Pan Africanism : Are We Arrogant, Condescending, & Disrespectful To Each Other?

this is an important topic

Destee said:
Hello Family,

I believe we, African Americans, are arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful. I had one Member tell me tonight that at least we aren't fleeing from our problems (i'm assuming he was referencing those Sisters and Brothers that are leaving Africa to come to the US or some other country).
I realize my thoughts may be somewhat haphazard, but do yall understand what i'm saying?

It's as though, we are reflecting our oppressor's image. We think too highly of ourselves, because we do live in what is considered the most prosperous, luxurious, educated, part of the world ... regardless of the fact that the majority of us are not welcome to partake in this great wealth of opportunity!

It's as though we have this, "i'm better than you mentality." I've studied yall. I have lots of friends who are from the continent. I know all about yall. I watch CNN!

Oh my gosh!

All of these types of things being said when the truth of the matter is, our vote is not counted, we can't walk in banks and get loans, we're the last hired and the first fired, the majority of us have no health coverage, we die from preventable diseases every day, the prisons here are full of us, our children are selling drugs and having babies, we are not even able to hold a respectful conversation with each other without it erupting into name calling, we are totally discounted in every possible way ... but we want to brag about what we did for the Sisters and Brothers on the continent! Please! We can't hardly do anything for ourselves unless our oppresor gives us explicit permission ... but we all across the water saving other folk ... solving their problems ... oh yeah, we got the answer for you ... you need to do this right here ... and if you're not receptive to what we say, you may be accused of being white ... because we are the authority on black!!!

:heart:

Destee

Your whole post is excellent. I hve encountered obnoxious statements like the bolded type above. The idiots who say such things no nothing of the world except what happens on their own block. They dont understand the push and pull reasons why people immigrate to all different countries around the world. I am glad you posted this.....there is alot of arrogance.....I have had to deal with it but change has to come from within and since I am not American, I would not have had any effect in making a post like this.

Thanks.....

btw....everyone knows that it goes both ways and respect is a 2 way street...but many dont recognize this till someone else wants respect while they would claim they deserve it, but dont give it. You are that "bigger person" you spoke of obviously!! :toast: :toast:

MrBlak

Not saying either side is right, but the flip side is this: how many times have we African-Americans heard a non-American Black person speak rudely about us? One of my friends married a man from Ghana. He routinely makes comments such as: You Black Americans are lazy. You Black Americans don't know how good you have it. You Black Americans had that slavery thing, but that was over 100 years ago!.......

I think that both sides need to be a little bit more open and understanding of each other. None of us are better than any of us. Yes, we American Black folk may have (on the average) more money, better food, better educations, better jobs, etc, etc.. but what have we lost? Our heritage, our sense of family and togetherness.......

Thanks everyone for responding.

My concern for us is so real. I believe that we can all live together peacefully. It is our nature to be a peaceful people. There is much evidence of this in our history. During one of Brother OldSoul's previous classes, he shared how our Ancestors made friends everywhere they went. Evidenced by our images on pyramids all over the world. Such monuments could not be erected without there being a Spirit of peace and cooperation amongst all involved.

But as a result of white supremacy, we have become something other than ourselves. We not only fight those in our own homes, we fight those in our neighborhoods, cities, states, this country, other countries, and continents, all throughout the world (including right here on the Internet). We are fighting each other, even though we are all in the same boat.

Mr. Neely Fuller said, when he visited us ... to imagine the world as one great big slave ship. All of us are on the bottom of that ship, yet we are down here fighting each other. Those on the top level of the ship don't care if we are fighting our own siblings, or if it is a Sister or Brother from another continent ... so long as we are fighting each other and keeping our eyes off of them ... the real problem.

Imagine if we began to love and respect each other (so much so, that it manifested itself in our words and actions), those laying on the top level of the ship getting a sun tan and sipping sugar water, would become very very concerned. But as things stand right now, they have no reason to even flinch ... because we continue to fight each other.

We simply have no room for this right now. Our condition is so bad, that we cannot afford any wasted opportunities to build together. It is not enough to say i did my best, when your best is not sufficient to solve the problem ... these too are some of Mr. Fuller's words, not exact, but what he implied. Those of us who know better must do better, and continue to do better until the problem is no more.

We get beside ourselves because we are all packed in the bottom of a slave ship, fighting for air, space, food ... our very survival. A few may have some dry grass to lay on, while others must lay on a hard naked floor. They know exactly what they're doing and how we will respond to it. They know this creates division amongst us, as all of us have our eyes on them, and the very plush lifestyle they live. We aspire to be like them, so we think that little piece of grass covered floor means we're more like them, successful. Those of us who may have a little grass on the floor of our corner of the slave ship, please don't get caught up. If anything, you should be plucking up some of that grass and sharing it with the Sister or Brother who's floor is bare.

We must consider the words we use, the acts we partake in, the impact they may have on our Sister and Brother. If you are not able to compose your words in such a way as not to offend, remember there is nothing wrong with going without speaking, if it may help your Brother or Sister from feeling attacked. Not all words and thoughts are meant to be uttered. Once they are out, they cannot be retrieved. So let us weigh each one heavily, insuring that it builds up and does not unnecessarily tear down, our Sister or Brother ... no matter where in this slave ship they are located.

Again, thanks everyone for responding. Yall are the best Famblee in the whole wide world! :love:

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back