Black People : Are Latinos closer to Africans?

The reason why I used the terms so-called Latinos and so-called African Americans is because both people are exactly the same in origin. There isn’t much difference between Latino and African people; you will understand why I am saying this after you finish reading this article. I am not sure if any of the readers listen to both, so-called Latino music or African music. Well if you do, you probably notice their music sounds exactly the same. At the end of this read there will be some hyperlinks that will direct you to some so-called Latino music and African music. Both African and Latinos like very hot and spicy food, these people usually have some kind of spice or pepper with each meal, with breakfast as an exception in some cases. Furthermore, besides monotheistic religions such as Christianity and Islam; the pantheons of traditional religions such as Yoruba and Santeria are nearly the same in both African and Latino spirituality.

61vioXvXWBL._SX300_.jpg

On the other hand, African Americans physically resemble our brothers and sisters much more favorably than Latinos however, African American are not as attune with African culture like Latinos are. Universally, African American is much more like the European than people of African descent worldwide. These groups of people probably display as much or even more hatred and oppression towards each other than any other ethnic group worldwide. There are many strong, powerful and extremely intelligent African Americans. Unlike other people, African Americans don’t value their brothers and sisters with these qualities. They either compete against them or try to hinder them from success, if not destroying them. The sad part of this all, these great qualities possessed by African Americans, are used to benefit White America, instead of them.

puertoricoyoungin1.jpg

The spirituality embraced by Latin America and Central America by Latinos, are primarily influenced by the Yoruba tradition, which is practiced in West African predominately. In this publication I will familiarize you with the Yoruba tradition. Then afterwards, I will compare the Yoruba tradition with the religious practice in the Caribbean, Central America and Latin America by Latinos who were influenced by the Yoruba tradition. After reading this publication, make sure you go back and reread my articles entitled: The Untold Secret of the Moors and The Nubian people. I want you to check out these articles after reading this one, because it will strengthen my point that Latinos and African is the same people. The only difference is many Latinos contain more Europeans blood in their veins than American Americans and Africans.

A concept of Obi Divination

Obi Divination may have it earliest roots in Nigeria, West African. The Yoruba tribe of Nigeria practice Obi Divination. Obi trees are found in Nigeria, and I believe South America (Latin American) as well. The Obi tree is a very sacred tree and people from the Yoruba tradition use Obi as rituals for Divination.

Four important Oracles of Ifa divination

1. Ikin, the 16 sacred palm nuts

2. Opele, divining chain

3. Eyo Owo or Erindinlogun, the 16 sacred cowries

4. Obi Abata, the 16 sacred kola nuts

The Spirit-like quality of Obi Abata

· The two male (Ako meji)

· The two female (Abo meji)

Opon Ifa

The Opon Ifa represents the four cardinal points of the universe.

1. North

2. South

3. East

4. West

The top of the divining board represents the North, the bottom represents the South, right represents the East and the left-hand side represents the West. However, the four cardinal points of the universe, also correlates to the four fundamental elements of nature or the elements of life, which are: air (Shu), fire (Re), water (Nun) and earth (Geb). Allow me to note, the Opon Ifa is a divining board used to perform Obi divination.

The four major Odus, Obi divination system

1. Iwori – Spirit, associated with the southern cardinal point of the Universe.

2. Idi – Rebirth, associated with the eastern cardinal point of the Universe.

3. Ogbe – Life, associated with the western cardinal point of the Universe.

4. Oyeku – death

Consideration for Diviner

a) Ori – opon is the Top (North) of the Opon Ifa denoting distant places, the sky of the heaven; abode of the orisa (deities), spirits and ancestors

b) Ese – opon is the Bottom (South) of the Opon Ifa, denoting the earth or dwelling place for people, animals and plants.

c) Otun – opon is the Right (East) of the Opon Ifa denoting matters of the home and the inquirer.

d) Osi – opon is the Left (West) of the Opon Ifa denoting matters outside of the home and the neighbors.

(See: Obi Divination by Afolabi A. Epega, page 9)​

My intent for informing the readers about Obi Divination is to allow the readers to see how the rituals practiced in some Latin American countries are similar to the rituals practiced by the Yoruba tribe of West Africa. I will now inform the readers about the Gods and Goddess of Yoruba that are worshipped in the Candomble, Umbanda and Santeria religions by Latino people. Once I cover the topic of the Latino religion that is similar to the African way of life. I will then give an abstract concept of what is known as the Igbo religion, which is just a way of life for us Nigerians who live Igbo. Before I begin to proceed about the Candomble religion, allow me to note that Candomble, Umbanda and Santeria are all rooted from Yoruba or Benin (W. Africa). The main place of all these religions I am going to mention has ancestral relationship with Nigeria and Benin.

Candomble

The main place that practice Candomble is Brazil. However, nations such as: Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, United States and Uruguay all practice Candomble as well. Candomble has elements from the African way of life and a major religion as followed: Dahomey Vodun, Kongo nikisi and Roman Catholicism.

Umbanda

Umbanda is practiced in Argentina, United States and Uruguay. However, Brazil is the most predominated place where Umbanda is practiced. This religion is a mixture of Yoruba Orisha, Bantu, Indigenous American spiritism and Roman Catholic.

