Internet Technology : Are fewer embarking upon web site ownership - due to facebook and like sites?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

It seems like folk are less inclined to build their own sites, with facebook making it so easy for them to live there.

I've not done any research, but it seems like i don't see as many new sites being introduced as in times gone by.

I recognize the ease with which facebook allows folk to intermingle ... but it seems a far cry from owning your own web site.

What do you all think ... are fewer embarking on web site ownership these days?

If so, do you think it's because of facebook ... or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Peace and Blessings Family,

It seems like folk are less inclined to build their own sites, with facebook making it so easy for them to live there.

I've not done any research or anything, but it just seems like i don't see as many new sites being introduced as in times gone by.

I recognize the ease with which facebook allows folk to intermingle ... but it seems a far cry from owning your own web site.

What do you all think ... are fewer embarking on web site ownership these days?

Thanks in advance.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

Yes. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.. have taken over. The anonymous internet is in decline. Everything now is based on your actual identity. And that changes everything.

You remember the BBS days.. and how it ended with the rise of AOL.. The same is happening
with Websites and Social Media. The ones that survive will be the ones that integrate their services.. for example.. sites that give users the option of logging in with their Twitter / Instagram / Facebook, etc..

If you think about it.. Facebook is really just an independent user profile.. so instead of having Profiles at every site you participate at, you have a single facebook profile.. so sites that allow you to skip registration become more appealing.

I've been watching and writing about this for a few years now.. The anonymous internet will rise again though.. but next time it will be more overtly anonymous..

- my 2 cents..

Yes. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.. have taken over. The anonymous internet is in decline. Everything now is based on your actual identity. And that changes everything.

You remember the BBS days.. and how it ended with the rise of AOL.. The same is happening
with Websites and Social Media. The ones that survive will be the ones that integrate their services.. for example.. sites that give users the option of logging in with their Twitter / Instagram / Facebook, etc..

If you think about it.. Facebook is really just an independent user profile.. so instead of having Profiles at every site you participate at, you have a single facebook profile.. so sites that allow you to skip registration become more appealing.

I've been watching and writing about this for a few years now.. The anonymous internet will rise again though.. but next time it will be more overtly anonymous..

- my 2 cents..

I see the "user profile" that facebook gives everyone, and the effort to integrate the major social media networks ... i see it ... but i'm not convinced that it's the wave of the future. Yes, it makes it easier for the novice, but folk don't remain novices always ... and it seems something would stir in them ... to have their own.

When i started on aol, they gave us space to make our own web page. I created one, and it was the stimulus that stirred me ... got me wanting to know how to do more ... how to move away from aol.com ... and have my own domain. In fact, those spaces are very limiting when it comes to creating a web space. I suppose now though, they give you so much, it looks like you're getting a lot when you don't have any web presence ... but that's not true.

One of the things that drew me into web development, was the fact that it was about as level a playing field as i had ever seen. Anyone ... a small business owner ... single Mother with 3 babies ... :mirror: ... anyone ... could have their own domain, their own web site ... just like major corporations ... for relatively a small amount of money and long hours. I was actually amazed that it was so easy to get in on the ground floor. It's still that way, but folk are opting to go with a facebook page, or twitter 'nem ... totally relinquishing their opportunity to build their own.

Yes, they make it easier ... but you don't own it ... you can't do what you want ... you don't ever have the opportunity to earn revenue from advertising (should you grow to be in a position to do so) ... and your entire effort dies at their whim.

I can see using them to promote your own site ... but to depend on them entirely ... just doesn't make sense.

I believe the Internet is still a great opportunity for us ... though one missed ... if folk don't hurry.

I can't imagine that it's always gonna be as "easy" as it is now ... to get involved.

In fact ... it's harder even now for me ... as the technology is advancing so rapidly ... i can hardly keep up.

But it is still an opportunity for young quick minds ... ready to learn ... i just hate to see us miss out on it.

Thanks for Sharing.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

I see the "user profile" that facebook gives everyone, and the effort to integrate the major social media networks ... i see it ... but i'm not convinced that it's the wave of the future. Yes, it makes it easier for the novice, but folk don't remain novices always ... and it seems something would stir in them ... to have their own.

When i started on aol, they gave us space to make our own web page. I created one, and it was the stimulus that stirred me ... got me wanting to know how to do more ... how to move away from aol.com ... and have my own domain. In fact, those spaces are very limiting when it comes to creating a web space. I suppose now though, they give you so much, it looks like you're getting a lot when you don't have any web presence ... but that's not true.

One of the things that drew me into web development, was the fact that it was about as level a playing field as i had ever seen. Anyone ... a small business owner ... single Mother with 3 babies ... :mirror: ... anyone ... could have their own domain, their own web site ... just like major corporations ... for relatively a small amount of money and long hours. I was actually amazed that it was so easy to get in on the ground floor. It's still that way, but folk are opting to go with a facebook page, or twitter 'nem ... totally relinquishing their opportunity to build their own.

Yes, they make it easier ... but you don't own it ... you can't do what you want ... you don't ever have the opportunity to earn revenue from advertising (should you grow to be in a position to do so) ... and your entire effort dies at their whim.

I can see using them to promote your own site ... but to depend on them entirely ... just doesn't make sense.

