Destiny to the very present so-called Iraqui War, from the Panama Canal to Grenada, From the Spanish American War to Viet Nam... The Unite States is worse thatn a 1000 Sodom and Gamorrahs, easily!!!

But, as I said, I did not wish that guy a sweet goodbye out of arrogance... I wished him a sweet goodbye because of his arrogance... If you gone leave, man, just leave... I don't wanna hear your departing panegyrics... That's egotistical, that's saying I'm gone regret your departure... I said, hey, try me(smile!)

Destee, you tell me, was there some jewel of wisdom this individual dropped that I missed??? I don't think so... What kind of person is he that he just ups and leaves the forum because he got into a disagreement with a person here or there??? Does he up and leave when he gets into an argument with his family or countrymen, vowing never to see them again??? You what they'll tell him - yada, yada, yada in spanish, man(smile!) They know he aint going nowhere, he'll be back(smile!)

The bottom line is that Africans in Diaspora and African Americans must extend mutual love and respect to one another... We cannot always be REQUIRING of ourselves that we be BIGGER than they... That would imply some real arrogance on our part, too... Like they haven't learned any couth, so we must show the savages how to come correctly...(smile!)

Finally, I have had my disagreements, as with the now infamous Sistas Step Up thread(smile!) Did I ask you to de-register me, or make fond farewell speeches??? Why should I respect someone who does that, Destee? If that makes me an arrogant African American, then I am a proud one... In fact, I shoulda told BIENAMOR to go git a skirt and fetch my dinner before he/she left(smile!) So sensitive...

PEACE!
Isaiah

Brother MrBlak ... no, my Brother's Wife ... i hate saying my "Sister-in-Law" it seems so impersonal, i just wanna say my Sister! ... anyway ... my Sister did not go back to Jamaica. Her culture is such that the children must do what their parents want, so even though she paid dearly for it (in regard to her educational placement), she remained in the states with her Mother. She was the only girl in the Family for a long time and they were very protective of her. I'm sure that is part of what motivated her Father's decision.

Brother MrBlak ... i don't think you are off topic at all, i appreciate you sharing how your country responds to like situations ... it helps us all to know each other all the more better! Oftentimes a thread will start out one way, and before you know it, it takes a twist and turn, then comes back to the original discussion, and then back down some other road again! We have the luxury of doing that here, because this is ours and we get to do it however we want! So always feel free to add whatever you'd like to a discussion. The fact that this "like-treatment" is overwhelmingly non-white folk is even more reason for us to come together. It will be much more difficult for them to violate us if we are all standing strongly together, regardless of where in the world we are. Thank you for sharing with us and if you think of more, please share it too!

Brother Isaiah ... whatchoo mean i'm a Capricorn woman for sure!? ... :lol: ... i don't know if i've been offended or complimented ... :wink: ... perhaps it is neither, and you are simply stating fact ... but if you'd like to elaborate on that comment, please do ... i'd love to hear your thoughts regarding my Capricorn tendencies!

Brother Isaiah ... now you just calm yo' self on down, i never mentioned you by name in my initial post! I didn't name any names, though i did mention situations that have taken place here. The ones mentioned happened recently, but over the years, we've had many like them. Very little that happens here is brand new. I'm not one to pounce on situations, at least i try not to, but what usually happens is a thing manifests itself time and time again, so much so that i'm compelled to speak on it. That's what fueled this thread, not these individual situations alone, but a glob of them ... lol @ glob ... over the years. I just used those to make my point.

To answer your question specifically, if a person decides they want to leave, the polite thing to do is say goodbye to them, and even wish them well if you are so inclined. My concern was that we might have run them away, pushed them to leave.

You will find this hard to believe, but i do have a fault (or two)! One of them is that it is my heart's desire to see this community embrace as many of our Sisters and Brothers as possible, and i tend to bend over backwards in an effort to do this. I also want each of you to do the same. I want you to coat your words with sugar and spice, and resist being too argumentative as it might discourage the more sensitive folk, such as myself, to remain with us. I have come to realize that my being this way can be equally detrimental to the integrity of our community. I've even been accused of "babying the discussions!" Can you believe that?!!! :eeek: I do recognize that discussions are going to get heated, and everyone is not going to respond the way i want them to. I do agree that if folk aren't "qualified" to be up in here debating these oftentimes serious topics, they might wanna stay out of the kitchen. Upstairs in the poetry forums, it is nothing but sugar, spice, love and happiness, and perhaps they may wanna hang out up there, rather than down here. There have been many times that i've simply looked the other way and let the Moderators handle it, because they aren't all sensitive and stuff, like me ... :lol: ... and when i do look away, they are the very ones in the thick of things! So i figure, all is well. It's just that sometimes situations get the best of me, especially if i see a Member being what i would consider, mistreated.

All of this to say, we all have some stuff we need to work on, me included, and i'll try to stay out of the way if yall will just play fair. Deal?

Destee

As I am, myself, born 'round january, and am myself born under the sign of the goat, I would not mean it as anything other than a compliment...(smile!)

I meant that when you dig in, Sista, you dig in pretty good...(smile!) I've gotten your message, and I do take it in the spirit it is meant... Hope you and the family are well on this holiday evening :wave:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back