Santeria

This religion is the most predominated religion with Yoruba origins that are practiced by Latinos. It is also influenced by an Indigenous American way of life and Roman Catholic syncretism. Nation such as: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, United States, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, Venezuela and Uruguay all practice Santeria. Furthermore, Santeria has it beginnings in Cuba, where it is practiced the most.

Brief concepts of Igbo

In Igbo, there are Goddess and Gods that are represented by elements, like there were in ancient Khemet (Egipt). Ala, also known as Ana, Ale and Ani is an Earth goddess. She is known as the Queen of the underworld. At Mbari found in the southern region of Owerri. There is a symbol of Ala, with a child in her arm and a crescent moon near her. This is similar to the statue of Auset (Isis) with Heru (Horus) in her arm. Ala has a twin, and on her preside is the opposite, the God of storms.

Ani can be compared to the Kemetic deity (so-called Egiptian deity) Geb. Chukwu is a solar deity, he is acknowledged as the cosmic force that manifest itself in the land, skies, and sea; Chukwu can be compared to the Kemetic deity Re or Ra (solar god). The husband of Ani is believed to be a sky deity, he is known as Igwe, and can be compared to the Khemetic sky deity (Egiptian sky deity), Nut. He produces rain for the earth, and the earth Goddess to aid her with production. The Igbo way of life is believed to be called Odinani. Odi means it is, Na means on/within and Ala means the land or earth. In Igbo, Chi is acknowledged as personal providence and Arushi is acknowledged as the supernatural forces.

© King Gee Inc.

View Hyperlinks to original Article below
KingGeeInc.com

are you here to bash african americans?

Brotha Amun, jamesfrmphilly,

The short answer is no. Furthermore it would be better to specify African Latinos.

Culturally speaking however, African Latinos & African Caribbeans are closer to African heritage.

The reason for this is easy to explain.

The slavery experience in the USA was very different than slavery in the rest of New World. The USA was made up predominantly of settlers who brought their European societal norms to the new world and shaped the society as such.

In the rest of the New World we had predominantly "investors", "speculators" and representatives of wealthy Europeans. They mostly had no interest in settling or creating a new society as they were in pure profit.

For this reason the slavery experience in the rest of the New World was more cruel than that of the USA, because the slaves were basically worked to death. The live expectancy of slaves was very low. While in the USA you had an increase in the slave population by natural procreation, in the rest of the New World there was a decline.

Culturally, the overseers did not bother to try to squash the rituals the slaves practiced which were brought over from Africa, while in the USA this was mostly not allowed except in the case of Louisiana which at the time was French territory and had the same attitude as the rest of the New World.

As far as people like jamesfrmphilly saying this is a put down of African Americans, this is far from the truth. We just experienced slavery differently. Neither me or you had any say in how our forefathers tried to maintain their culture. We do have a say into how we view, respect & learn from our brothers and sister in the diaspora.

BTW most African Latinos & African Caribbeans I know look up to African Americans, and our cultures influence one another.

making statements like this is to compare and set up a value judgement.
divide and conquer. that is not what black people need right now.
...he's right, Africans, Hispanics from South America, Caribbean Hispanics and African Americans are: watch this -

...inextricably bound genetically...most of us came from So. Western Nigeria, Togo, Congo, Benin ( Old Dahomey ) and many from Ghana...

...the Akan Tribe is many times partnered with Yoruba Hispanic Ceremonies - Afro Hispanic and Afro American as well Black Caribbean and Black and White Brazilian Yoruba, Akan, Congolese, Haitain, Rastas...these people know each other socially. Nyabhingi, a Famous Rasta went back and forth from Jamaica to Africa to New York (where he had a Rasta Store) like he was riding the bus. He was a Jamaican Rasta elder who was also initiated into the healing Arts in Africa. He was a figure head in the Hispanic / African / African American community of Orisha Practitioners.

...In Earth ( Forces of Nature ) Centered Spiritual pursuits. All of the diaspora descendants bring a piece of the universe. In Multi National Yoruba life, there are also White practitioners...There are Orisha families in Sweeden, they practice the same religion as someone in Harlem. We all honor the medicines and ways of the Clans. Droves of Yoruba and many other Earth Centered religions go to the Multi Native, Sun Dance in N.Y.C. every year. They go to the Akom...Akan Healing Ceremony...That's all night Drum rhythms chants and cleansings. That is where you meet Meta Physical America. Amazing people who are not cash rich...just present...fully.

There is obviously a wide variation in our complexions. If you think that there are not near White Africans...do some research. I don't have to, one of three sets of my cousins are bright yellow or "High Yalla". If they did not have our general family facial and body traits, they could pass for White. Their mother was medium brown towards dark. Their Father was half European, also High Yalla. They used the word ****** the most of any of our families. After my Cousins Ed and Cynthia went to West Africa and the Caribbean to see Elders and get their narrative, my light skinned cousins stopped using the word completely in honor of our heritage as African Caribbean Americans.

... Caribbeans all have color complexes because they are African, European, Asian and Indian populations. Puerto Ricans have the same complexes about dark skin...I grew up in N.Y. we were of the same culture>>>N.Y. We went to school together. I saw the Puerto Ricans after school and on weekends...some were my next door neighbors...I never saw the White kids or the Asians after school or weekends.

...this is lived life...not from a book...Chuck and Games are immobilized when that happens....cain't chek'it!...Dunno!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back