Black Christians : ARE THESE POINTS TRUE ABOUT THE BLACK CHURCH

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Kemetstry, Feb 5, 2015.

?

IS THIS TRUE ABOUT THE BLACK CHURCH?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO, MY CHURCH IS CONNECTED AND VIALBLE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ONLY CHURCHES OF THAT OTHER SECT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127
    5 Reasons Why Many Black Churches Are Failing
    Comments 130 Standard
    [​IMG]
    (Photo Credit: Tampa Bay)
    Historically, the Black Church has served as a powerful political, social, and spiritual institution. Unfortunately, too many postmodern Black churches are becoming fundamentally immaterial. This is an especially sad reality when one considers how central the work of Black churches was to the Civil Rights Movement in the United States. The purpose of this piece is to offer 5 reasons why many Black churches have basically lost their relevancy.
    1. Money. Too many Black preachers place more focus on filling the offering plates than on responding to the comprehensive needs of the members of their congregations. Instead of engendering a potent economic agenda offering serious solutions for their congregants, many Black preachers are more concerned with how they can fatten their wallets and ameliorate their personal dwellings and automobiles. Although some people in the faith community are governed by a false consciousness that preachers aren’t capable of being venal people, this type of thought is divorced from reality. Even with Bishop Eddie Long being publicly proven to be a corrupt man, some in the faith community still don’t believe that some preachers are corruptible. Many Black churches are being dominated by the profit-motive, and their pastors are viewing the congregants as commodities. The absence of economic uplift in numerous Black church members has contributed significantly to the waning of these churches’ importance.
    2. Envy. In many Black churches, envy is such a prevailing force that it not only threatens the effectiveness of the churches, but also will lead to their untimely demises. Numerous Black preachers are unwilling to address envy within their churches because they’re afraid of losing church members, which, of course, leads to decreases in dollars in the offering plates. Although you’ll have countless people tell you that they’re Christians in these churches, so many of them will be the first people to try to bring you down. Too many people Black churchgoers aren’t committed to solidarity; they’re more committed to finding ways to attack one of their fellow members simply because he or she has something they desire. Much of the extant envy in the Black Church emerges from deep racial self-loathing. Black preachers, therefore, need to address self-esteem problems and racial self-hatred. Envious people don’t want to face their funk—they attempt to deodorize and sanitize their funk. Beware of those envious snakes who destroy you behind your back.
    3. Fragmentary Teaching and Preaching. Too many Black churches cherry-pick the sins they discuss. Countless Black churches have an incessant focus on homosexuality, but they refuse to address the unsettling number of aborted Black babies, the alarming divorce rate in the Black community, and many other sins that will upset the greater majority of the members. To avoid infuriating the majority of the church members, many Black preachers pick phenomena that will incense only a minority of their congregants. When teaching about a specific sin, it’s vital for churches to link that sin to the sin nature and offer hope, redemption, and salvation to those who have and/or are committing the discussed sin. Overly focusing on a specific sin alienates people, and it causes church members to lose sight of the larger number of sins they’re committing and/or need to devote more concern to examining.
    4. Lack of Community Involvement. Many Black churches are simply not involved enough in the communities in which they are situated for people to see why the churches even matter. Quality and consistent community service was one of the hallmarks of the Black Church during the Civil Rights Movement, but numerous Black churches aren’t giving any time to community service, or they’re devoting an insignificant amount of time to community service. An effective church stays active in the lives of the people in its service area.
    5. Lack of a Social Justice Agenda. The Black Church, as a whole, must return to advocating for social justice as it did during the Civil Rights Movement. Too many Black churches have been silent about senseless murders of Black people (e.g. Trayvon Martin), high Black unemployment, Black male academic underachievement, and etc.
    Antonio Maurice Daniels
    University of Wisconsin-Madison

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    What up brutha Kem!!!

I can't speak for all churches, but churches that I have been associated with, is guilty of several of your points, if not all of them. All of them are quilty of numbers 1 and 2. Number 2 is the one I despise the most. I've seen some treat their position as royalty and think they have the right to direct and govern you on many things that pertains to you, or your family. But take a different path when it comes to them and their love ones.

Peace!

3. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

Mine has always been the church politics. You are there to worship GOD and help people. Not get into who gets to say it's quitting time

4. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    I come from a long line of preachers....all the way back to slavery. Some of the preachers were crooks and I watched how they worked the congregation from within.

