Black Spirituality Religion : Are Hebrew Israelites - Christians ?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

This came up recently in a conversation i had, and it's not left my mind.

I don't know a lot about either, but they seem to share some common ground (i.e., the Bible), right?

Is Hebrew Israelite like ... Protestant, Methodist, etc., ... another wing of Christianity?

No disrespect intended, just wanting to understand better.

What are the primary differences between Hebrew Israelites and Christians, if anyone knows.

Or are they totally different and opposite of each other.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    i often wonder if Christians are Christians…….:10500:

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Well being that I'm not one of them but do acknowledge their presence on this site, maybe a few of them will address this so as to do it from their own understanding as opposed to what others view them as being...think so? Hope so.

4. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Hey Destee,
    I guess it all depends on a person's definition of Christian, my definition is someone who is modeling their life after Christ. So, to me, I do consider myself a Christian that is a Hebrew Israelite. I think the major separation between Israelites and others like Baptist, Methodist and so on, is the Sabbath day, and holidays. Also, the dietary law. However, just like many other denominations, everyone doesn't always agree. A lot of Hebrew Israelites that I know do not like the term Christian because they feel as if it associates them with a lot of other belief systems, I however do not base the term Christian on what others do...just my two cents.

5. Gracious

Gracious Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +232

Greetings Destee ... Happy New Year!!!:wave:

Great thread sista!!!

Here's what I've learned concerning the following denominations you'd mentioned:

Black Hebrew Israelites: They are groups of Black Peoples mainly in the United States who believe they are descendants of the ancient Israelites. It appears that many/most Hebrew Israelites REFUSE to be either called or compared to Christians. Yet (to me) they appear to subscribe to much of the Christ-follower's core-beliefs.​

To go deeper please view the following:​

Protestantism: Protestants believe that they are saved by God's forgiving grace. There are varying views among Protestants regarding such matters as the nature and extent of human participation in salvation. Ergo, Protestants (or Pro-test -ants) believe in the Trinity / the Christdom of Jesus & are composed of 100's of denominations. Splitting from much of the Roman Catholic Church doctrine in the 16th century.​

African Methodist Episcopalian - AME / AMEC (A Protestant Denomination): founded by the Rev. Richard Allen in Philadelphia, PA, in 1816 from several Black Methodist congregations in the mid-Atlantic area that wanted independence from white Methodists. They believe in the Apostle Creed, the 25 Articles of Religion & also promote a "Doctrine and Discipline of the African Methodist Episcopal Church" ... revised every 5 yrs.​

Destee my sister, prayerfully after viewing the above links ... the answers to your questions will be made clearer to you.

Much love,:blowkiss:

6. Gracious

Ratings:
    +232
    Thank you my sister, 'cause to me ... at the end of day ... it's all about love! As a Christian myself, it's really not about cookie-cutter / carbon copy beliefs; it's about an "indwelling" that challenges an individual to step out of their comfort zone ... accepting that simply because another doesn't see or "care" to see the importance of what you see ... doesn't negate them!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Agreed!

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

What she said.

There are also Hebrew Israelites that do not believe in the Christ, I've seen, so then they are very different from Christians. It's very much dependent on their belief in the Christ.

Being Hebrew Israelite is a recognition that they are the Israelite people, a recognition of nationality and not necessarily dealing with their entire faith, and so that doesn't disqualify them from being "Christian", especially since that's who were many of the first Christians in the first place, the people of Israel.

One can recognize themselves as an Israelite and declare themselves a Muslim, if they want, but generally that's not the case because of how many find themselves to being the Chosen People, which is through the Bible.

There's nothing that stops anyone from being Christian save for their disbelief in the Savior, and how they behave.

Also, no, it's not really another wing of Christianity.

Having once been Hebrew Israelite, myself, I think I have but a little qualification to speak on it.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Another profound and loaded question Sister Destee, and loaded as in, the answer is very, very comprehensive. Not only do I agree with every poster's comments, but will provide the foundation upon which they arrived at their respective positions.

To date, the below posted video is the best focused conversation I agree with, which speaks directly to your question(s), but first, allow me to correct something, all so-called wings of Christianity and or Bible believers are Protestant:

A Christian Perspective of the Hebrew Israelites

In this broadcast of Giving An Answer, H.C, Felder interviews Leroy Lamar who talks about the origins, practices, and beliefs of the African American religion Hebrew Israelites.

https://archive.org/details/AChristianPerspectiveOfTheHebrewIsraelites

And here's verification from what the below video purports to explain, and my hope that you will be able to listen to the entire( 27:24 seconds ) dialog:

William Saunders Crowdy (August 11, 1847 – August 4, 1908) was an American soldier, preacher, entrepreneur, theologian, and pastor. As one of the earliest Black Hebrew Israelites in the United States, he established the Church of God and Saints of Christ in 1896.

[​IMG]

Ben Ammi Ben‑Israel Yahweh ben Yahweh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Saunders_Crowdy

A Christian Perspective of the Hebrew Israelites

Published on Jun 26, 2012

In this broadcast of Giving An Answer, H.C, Felder interviews Leroy Lamar who talks about the origins, practices, and beliefs of the African American Hebrew Israelites.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. Gracious

Ratings:
    +232
    Hmmm ...:thinking:

Wise Brother,

I am unsure as to your meaning of:

"all so-called wings of Christianity and or Bible believers are Protestant:",

... as not all wings/arms of Christ-following - bible believers (Christians), PRO - TEST certain beliefs/precepts of the Catholic Church. Hence the initial reason for the split (within the Catholic Church).

Are you perhaps meaning that:

" ... all wings of Christianity and or bible believers that stand in protest of certain Catholic precepts ... are Protestant".

If so ... I'm thinking that "this" may speak more towards your point re: the essence/origination of Protestantism?

God bless:)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black hebrew christians