Black History Culture : Are indigenous languages dead?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Dec 30, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4536450.stm

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Interesting thread pan. I've heard some co-workers say a similar phenomenon is happening in India as it too has thousands of small languages. Most Indians though know English and one of the primary Indian languages like Punjabi or Hindi on top of their local tongue. Africans on the continent and in the diaspora could follow the same model (AA children could learn English, Swahili and Ebonics).

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Untitled......

"Are indigenous languages dead?"

IMO, it all depends on whether or not the original languages were recorded, and if and where the originators of the specific cultures still exist. It may seem like I'm whining, but all of the tribal differences in culture and language stem from all of the scattering, and "conquering" at the hands of you know who. As the masses scattered and were shipped/dispersed abroad, the clung together in clustered groups and began a new way of life we call a culture. I'm not saying we were one continental people, but there weren't nearly as many differences as we see today.

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I personally think ALL languages and thier many different dialects should be recorded and preserved for future references.
    Every recordable detail should be included so that we have the correct meaning as well as the correct pronounciation of each word.

There's no need for any language to simply fade out in this technological age.

5. atomicangel

atomicangel Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh my gosh! this is scaring me! Even though I don't think that the Zulu language will die out any time soon, i really do need to perfect my mother tongue so that I can pass it down to my future children (if the Lord allows me to have children) so that they will know it.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Please do...Our original African languages are an immeasurably important part of our heritage. Those who still have access to it are obligated to continue the tradition.

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    GREAT TOPIC!

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    These accounts are so sad to hear...that so many of our people are abandoning their native tongues.

But, I am still hopeful in that there are still many who strive to preserve them.