Black Women : Are Sisters all the same?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by NNQueen, Nov 5, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Now I'm sure we recognize that not ALL Black women are the same. We are as different sometimes as night and day. But, when it comes to Black women, there's something there, a way that we think, that makes us seem different than other women.

"Sister" in the sense of siblings describes a special blood relationship that isn't shared with just anyone. But when Black women call each other "sister", it doesn't always mean that we are blood related, but it does mean that we are special to each other. What is it that causes most of us to think that way?

I wonder if other women see themselves as part of a "special" group and if not, why do Black women think like this? Just how deep does the sense of sisterhood really go? Does the Black women sisterhood cross political, economic, religious and cultural boundaries? When we refer to each other in public as "sister", what message are we sending? Is there a common thread that binds us together and if so, what is it? Even if we don't "like" each other, do we feel a sense of universal loyalty to one another such that we will protect and defend each other if attacked?

Like any other woman sometimes sisters engage in petty jealousies and we hurt each other. Sometimes we do this deliberately and sometimes because we just don't think things through before we act. Is there anything that could happen on the face of the planet that would cause sisters to bond closer together to overcome this ill behavior?

Is it a waste of time to think that sisters could ever overcome their differences and draw closer together, help each other to become stronger and build a stronger, more loving community?

Queenie :spinstar:

2. plainrhythm

plainrhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    in zulu there is a saying that goes: wathinta abafazi, wathinta imbokodo.
    which means "you strike women, you strike a rock".
    Sistahood has many connotational meanings, a sistah is someone who you know that you've been through a lot with, even though you've just met her.

Women in the past have been abused so many times, that we didn't really know that there were those out there (women) who supported us.
    It's like a sacred greeting that we have all around the world, you meet a foreign sistah in the airport, immediately you recognise that she's different from you, and vice versa. but there will always be that bond binded by those who faught for years in the name of feminism.

so in answering your question: yes all sistahs are different, but it doesn't mean that there is a whole lotta hate. we all the same but different, yeah?

much love. i hope you get what i'm saying sis.
    plain.

3. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    We should at least make the attempt to uplift one another. No, we aren't all the same, but we do have similiar experiences, so yes, we should make that effort. No, we aren't going to all like each other, I don't think there is any race where everybody just loves everyone else in it. But we should at least try to respect each other, at least. I do love it here, but that is one thing that will send me packing, evidence, at least in my mind, that there is no respect. The idea of universal loyalty sounds wonderful NNQueen, it's something we can all at least try. Great topic.

4. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102

This is hard for me to explain but I will do my best. When I see a Sister, I feel like I already know her struggles and pain. I can relate her indifferences to mines. I sense a connection to her because I know the trails/joys of being a women has affected her as it has affected me in some degree.

If a sister is under some form of attack, I still feel as if I'm being attacked. It doesn't matter if I don't like her or if she has a deceitful nature. The only thing that a sister could do to me to break this bond is to bring harm to me and mines. And even then, If I am not the one attacking her, I feel violated. :hammer2:

Maybe once we understand and respect our differences. If we understand that our struggles isn't much different from each other. Alot of the times we want the samethings but just in a different way. If it ever come a time when we are hunted and terminated for our femininity, That would definately pool us closer together. lol

No Sister, I dont believe its a waste of time. I believe it can be done. Someone has to set the example and begin to pool us together one by one. Like links on a chain. I understand that some will not feel this desire to unite. And I aint made at 'em.
    Me and my blood sisters often faught each other. We don't fight each other now, but we do get into some heated confrontations. Just let one cry out for help and watch how fast all squabbles will dissipate . They are my sisters and love is greater than any indifference anyday! I work on applying the same love to my non-blood Sisters.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    at the supermarket, a man ran up to a woman and beat her with a baseball bat.
    he than jumped into a car and speed away.
    i arrived as they were loading her into an ambulance.
    she was in poor shape.
    i asked what had happened and i learned that the sister who works as the security guard was the only one to help her.
    she chased the guy off the woman and called for the police.
    the police did not show but they did send the paramedics.

i tell this tale as an example of sisters helping sisters on the most basic level of survival.

makes me wonder where all the thugs were when they were needed?

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    the woman died from her injuries.
    the killer turned out to be a Egyptian Arab.

i am so tired of Arabs and Muslims who feel they have the right to go around the world killing anyone they chose.
    Islam must be a truly foul religion to have so many wanton killers.

we need to stat profiling Muslims.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I think when a sista call another woman her sista is for some form of ties
    or like a unity of sisterly love for another woman an embracment womanly

sista: a member of a religious group//order of women bonding //women regarded
    as comrades .

sista hood :: A state of being sistas of common intrest //community
    or society of sistas // solidarity of women based on sharing conditions
    bring forth womanly solutions as groups// mothering roosting as power
    to help less sistas or needed to vent given advice to empower the core
    of sista hood

it's a deep bond a motion tool to fight back against womenizer
    rapers // beaters // and other attacks as of .......................
    Many women call another sista for the common embracement
    and or from friendship a bonding tool to joint in harnomy

what make it this way is that sistas understand the deeper side which
    again speaks of this feeling to bond many women feel the next for where
    she been and felt herself , women will uphold and use a defense if attacked
    and surely a emotional state of mind sistas do join together with a unity

sistas unite far more and better , no it's not a waste just when it come
    to weaker women it takes a more mindset to river them in to unifiy them
    sistas are different yet the same in common solution .........................

bruthas are more so like this but just 3 time different women form fast
    then men do , the truth is the women are and has been the root to building
    harmony and bond of two sides in differents

NNQueen by far it's not a waste of time or struggle to keep and build a
    stronger sistahood .

just my 2 cent

8. seminolePHINEST

seminolePHINEST Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    For those who don't know me (seminoleBACP, I know yuo attend my university so I took it upon myself to steal the "seminole"), I am a model get plenty of guys approaching me. Whether I am submissive (hell no) or have an "attitude" I will surely get the guy I want. Sooooooooooooooooo..............

models are models for the world :smooch:

9. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6

What the h*** did that have to do with thread?

10. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Queen, what I do want to know is this, why do you Sistas' hate on other Sistas'?. Why is it when you see an Attractive Black Woman, you can't celebrate the fact that she is YOUR Beautiful Black Sistah. Instead you cut yo' eyes at her when she smiles @ you. I know that when I see an attractive Sista', it makes me proud, it further let's me know that Black is Beautiful. I don't get Jealous!!. I just could never understand why we can't congratulate each other on our attributes. We should do that instead of trying to pick apart and sabotage each other.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Wathinta abafazi wathinta imbokodo in Zulu version explained in ZULU