Black Relationships : Are Men & Women that Different?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by LostInThought, Jul 29, 2003.

1. LostInThought

LostInThought Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    It is my belief that the differences between men & women are very thin. In fact I value the same qualities in my male/female friends (intelligence, empathy, strength, etc.).

How do you feel about this issue?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lostinthought/

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hello Lost In Thought,

I'd like to think that there are more similarities between men and women than differences. I also think that the largest gulf between us is caused by the way we are socialized in a given culture. Psychologically, how we see and think about ourselves is what causes the biggest problems among us, I think. Anatomically, there isn't all that much of a difference between men and women, but what differences there are can be a lot of fun if we'd relax, enjoy each other and let go of all the outside b.s.

Good topic!
    Peace

3. LostInThought

Ratings:
    +1
    This brings up an interesting question -

What if the former interpretations of Manhood, and Womanhood were incorrect? Could that be the reason people are rebelling against them?

4. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Men and women are different, no doubt about that. I am not sure about the margin of difference but in my opinion more than a thin line. A person's culture and interest will have to do a lot with differences. When I was doing undergradate in computer science there was way more females than males. As the years went by the number of girls fell dramatically. I would say 99% of girls donot like computer programming. It is very rare to see a female in computer science.

Here are a few differences I can think of:
    Men
    Visual
    Physical

Women
    Emotional
    More likely to talk things out
    Honorable Mention
    skin is so soft and smell so good :)

I donot think either sex is smarter than the other. I am sure everyone heard the report that men and women use different parts of their brain. There are other ways females and males are different but these are the only basic ones I can think of now.

Furthermore, I think the gay high school is a bad idea. I thought homosexuals want to be accepted with heterosexuals not outcasted.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    men and women is not too far apart
    in many area's of life just what makes man & woman
    different is da bare of children
    they work same jobs
    they both can be mentally emotional
    both can show strong point & be physical

they are compassionate in the same way as well
    so the different is less far & few between

as far as the school it should be ! this not how to get what
    they feel is equal rights

6. LostInThought

Ratings:
    +1
    I just wanted to address some of the statements that some of you made about the new gay highschool in NY.

Community is very important. Isn't that why we are here? Why have we chosen this forum? Could it be that we are here to communicate with others of a shared history, and culture?

My point is this...

Having a gay highschool gives gay teens a chance to be apart of an environment geared towards their well being. An average highschool is ill-equipped to deal with the problems uniquely faced by gay teens. Without the proper support of adults, and peers the teens have to try to deal with their sexual identity alone.

Can you imagine what it must be like to be a gay teen in a public highschool?

Anyone familiar with gay teen suicide?

This new school isn't about exclusion. It's about filing a void that needs to be attended too. There are allot of gay teens yawl. They need our love, respect, and support.

It isn't about segregation. A gay teen doesn't have to attend this new school, but it gives them an OPTION that didn't previously exist.

I see this highschool as an attempt to help the kids negotiate around the problems (putting it mildly) they would normally face.

Now that I got that off my chest...

This wasn't supposed to be about sexual orientation....

could we please get back on topic....

PLEEEEASE!!!

7. divinity

divinity Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Nfant_De_Milieu

i totally agree with you....those are the main differences between men and women......men are very visually and physically driven....they respond to what is in front of them at the moment and emotionally connect and think later, which could be the root of the "dog" in some men......women are emotionally driven...they respond by connecting first and then acting, which is why women are hurt much easier....

8. MORE

MORE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    women and men are very different, in how we think and act. however, this goes back to the garden of eden. so imma just chill on this one.:toast: