Black Spirituality Religion : Are religious people less intelligent?

Right. The Christian forum is to the left, sir. The tooth fairies forum to right. Here we are trying to dissect how religiosity affects intelligence (something that is acquired) just like conservatism is linked to low intelligence as well. I don't go to any of those religious fora to press my point, so unless you want to argue as to why religiosity affects intelligence then there's no point in the argument. You still can criticize the data, rationally. Some people have to live in the real world and address real life problems.

Where in my post did i say anything 'religious'. The only one in this thread talking about 'religion' is you. This is why i initially asked was this what this forum was made for?

so unless you want to argue as to why religiosity affects intelligence then there's no point in the argument.
- I already addressed this in my first post which you seemed to skip over to ask what LABEL i call myself.

I'm a Black Man
light years away from home
I close my eyes to open my eye
anytime i want to travel back to my king dome
But if you have to call me something
while we're here on this upgraded land of nod
call me a T.H.U.G.
which is a Thriving, Humble, Universal, God

word!!!

one love
khasm

Africa's problem is lack of schools and poor infrastructures. This cannot really apply to Africa. Lack of education is very easily replaced by superstition and religion. Lack of education is a big factor here, so we need to look at countries with similar level of educational infrastructures, such as China (100+) and Qatar (78).

IQ is one correlation that has been made relative to Religosity. Further studies reveal other correlations such as Poverty, which ties into your mention of Africa's problem (lack of schools and poor infrastructures). As you stated, "Lack of education is a big factor here".

Religiosity Highest in World's Poorest Nations

United States is among the rich countries that buck the trend

by Steve Crabtree
Page: 12

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Gallup surveys in 114 countries in 2009 show that religion continues to play an important role in many people's lives worldwide. The global median proportion of adults who say religion is an important part of their daily lives is 84%, unchanged from what Gallup has found in other years. In 10 countries and areas, at least 98% say religion is important in their daily lives.
l5esnetf_0w5azrgnmf6sa.gif

Each of the most religious countries is relatively poor, with a per-capita GDP below $5,000. This reflects the strong relationship between a country's socioeconomic status and the religiosity of its residents. In the world's poorest countries -- those with average per-capita incomes of $2,000 or lower -- the median proportion who say religion is important in their daily lives is 95%. In contrast, the median for the richest countries -- those with average per-capita incomes higher than $25,000 -- is 47%.
zyz9jwryreek-j9ee1xkdg.gif

The United States is one of the rich countries that bucks the trend. About two-thirds of Americans -- 65% -- say religion is important in their daily lives. Among high-income countries, only Italians, Greeks, Singaporeans, and residents of the oil-rich Persian Gulf states are more likely to say religion is important.
Most high-income countries are further down the religiosity spectrum. In 10 countries, no more than 34% of residents say religion is an important part of their daily lives. Six of those are developed countries in Europe and Asia with per-capita incomes greater than $25,000.
In three of the four lower income countries on the list -- Estonia, Russia, and Belarus -- the Soviet government restricted religious expression for decades until the U.S.S.R.'s collapse in 1991. The final country is Vietnam, where the government also has a history of limiting religious practice.
ljvin4ph6ee65_o0o2vfwg.gif

Implications
Social scientists have put forth numerous possible explanations for the relationship between the religiosity of a population and its average income level. One theory is that religion plays a more functional role in the world's poorest countries, helping many residents cope with a daily struggle to provide for themselves and their families. A previous Gallup analysis supports this idea, revealing that the relationship between religiosity and emotional wellbeing is stronger among poor countries than among those in the developed world.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/142727/religiosity-highest-world-poorest-nations.aspx

Since Religiosity has not yet been defined here, let us be clear we are talking about a sociologic term.

Religiosity, in its broadest sense, is a comprehensive sociological term used to refer to the numerous aspects of religious activity, dedication, and belief (religious doctrine). Another term that would work equally well, though is less often used, is religiousness. In its narrowest sense, religiosity deals more with how religious a person is, and less with how a person is religious (in practicing certain rituals, retelling certain stories, revering certain symbols, or accepting certain doctrines about deities and afterlife).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity

Numerous studies have explored the different components of human religiosity (Brink, 1993; Hill & Hood 1999). What most have found is that there are multiple dimensions (they often employ factor analysis). For instance, Cornwall, Albrecht, Cunningham and Pitcher (1986) identify six dimensions of religiosity based on the understanding that there are at least three components to religious behavior: knowing (cognition in the mind), feeling (affect to the spirit), and doing (behavior of the body). For each of these components of religiosity there were two cross classifications resulting in the six dimensions[citation needed]:
  • Cognition
    • traditional orthodoxy
    • particularistic orthodoxy
  • Affect
    • Palpable
    • Tangible
  • Behavior
    • religious behavior
    • religious participation
Other researchers have found different dimensions, ranging generally from four to twelve components. What most measures of religiosity find is that there is at least some distinction between religious doctrine, religious practice, and spirituality.
For example[original research?], one can accept the truthfulness of the Bible (belief dimension), but never attend a church or even belong to an organized religion (practice dimension). Another example is an individual who does not hold orthodox Christian doctrines (belief dimension), but does attend a charismatic worship service (practice dimension) in order to develop his/her sense of oneness with the divine (spirituality dimension).
An individual could disavow all doctrines associated with organized religions (belief dimension), not affiliate with an organized religion or attend religious services (practice dimension), and at the same time be strongly committed to a higher power and feel that the connection with that higher power is ultimately relevant (spirituality dimension). These are explanatory examples of the broadest dimensions of religiosity and that they may not be reflected in specific religiosity measures.
Most dimensions of religiosity are correlated, meaning people who often attend church services (practice dimension) are also likely to score highly on the belief and spirituality dimensions. But individuals do not have to score high on all dimensions or low on all dimensions; their scores can vary by dimension.

