Black People : Are Police Due More Respect Than Citizens?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 17, 2004.

?

If a Citizen disrespects the Police, should their punishment be more harsh and swift?

1. Yes - disrespecting the Police warrants greater punishment

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No - disrespect is disrespect - and it all should be treated equally

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Hello Family,

I've heard that police are due more respect than the average citizen because they put their lives on the line every day to serve and protect their prospective communities ... oftentimes going above and beyond the call of duty.

Do you agree with this?

When someone slaps a cop, should they get double the time than if they slapped a regular citizen?

Does it work this way now in the justice system ... more time (punishment) if the crime is against a cop?

Why is it this way?

Should it be this way?

Please vote in the poll above.

Thanks a Bunch Family.

:heart:

Destee

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Cops

The Police Officer may risk life and limb more than often and may deserve more respect but they haven't earned it. What they have earned is our fear. The police have evolved more into an uncompassionate agent of law enforcement than the " Officer Friendly" taught in elementary schools in the early 70's. The advent of the patrol car is partly to blame, the increase in crime down to the breakdown of the family unit is partly to blame as well. The war of drug abuse and the dui's has also changed the environment of policing as well. At one time the " Beat Cop" would patrol the neighbor by foot. He would come to have a personal relationship with the community. He would know the citizens. Now the police are too busy looking for criminals. The citizens of the community knew the police officer name the that patrolled their neighbor and vise versa. Now you'll be luck to remember their face. As for crimes against the police officers, that is another way the citizens are made to fear the police. To today the situation is what is it is and we are all to blame.

Peace

Radical Faith

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    i can't stand bacon...
    the judicial system along with it's lackeys are set up to castrate the black man...
    5-0 can go to hell for all i care...
    one love
    khasm

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i dont love them so dem cant love me.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Thanks everyone for responding.

Please vote in the poll above too.

:heart:

Destee

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Destee, I was just reading the companion booklet to the PBS series on The Rise and Fall Of Jim Crow, and discovered that more than 50% of the recorded lynchings of African Americans happened while in POLICE CUSTODY - more than 50%! I grew up with my mother telling me to keep my distance from cops at all costs... White mothers don't tell their babies that - why? Well, my mother knew of the nastiness of police north and south, and assumed nothing nice about them... Neither do I...

Here in New York, a police officer killed in the line of duty carries with it a death sentence... Why doesn't killing a regular civilian carry with it the same??? Because of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association's relationship with the politicians who make the laws... It is they who've decided to place a premium of a policemens' life over and above the average citizen's... Shame on them from here to eternity... Hell no a cop's life is not more valuable than yours or mine... We are all human beings, but the power elite have chosen to place a greater value on theirs than ours...

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    nope... :read:

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,383
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +28
    Should the Police be more Respected ?

Unfortunatly the White Supremest Domenated Territories of these U.S.A are as we know nothing more than stark organized crime cyndicats from top to bottom. The question of Racial Profiling conducted by all of America's (Po-lice) forces is at the top of the list in ways to force Black Folk in particuler into total submission (Slavery). African-Americans' are suppose to be 12% (Minority) but compose over 85% (Majority) of the prison population. There is no respect for Black People in the U.S.A. There is no respect for Black People by the Po-lice departments in America. "A universal law is you give respect in order to receive it". A Afrikan proverb says, Fight those who fight with you. Po-lice will not ever get respect if at first they don't give it. Brothers and Sisters. :couple:

10. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Before you read my reply...I am a youth correctional officer an I will speak my thoughts as for things I have witness.

I've heard that police are due more respect than the average citizen because they put their lives on the line every day to serve and protect their prospective communities ... oftentimes going above and beyond the call of duty.
    Do you agree with this?

I don’t think they all are do more respect, but I do think it also depends on the officer at hand and the situation. You have your good cops and you have your bad cops. And it only takes a group of bad cops to make the whole group bad.

When someone slaps a cop, should they get double the time than if they slapped a regular citizen?

That would depend on what the cop did to get slap, was the cop in the wrong or do you judge that cop because his partner is a bad cop?

Does it work this way now in the justice system ... more time (punishment) if the crime is against a cop?
    Why is it this way?
    Should it be this way?

Into days justice system it do happen more times and I don’t think they even consider what the person did if they where defending their self or not. Just that they dispected a cop someone in authority

I think the system makes it so we can fear the cops no matter bad cops or good cops….should it be this way no. but it is the way it is.

well that is my thoughts on this....

Peace
    Angel