I realize that i'm not good enough to be a preacher, so I tell people those TRUTHS that a CROOKED preacher won't tell them, cause if they told blacks the TRUTH, there d be no money on the collection plate!

The fact is that african americans have no morals and values and if you tell them it's WRONG to commit FORNICATION, ADULTERY, and HOMOSEXUALITY, they will just get MAD cause they can't stand the TRUTH!

Confucius say, "When fools hear the truth, they get mad; when wise men hear the truth, they learn and become wiser."

That's why I tell the truth for the WISE men on the internet!

5. CosmicMessenger

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Judging my posts as "false" without any comments is the sign of a weakminded individual.

If they were INTELLIGENT, they would attempt to DEBATE their point with me.

• Disrespectful Disrespectful x 1
    • List
  6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

I think this is proof positive you need a professional for this self hatred. It goes against the facts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  7. CosmicMessenger

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    What "facts"???

These are the facts:

http://destee.com/index.php?threads...k-of-morals-and-the-slavery-connection.82694/

You didn't know that FORNICATION, ADULTERY, and HOMOSEXUALITY are AGAINST the Word of God??? (Deut. 22:13, Exodus 20:14, Romans 1:27)

Only KNOWLEDGE can overcome ignorance.

8. CosmicMessenger

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    "Self hatred"??? I love my God, myself, and my people!

I'm not the one who invented "MOOKIE" out of a hatred for BLACK MEN who get all the ladies!!!!

Calling a group of black men out of their names is the EPITOME of self hate!

If you call black playas "MOOKIE", what do you call black janitors???

Leroy???

When you start calling black men derogatory names, it's a sign of self hate.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Are the churches failing, or have they succeeded in their purpose, which makes them less prominent as a structure to depend on finding inspiration from?

The ones that seem to be "failing" are more than likely those that are still attempting to follow a business structure, rather than a general public service.

Terms like "failing" are associated with businesses... which essentially is the origin of the "African Methodist Episcopalian" church.

I have an episode (personal collection) of Meet The Faith from 2006, and the comments in the show from some "Pastors/Bishops" even made the hosts and other guests cringe and pause with bewilderment.

Keep in mind, this is nine years ago in 2006...

Bishop:

"You cannot worship God and money, but you must worship God with money"​

Host:

"People flying around in G4 private jets...?"​

Bishop:

"And why not?"​

Host:

"What kind of car do you drive?"​

Bishop:

"Oh my goodness"​

Host:

"What, you have that many?"​

Bishop:

"I drive a Phantom Rolls Royce"​

Host:

"Does this mean that the days of the local church are at an end?"​

Bishop:

"No, the Mega Church is the local church"​

This is the premise that drives the ideology of some (if not many churches), as I heard the son of a Pastor make the claim that he wanted to become a Pastor like his dad and start a church because it was a good business.

Ecc 10:19
    A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.

Some have been turned off and turned away from this mindset becoming entrenched in the place that was once considered a safe haven for the "innocent", but because there are many wolves in Shepard clothing, there is a mistrust issue that has been injected.

The business structure of the first black churches created an organization tool for other black businesses, essentially making the black church the first black business.

FREE AFRICAN SOCIETY

• Allen, along with Absalom Jones, came together to form the Free African Society (FAS) on April 12, 1787. The Society, though not religiously affiliated, proved much like a church in serving the black community. NAACP founder, W.E.B. DuBois, writing a century later, called the FAS, "the first wavering step of a people toward organized social life." Organized as an altruistic society for extending mutual aid to the widowed, sick, and jobless, it was funded by dues-paying members.

http://www.centenary.edu/religion/dotto/rel203/Blackmethodism.ppt

Another factor is messaging, as there was a common "enemy" that many desired to overcome and they gathered to calculate alternative ways to express the anxiety that oppression was creating for certain people.

At the moment, assimilation with the "enemy of subtle oppression" has pacified the focus away from a tainted history and culture, but refocused it on a diluted anxiety of righteousness and hoping for a better tomorrow.

The two are not inseparable, but the "black church" has been quieted on the same social issues that inspired its foundation, in order to maintain their 501c3... operating a business tax free as long as they do not incite members to become galvanized and create their own structures and outlets that were blossoming in the late 19th century.

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    A member doesn't have to give a response, they can just click the button the same as you have done to many members, me being one of them. So don't decry the a practice you are guilty of yourself.

And please try and be respectful, intelligence has nothing to do you this.

Peace!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Is it true black church commit fornication in the church during service