So, what is it that is at issue here? To an extant the following:

"The topic of religiosity and intelligence pertains to relationships between intelligence and religiosity, the extent to which someone is religious. A number of studies have been undertaken to examine these relationships, although other studies have explored religiosity to issues related to intelligence, such as educational level."

Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. There are several ways to define intelligence. In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom. However, some psychologists prefer not to include these traits in the definition of intelligence.[1][2]

Religiosity is a sociological term referring to degrees of religious behaviour, belief or spirituality. The measurement of religiosity is hampered by the difficulties involved in defining what is meant by the term. Numerous studies have explored the different components of religiosity, with most finding some distinction between religious beliefs/ doctrine, religious practice, and spirituality. Studies can measure religious practice by counting attendance at religious services, religious beliefs/ doctrine by asking a few doctrinal questions, while spirituality can be measured by asking respondents about their sense of oneness with the divine or through detailed standardized measurements. When religiosity is measured, it is important to specify which aspects of religiosity are referred to.

Why low IQ might correlate with religiosity
Commenting on some of the above studies in The Daily Telegraph, Lynn said "Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population. Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God." [6]
Even at the scale of the individual, IQ may not directly cause more disbelief in God. Dr David Hardman of London Metropolitan University says: "It is very difficult to conduct true experiments that would explicate a causal relationship between IQ and religious belief." On the other hand, he adds that other studies do correlate IQ with being willing or able to question beliefs.[6] These proposed mechanisms (of skeptical thinking) are in line with a report from Harvard University.[9] Researchers found evidence suggesting that people believe in God more when they are using intuitive thinking methods rather than methods that are more rigorous and critical. In the study, people who reported using more intuitive thinking in life were also generally more likely to believe in God. The study controlled for personality differences and cognitive ability, suggesting the difference is in fact thinking styles - not simply IQ.[9] In this case, that would mean IQ causes disbelief in God, not because of raw cognitive ability, but because it increases the odds of reflective thinking on the issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

There seems to a be correlation. Check this out.

_iq_vs_religion.png

IQ and Religion

The graph shown above relates the arithmetic mean IQ measured in various country's populations, to the fraction of each country's population that believes religion is very important.
The green diamonds represent individual countries; the yellow line is a linear regression (y = mx + b), calculated by the least squares method. The United States data point is circled in red. TK Solver was used to create the graph from the data listed in the table below:

The religious attitude data is from a poll that was part of the Pew Global Attitudes Project. The survey report is available online at:
http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=167

The question wording used in the poll was as follows:
How important is religion in your life—very important, somewhat important, not too important, or not at all important?​
The report available online only lists the percentage that said religion was 'very important'.

The IQ data is from IQ and the Wealth of Nations by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen.

p. 73-80, Table 6.5: National IQ based on arithmetic means calculated by Lynn and Vanhanen (2002), in parentheses PISA scores of "mathematical competence" (Prenzel, Manfred et al. (eds).: PISA 2003. Münster: Waxmann 2004, p. 70, Table 2.9; or: PISA 2003: A Profile of Student Performance in Mathematics) , transformed into IQ (PISA scores, mean 500, SD 100, have to be transformed into IQ values, mean 100, SD 15, by adding or subtracting the deviation from the mean in the relationship 100 : 15 = 6,67, that means PISA 433 corresponds to IQ 90, PISA 500 to IQ 100, PISA 567 to IQ 110):

Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) scores are the test results of representative samples of 15-years olds, tested in 2003. Because the IQ scores estimated by Lynn and Vanhanen have the IQ 100 of the United Kingdom as "Greenwich-IQ" , the IQ transformed from PISA may be about 3 points too high. Moreover, from 2000 to 2003 all PISA means show an increase of 3 PISA points because Turkey was included in 2003 in order to calculate the OECD mean, but not in 2000.

p. 44: ”The number of geniuses produced by a population depends on the population’s mean IQ. For a population with a mean IQ of 100, an IQ of 158 is present in approximately one individual out of 30,000. In a population with a mean IQ of 115, there would be approximately one individual per 1,000 people with an IQ over 158, a thirty-fold increase, Thus, differences in the mean IQs of national populations will have large multiplier effects on the numbers of geniuses produced. These effects are likely to contribute both directly and indirectly to economic development.”

http://hypnosis.home.netcom.com/iq_vs_religiosity.htm

Here is another version of the same data.

This is not just a matter of Economics. There are people here all the time who make a distinction between "religion" and "spirituality". African people are typically viewed as a Spiritual people. Perhaps, we are actually more Religious in our thinking than we think. On the other hand, the europeans whose religions we ascribe to (most of us who identify with Abrahamic "faiths") do not view Religion as important (for the most part). Therefore, I ask, Why do we take their religions more importantly than they do?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/12/12/a-chart-describing-iq-vs-religiosity/

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back