Black People : are HIPHOP PIONEERS being slowly but surely FORGOTTEN?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SOULDEEP3, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    In their recording beginings,KRS ONE,RAKIM,& CHUCK D have all decided to help ELEVATE BLACK CONSCIOUSNESS, & have done so,to a certain degree from the late 80's to the early 90's.....NOWADAYS not too many of our youth under 25 even know who they are,or know about their MAJOR contributions to our struggle,regardless of the fact that they are STILL recording. WHY DON'T TODAY'S GENERATION know who they are,& if they do, they simply brush them off as "old school"? & HOW has KRS,Ra,& CHUCK D. ever effected YOUR life? & finally,what is a favorite line or lines you can quote any one of them saying?

RAKIM: I can take a phrase that's rarely heard~
    flip it ~ now it's your daily word.

KRSONE:If it ain't natural,it ain't kosher~it's like buying & wearing a culture~
    if that culture ain't yours,naturally~it's HIS,not YOURS,actually.

CHUCK D:ELVIS was a hero to most,but he never meant S%#*
    to me,see he's straight out racist the sucker was simple & plain. :maddd:

2. Hesaid

Hesaid Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Chuck D
    "Go take a shower boy"
    ha ha that one was funny.

The most compex piece of rapping has to
    be "THE MC."
    KRSONE. ?Thats the one where he uses the
    chorus as the verse and flips it.
    Genius.

(Keeva you screwed up!)

3. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Those artist wear more poetic. Had a word of wisdom. Something for you to think over and brew on.

Artist today attempt to be poetic.. but they can't get off of slinging the nursery rhymes.

I can't recall any particular line from any of them...

4. whisper

whisper Well-Known Member MEMBER

new artist developer, music promoter ,manage hip-h
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think it comes from a lack of knowledge of self. which starts from the home then school. not knowing and understanding our history. is a reason to me. once these new hip -hopers realize that . maybe than their lyrics will change. then again you have to understand music is a business. and its what the record industry wants. what is making money at that time. whats mainstream. thats why we have underground music , artist that keep it real. they dont do it just for the money but also for the knowledge and freedom to say wharever they want. its just that its not accetpable in the MAINSTREAM.but you would be surprise to find out a lot of artist who have chosen to stay underground to be real and still get paid.

5. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    You've certainly struck a chord with me, SOULDEEP3. One of the young people that posts in the poetry section told me that Run-DMC sucks. They were pioneers, so that viewpoint saddened me.

I attribute the general lack of caring to the same apathy that has set in about so many things over the last several years. A depersonalized society coupled with less love and caring being given to children means they don't give a [email protected] about anything but the here and now. I wish I knew what to do to reverse it.

One of my favorite old school lyricists of all time is MC Lyte. An extremely thoughtful person, she always had a lesson or a message in each rap. I loved that. Still do. Rappers today talk about only three things: sex, money and possessions. I do miss the old days when singin and rhymin carried responsibility with it, and taught by virtue of its very existence.

6. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I think Hip Hop is in a little it of trouble because more artist aren't about the art of the music. They've abused a really cool art form. There are some people out there who are staying true. Like my boy Mos Def. There are a few others. But the key word is "few." It's not just hip hop, but also R&B. I've recently gotten into Calvin Richardson and Kem. I wish there were more people like them out there. I wish more people were staying true to the art form.