Black Relationships : ARE THE CHANGING ROLES OF BLACK WOMEN HURTING OUR RELATIONSHIPS ??

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by blkbutterfly41, Dec 7, 2009.

1. blkbutterfly41

blkbutterfly41 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +483
    From sports to politics, Black women are taking the lead and altering the face of American life and culture

BLACK women have always been monuments to strength and determination. Well before the Feminist Movement declared working women fashionable, they deftly juggled the multiple roles of wife, mother, caregiver and breadwinner, while simultaneously hurdling the triple barriers of race, class and gender. But even in the face of those barriers--which continue to litter the path--Black women have pressed on, scaling heights and changing the way society regards all women.

Along the way, Black women changed, too, adding business executive, astronaut, and million-dollar athlete as identifying designations behind their names. Make no mistake about it, despite the socioeconomic indicators showing that Black women are still straggling to catch up to their White and male counterparts, Black women are on the move, as is reflected in the new roles they play in the rapidly changing modern world.

Take a look at some of the contemporary barometers to get a sense of how today's Black woman differs from her predecessors. While there have been Black women in business and in professions like law and medicine since the late 19th century, today they are more than mere tokens and trailblazers. Increased educational opportunities have provided the key to vast upward mobility for many Black women. In 1960, for example, only 3.3 percent of Black women held college degrees. Today, nearly 16 percent of Black women hold at least a bachelor's degree (compared to 15 percent of Black men.

How does the changing roles of black women effect our men and our relationships ?? What are our roles and does the Eurocentric definition of roles hurts us and how ??

Lets respectfully and honestly discuss.

2. blkbutterfly41

Ratings:
    +483

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_5_56/ai_71404459/

More than 2,300 women hold elective office in states, cities and townships across the country, which represents a growth of more than 90 percent since 1983, according to the National Political Congress of Black Women.

Also of note is the rising number of Black women, including two on the federal appeals court, and the Black women appointed to presidential cabinet positions, including Condoleeza Rice, national security adviser in the Bush administration, and Alexis Herman and Hazel O'Leary, labor and energy secretaries respectively in the Clinton administration. Those appointments demonstrate how far Black women have come as presidential advisers since the days when Patricia Harris broke ground as secretary of Housing and Urban Development and Health Education and Welfare under President Jimmy Carter.

Sports also offered up a new vision of the Black woman. While the WNBA has given us hardcourt heroines who display power and grace, and sprinter Marion Jones set a new standard for Olympic excellence, it is the Williams sisters of tennis fame who have really shaken up big-time athletics and demonstrated that women can be a main draw. First Serena becomes the first Black woman in 40 years to win a Grand Slam title (the 1999 U.S. Open), then Venus powers into 2000, winning Wimbledon and the U.S. Open and capturing gold medals in singles and doubles (with Serena) at the Olympics in Sydney. Venus not only became a worldwide symbol of athletic prowess, she became the highest-paid woman in the history of sports, courtesy of a $40 million endorsement deal with Reebok. Tennis historians compared her on-court accomplishments to Althea Gibson, the last Black woman to win a Grand Slam tournament. But other observers say Williams' impact is more akin to that of her contemporary Tiger Woods, who like Williams, has only found success in a virtually all-White, country club sport, but with their power and precision have forever changed the way their respective games are played.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    sigh

:10500:

Historically, bw have always held more bread winner roles in our community. This is the tenant of racism and Willie Lynch. The difference today is that many of you fail to see this for what it is. Moreover, in many cases their is a tone of disrespect if the female makes more. Women of old didnt do that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM
  4. blkbutterfly41

Ratings:
    +483
    My dearest Kem, You can't hand pick A PART of the Willy lynch method and not hold all black folks responsible and accountable for the ENTIRE method working.

No gender gets the free pass, As we all been duped.

This is a male dominating society, And yes the BW get plenty of liberties because we are women. But men made the rules, women are just more clever at making those rules work for them.

The problem is IMO , both genders are looking out for self and Where is the "we" in the equation ?? Where is the trust, verses trustworthy, partnership in relationships ?? Seems to me , we have become so self serving that people are going in relationships with protective measures already in place. This is not gender specific .

So this is not a finger blaming thread. Like I hope it will intise us to look at SELF and the role we play instead of just pointing the fingers.

If you really looking to sooth yourself by placing blame. Put it where it belong. Blame our oppressors and the very system they created that is not designed with us in mind. It's designed for us to do nothing but imitate them.......

btw: We can have the fabulous career, make plenty of money, have the grand house, with all the fancy things in it. But its not an completion unless a woman has a mate to share all things with. And in turn he brings something of equal value to the table. It don't have to be money. Most of the time its not. The black man that has the same equal finaicial status as her, probably has the white women trophy piece, anyway.

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

I have said repeatedly yall have a better lobby.

But, your premise is that BM dont attain this stuf as well. Most well off brothers are married. Why arent well off sisters? I submit it is as I said. Moreover, you associate your wealth and status with your personality. Many dont realize this is wrong until they are well past their prime

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016 at 1:07 AM
  6. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    I think both of you make good points...i'm not against our sisters doing what they gotta do to make it in this world, but the "independent" mentality that is forced upon them leaves them open to loneliness......while I understand that no other community shares our same experience in this country, you don't hear other races of women walking around yelling that they're "independent women"..............i'll never be an independent man....I need a queen next to me....real talk.

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Black women have always worked. Back in the day it was the women that held more professional jobs. Nurses, teachers, office work. White folks were more comfortable seeing Black women rather than Black men in these roles. But no a days that particular restriction is gone. I'm thinking it looks different than the reality.

Peace

8. blkbutterfly41

Ratings:
    +483
    I agree that, Yes, To achieve a higher ground of success that often the black woman has to give up her mate. And we are the only ones that have to make such a choice. ( Oprah, Condelessa Rice, etc )

That depends on how you define independent. Hell, I consider myself independent but that doesn't mean that I don't value or appreciate my man. In order to have that balance and that level of contentment he is vital.

I personally think that the ingrediants that it takes for us to acheive that power position are the same ingrediants that are not appealing to black men in general.

I don't have no power position, so I'm good. lol

Thanks and Peace

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    it ain't the role it the attitude.....

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States