Black People : Are there higher and lower pleasures?

African_Prince

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 1, 2005
Most people, I think, would respond 'yes' but think before you do. I'm using 'pleasure' interchangeably with 'happiness' as an umbrella term for all positive, desirable emotions (sexual pleasure, love, the pleasure that comes from good music, food, video games etc.). If you argue that some pleasures are intrinsically 'higher' than other pleasures, like John Stuart Mill did, you have to base this distinction on something other than the pleasurable-ness of pleasure (since saying that one form of pleasure is more pleasurable than another is like saying one shade of blue is more blue than another, there are quantitative degrees of blueness but all shades of blue are equally blue). You might consider some pleasures to be more 'noble' or 'appropriate' than others but can any be considered more pleasurable?

Intuitively I feel that some pleasures are 'higher' than others but I'm not sure if this can be logically defended. There's no doubt in my mind that the pleasurable-ness of love and feeling connected to others is more intense and durable than the pleasurable-ness of food (and probably necessarily so) but I can't see how it can be considered qualitatively better. If it was somehow possible to feel love that wasn't pleasurable, why would it be 'good' to feel that love, if it wasn't a pleasurable feeling?

What is almost as pleasuable as giving a sister toe curling multiple orgasms, is giving an elder a wholistic protocol, and practitioner for their long ailment and see them come back to you with a smile of relief from much suffered pain,
or haveing young Black men and women just come up to you in their SUVs ,
in front of your house and show you photos of their wives, husbands and children, years later after you have done what you were able to to turn their lives around and away from the streets and crimeing

Most people, I think, would respond 'yes' but think before you do. I'm using 'pleasure' interchangeably with 'happiness' as an umbrella term for all positive, desirable emotions (sexual pleasure, love, the pleasure that comes from good music, food, video games etc.). If you argue that some pleasures are intrinsically 'higher' than other pleasures, like John Stuart Mill did, you have to base this distinction on something other than the pleasurable-ness of pleasure (since saying that one form of pleasure is more pleasurable than another is like saying one shade of blue is more blue than another, there are quantitative degrees of blueness but all shades of blue are equally blue). You might consider some pleasures to be more 'noble' or 'appropriate' than others but can any be considered more pleasurable?

Intuitively I feel that some pleasures are 'higher' than others but I'm not sure if this can be logically defended. There's no doubt in my mind that the pleasurable-ness of love and feeling connected to others is more intense and durable than the pleasurable-ness of food (and probably necessarily so) but I can't see how it can be considered qualitatively better. If it was somehow possible to feel love that wasn't pleasurable, why would it be 'good' to feel that love, if it wasn't a pleasurable feeling?

I agree it can't be logically defended.

You have to be "love", to understand

it's the point where unconditional takes form

u just have to know that the feeling is real, to feel it

people think that i'm crazy, and to most i appear to be, but to not know is clinically insane thru my eyes

blue is blue however the degrees still vary... it appears by the amount it rejects... so the concept is balance, which blue in midway.. or the concept of centered

chaotic and many thoughts at one time is the concept of existence, many logical thoughts also exist within the chaos, but the fact remains logic is still just thinking one thought at a time

the female elements vibrate faster, but without slower vibrations all there is, is unformed inspiration

Love is a pace maker

Joy is a constant, knowing not necessarily God's plan for you.. humility is more of a connection with God that you can be trusted to exist on behalf of

peace is giving god eternal rest everything continues to project, creation is endless.... but vibrations are important...

paradise is created when God/Goddess vibrations match naturally, and not produced

it's a pleasure to be in the present with God, and know it, even if he don't.

Patience a virtue...

knowing and not applying is mature....

a prophet is a master in the illusion of time.... forward then backward... until there is no more forward time to manipulate...

so u find someone who has vision of future and u manipulate their future mind..

once in

well

forgiven

is the only word for the death that i feel, yet the absence of the wish to die

when your hero falls

which is impossible because

that's the only love i've know

because it's god' consciousness

but i was aiming for awareness

and even tho a last attempt would be known to fail, he still masterminded

the execution

and nah it can never be logically fixed

forgiveness has always been divine

honor is loyalty to God...... god knows and i know, and for me that's a majority

what was set into motion, will not come to pass

the bullet always leaves, before there is even a target

so u've seen the target

and can't call the bullet back, but some are bullet proof, so the motion returns to the sender

intent always returns to sender, karma, unless ....... change is truly desired, in the heart, not in the words, but it the heart

this is where GOD is felt

really we don't have to "do" anything

action is really undefined

...ing at the end of a "word" assigns the value "act of"

creation is presently happening......

many points make up the point, and the point is creation

the point is Love, and the message is Love

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back