Pan Africanism : Are Latinos / Hispanics - 'Africans' too?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Everyone,

I saw in another thread, Black Male Shortage - Myth or Reality?, where a Sister said ...
    This comment made me wonder ...

If a Black Brother or Sister is with a Latino Brother or Sister ...
    aren't they still with an "African?"

In general, do Latinos consider themselves Africans?

In general, do Blacks consider Latinos Africans?

Are Latinos Africans too?

:heart:

Destee

2. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Destee

I think that latinos are heavily discriminated against just like
    we are-therefore, they consider themselves to be able to
    relate to our culture in that they are oppressed in many ways
    themselves. However, ethnically or culturally speaking

I think not :0)

one

pd

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Hello my fellow Panafricanist!! Destee this forum is a great idea, and you deserve much credit for starting it.

To answer the question. There are "Black" Latinos, "White" Latinos, and "Mulatto" Latinos. Latinos are generally made up of the same racial background as Americans. South America and the Caribbean (containing the Hispanic countries Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Dominician Republic) has the same basic racial makeup as the U.S., with African slavery and the mixing of Europeans and Indians or Native Americans. A major difference in the two different cultures was the extent to which this "mixing" took place. Although race mixing is evident in the U.S. (with the high number of light skinned blacks in the country). Race mixing in South America was so ingrained in the society that the majority of the people are now what we would deem as mulattoes.

However in many countries there are Hispanics who are clearly black (having such a large percentage of African blood, that their skin is dark brown & their hair is course). As Panthaxx already pointed out, most of those Latinos who are "black" classify themselves as Hispanic. However I think this is a social-political strategy. From what I've observed, Hispanics suffer from an identity crisis. Most will tell you that race is classified differently in their countries. However being married to a African Spaniard, and knowing a handful of "black" Latinos that correctly classify themselves as black, I know that this isn't really true.

Hispanics are coming to this country to make a better life for themselves (to escape poverty & persecution in their homelands). In America blacks (despite the civil rights movement) continue to occupy the bottom of the social-economic system. If Afro-Latinos come to this county & identify themselves as black, then they would inherit the economic & social discrimination that we face. Since they are fleeing from poverty they don't want to face economic discrimination here. Therefore they disassociate themselves from blacks: "My skin might be dark, but I'm not black. I'm Cuban, Mexican, Dominican, etc."

Despite this trend, I still consider black Latinos part of the African Diaspora. I wouldn't be a true Panafricanist if I didn't. However it is important for them to recognize their blackness if we are to consider them allies in the struggle. Until they do, we are mistaken to expect their support.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    indeed they are the answers is YES....

5. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Latinos considering themselves other than African is evidence of the pervasiveness of rascism and white supremacy.

6. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I''m in line with PanAfrica, both Latino and Hispanic are genaral terms. AfricanLatinos are few in numbers, they need to identify themselfs that way. if not then they are then just Latinos of African decent.. This of cause is more complexe than meets the eye.

7. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    perhaps us considering them african is nothing more than arrogance.

we are family. but we are not the same. latinos are native americans. their culture is rich and complete. they are not african. we have met before. we have built empires on their soil. but we are not them. they are not us.

research bears this fact. "they came before colombus" wasnt about saying we were here first. just that we were here before slavery.

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Welcome Ifasehun, and thank you for posting on the boards!

Now that the formalities are out of the way, I have to disagree with your statement that Latinos are "Native Americans". It is true that Latinos are mixed with "Native Americans", just as they are mixed with African and Spanish blood. However many African Americans also have "Native American" blood. Therefore, Latinos can not be anymore "Native American" than African-Americans. Also the culture of African Americans is rich and complete.

9. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    ifasehun

I see there is a need to clarify my point...and make a few others.

In reference to your "arrogance" comment, I only called Latinos African because of the same logic as Kemetsry; not because I'm arrogant. All humans come from Africans, hence all humans are Africans. However, looking at it that way would make the question moot.

To dig a little deeper, the comment I made about the pervasiveness of racism and white supremacy stems from the "light skin" vs "dark skin" mental condition that is prevalent around the world. This mental condition...in my opinion...has widespread ramifications because of racism or white supremacy.

So, those who can pass for white...no matter what their true background is...will claim that status by referring to themselves as whatever-American. Prime example...people from Mexico in the US. People from Mexico who claim their heritage and background who live in the US consider themselves Mexicans. Those who want to get a better life and indirectly disclaim their culture consider themselves Mexican Americans. African Americans...hmmmm...food for thought.

Like Mexico, I am under the impression that most countries exhibit discrimination because of color.

So, that was my logic for considering Latinos African.

I left myself open...let's see who will notice. :lol:

10. dbaraka

dbaraka Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    African Americans and Latin Americans have African,Black,and Euopean blood in thier veins.The only difference is that the Latin American's slave master spoke a different language.