Black People : Are There Different Concepts of Mathematics - African vs European For Example ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Peace and Blessing Family,

Are There Different Concepts of Mathematics - African vs European For Example ?

This question came out of a psychic moment i had during last night's blogtalk show.

I don't have a lot more to offer, can't really elaborate, but it "came to me" that there may be such a thing. It may even be the way mathematics are taught and presented to us, perhaps that is where the difference lies ... i don't know ... but i'm being led to believe there is a difference.

It's way weird, because i don't know math, rarely think on it deeply ... yet here i am.

What do you all think ... are there different concepts of math, or the presentation of it, that could effect us greatly as a people?

If you think so ... please share.

You're also welcome to share that you think i'm krazee ... 'cause i said that too last night.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    okay ... so yall gonna just leave me out here krazee by myself ... :nuts:

okay ... fine :)

Destee

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    lol

yes

there are the teachers and then there are those that thought they were thoth, i mean taught.

destee, i hate to c u have to play by yourself.

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Math is math. The same math the Kemetians used to build the great pyramids to the exact specifications to track the stars. Is the same math used to send men to the moon.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689

Brother Info ... thank you ... :love:

i'm really believing there is something to this psychic moment i had, and it may be years and years from now that it is uncovered, with everyone being shocked and amazed ... but i think there are some differences that have yet to be revealed .... so let the record reflect ... destee said it on 08/25/12 ... :wink:

Love You!

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689

see ... right there Kemetstry ... you're lending credibility to my argument, for no one knows how the great pyramids were built to exact specifications to track the stars ... it is unprecedented ... and yet to be duplicated.

If math is math ... the same the Kemetians used ... why haven't the pyramids been duplicated ... like all other math?

Love You!

Destee

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

No one, 'the man' wants to know. Because that would require them to call blacks something other than primative. You dont build something like that using an abicus, fingers and toes

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689

what?! ... :uhoh3:

are you now saying there are different concepts of math ... or what ... :look:

Destee

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Most histories of mathematics devote only a few pages to Ancient Egypt and to northern Africa during the 'Middle AgesĀ“. Generally they ignore the history of mathematics in Africa south of the Sahara and give the impression that this history either did not exist or, at least, is not knowable, traceable, or, stronger still, that there was no mathematics at all south of the Sahara. In history, to Europeans, even the Africanity of Egyptian mathematics is often denied or suffers eurocentric views of conceptions of both 'history' and of 'mathematics' form the basis of such views. Contrary to the popular view, one can neither racially or geographically separate Egyptian civilization from its black African roots.
    --http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/Ancient-Africa/
    ...Purely Eurocentric origins of mathematics can no longer be upheld. The oldest (35,000 BC) mathematical object was found in Swaziland. The oldest example of arithmetic (6000 BC) was found in Zaire.The 4000 year old, so-called Moscow papyrus, contains geometry, from the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, the consequence of the formula for the volume of a truncated square pyramid. From Herodotus (~450 BC) to Proclus (~400 BC) to Aristotle (~350 BC), Egypt was the cradle of mathematics (astronomy and surveying too). From the earliest, the great Greek mathematicians, including Pythagoras (~500 BC), Thales (~530 BC), and Exodus (the teacher of Aristotle) all learned much of their mathematics from Egypt (Mesopotamia, and possibily India) - even the concept of zero.
    It is true that a zero placeholder was not used (or needed) in the Egyptian hieroglyphic or hieratic numerals because these numerals did not have positional value. But the zero concept has many other applications.
    Generalizations about the area of a circle or the volume of a truncated square pyramid are most evident in Egyptian mathematics. Checking the correctness of a division by a subsequent multiplication or verifying the solutions of different types of equation by the method of substitution are found from a time before the Greeks "existed." A method, in common use in Europe until the 19th century, for solving linear equations is generally known as the method of false position. This method was in common use to solve practical practical problems such as finding the potency of beer or optimal feed mixtures for cattle and poultry in Egyptian mathematics.
    http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/Ancient-Africa/mad_ancient_egypt.html

For tens of thousands of years, Africa was the center of mathematics history. The Africans contributed greatly to the world's mathematical knowledge from the concepts of measurement and accuracy of dimensions used in African forest kingdoms and the building of the great pyramids to the efficient irrigation systems, and numeration systems. The Greeks borrowed many ideas from the Egyptians and they credit their learning of mathematics, geometry and medicine to Africa. They adopted an Egyptian calendar and Hippocratic medicine. Also many of the Greek scientists and mathematicians spent great amounts of time studying in Egypt rather than Mesopotamia. Pythagoras, Plato and Thales studied in Africa and even Euclid who is considered the father of mathematics taught in Egypt at Alexandria. In fact, most of the great Greek mathematicians wrote in Greek but lived in Egypt.
    Despite this, there is still a denial among the intellects of Europe to give Africa the credit it is due in the field of mathematics.
    ...The Egyptians invented hieroglyphics which is a type of picture writing. It had more than 700 symbols. These symbols were used on monuments and temples and to record the official texts. They made use of the stalks of the papyrus that grew along the Nile to put their hieroglyphics on.

As early as 3500 BC, the Egyptians had made hieroglyphics to include numbers as large as ten million. Here is an example of some of those hieroglyphics.
    [​IMG]
    The ancient Egyptians multiplied two numbers by a process called duplication or doubling. Thousands of years later, the Europeans borrowed this same idea. This is how it looks in Egyptian hieroglyphics. Notice that they wrote from right to left.
    [​IMG]
    (hope this enuff to get U started...:)...]

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

A lot more difficult than trig. lol