Africa : Are Latinos / Hispanics - 'Africans' too?

dbarka...in translation to modern definitions, yes, they are now "Hispanic" which is an ethnicity and not a race. It's an ethnicity (culturally based definition) because of the fact that what those "new" Panamanians have in common are the fact that Spanish is now their first language and Panama is their place of origin. Technically, they are Africans.

Leshon...you're in an interesting situation because, technically today, "Mexican" isn't considered a race but an ethnic culture. Caucasian is defined as a race. So technically, even though both of your parents are from different backgrounds, I don't know if you could define yourself as "bi-racial." The US federal government would classify you as Hispanic. Is that what you self-identify as?

Quote:

"you couldn't be further from the truth. mexico is one of the countries with the largest and most significant surviving native population in the americas. at least 30% of the population are "pure natives", 60% being mixed, and 10% white. the average mexican is very likely more native than the average legally recognized native american in the US. "

Liviti, If 30% of Mexico's population are Amerindian (with little or no intermixture with Spaniards), then that still does not make Mexico an indigenous people. What that means is that 30% of Mexicans are Amerindian, just as 2% of the United States population is Amerindian. If 30% of Mexico is Amerindian, then that means 70% is not. Therefore it is NOT correct to classify all Mexicans as indigenous. I argued against a blanket statement that all Mexicans are Native American, not that there were Amerindians in Mexico.

The same applies to Equador, and almost every other country in Central & South America. With the possible exception of Peru (which you listed as having a 45% Amerindian population). If this is true, I actually think it is great. However I am curious how Amerindians in Peru were able to retain their culture, heritage, and blood to such a great extent when the rest of Amerindians in the Americas could not.

P.S. If the CIA World Fact and Meszito left out "African" in their Spanish-Amerindian racial mixture, then it is not completely accurate. There is an African presence in Mexico. The extent that it exist is debatable, but that it exist is not. It is evident in the clearly black Mexicans that exist in the country. It is evident in the extremely dark children that occasionally "pops up" (or should I say "pops out".......lol!) of "traditional Mexican Women who are married to "traditional Mexican Men. In short it is in their blood.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back