I believe the Internet is still a great opportunity for us ... though one missed ... if folk don't hurry.

I can't imagine that it's always gonna be as "easy" as it is now ... to get involved.

In fact ... it's harder even now for me ... as the technology is advancing so rapidly ... i can hardly keep up.

But it is still an opportunity for young quick minds ... ready to learn ... i just hate to see us miss out on it.

Thanks for Sharing.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

I hear what your saying..

and the mesh of technologies is getting more and more convoluted. What's happening is the next layer of abstraction is being stretched over the internet.. and what that means is, the internet is becoming more controllable.. the wild wild west phase has passed.. and now
law and order is the focus.. technically speaking.. by the time this wave of so-called innovation
is through, the internet that we see today will be all but gone.. and most of the public will access
the internet through some Interface/Application that hides the messy details.. The internet will become the thing that Iphones and Tablets communicate over.. and the manufacturers of those devices will have complete control of those users experiences and capabilities. All of this manual use of the Internet will be considered "underground".. it will be like using the DOS screen on a Windows machine. The web will be completely buried behind not-so-obvious-to-use Application Programming Interfaces(APIs).

Of course, there will still be opportunities for entrepreneurs, but they will be competing with
behemoth companies that control just how much of the internet their customer's SEE.

The result will be more and more extreme web-communities.. more racist sites.. more conspiracy sites.. illegal communities.. etc..

That said.. the wave of the future (actually now) is Apps.. Android Apps.. Iphone Apps.. that'll be how web communities thrive.. That's one of the reasons I suggested we make an destee App some years ago.. having a Mobile-friendly interface and Social Media integration is, in my opinion, the key to staying relevant in the current technical environment.. You get your App out there onto 20,000 devices.. and you clock the advertising revenue for each one.. or, you can give a company like Tapatalk access to your content and let them have your Ad revenue..

I hear what your saying..

and the mesh of technologies is getting more and more convoluted. What's happening is the next layer of abstraction is being stretched over the internet.. and what that means is, the internet is becoming more controllable.. the wild wild west phase has passed.. and now
law and order is the focus.. technically speaking.. by the time this wave of so-called innovation
is through, the internet that we see today will be all but gone.. and most of the public will access
the internet through some Interface/Application that hides the messy details.. The internet will become the thing that Iphones and Tablets communicate over.. and the manufacturers of those devices will have complete control of those users experiences and capabilities. All of this manual use of the Internet will be considered "underground".. it will be like using the DOS screen on a Windows machine. The web will be completely buried behind not-so-obvious-to-use Application Programming Interfaces(APIs).

Of course, there will still be opportunities for entrepreneurs, but they will be competing with
behemoth companies that control just how much of the internet their customer's SEE.

The result will be more and more extreme web-communities.. more racist sites.. more conspiracy sites.. illegal communities.. etc..

That said.. the wave of the future (actually now) is Apps.. Android Apps.. Iphone Apps.. that'll be how web communities thrive.. That's one of the reasons I suggested we make an destee App some years ago.. having a Mobile-friendly interface and Social Media integration is, in my opinion, the key to staying relevant in the current technical environment.. You get your App out there onto 20,000 devices.. and you clock the advertising revenue for each one.. or, you can give a company like Tapatalk access to your content and let them have your Ad revenue..

Your prediction seems reasonable ... unfortunate ... but reasonable.

The technology has changed so much since i started learning. It was hard then, but it's even harder now. When i started, the term "webmaster" was just being defined, and that one person did everything. It's hard to live up to that now. The technologies have branched off into specialties, that are careers in and of themselves. No one person (webmaster) can do it all anymore, on any site of significant size. What was once a "more level playing field" has almost ceased to exist. The only thing that keeps destee.com viable is the fact that i do all the work. If i had to pay someone to do what i do, destee.com would have been dead long ago. I was fortunate to come into this during the time that i did, when the webmaster did everything, which gave me the opportunity to learn many different things. But a person can't even learn the way i learned now. It's too much. They aren't teaching it the way i learned years ago. You can't even approach it from that aspect anymore.

I remember you mentioning the app, but i'm not a programmer, and as i've said so many times before ... i'm often struggling with just keeping up with what we have ... without daring to try to add anything new. It was, and is, still beyond me.

It's fast getting to the point that i am imagining destee.com not here. I certainly think about it, as it relates to the enormous amounts of time and cost it requires, that no one else will do if i'm not here ... and that we can't afford to pay someone to do. I don't get paid for any of my time, and no one else will or should work under these conditions.

I do it because i love it ... i love this community ... the respectful interactions we have ... but ... the future does not look bright.

We say we want our own ... but i think that means ... if someone is going to give it to us ... and not if we gotta work and sacrifice for it. That's where the rubber meets the road ... and those behemoths you mentioned .... know this ... and are already making everyone comfortable in the spaces they've built ... where there is no obvious cost to the site visitor ... so when small(er) sites like ours don't exist anymore ... no one will miss them.

It's really kinda sad ... given the opportunity before us.

I've never wanted anyone else's stuff. I've always tried to create our own solution right here at destee. Even our web conferencing platform. It would be less expensive to use youtube, twitchtv, etc., exclusively ... but that would never satisfy me. I want our own, and we have our own ... but it's so hard to maintain and keep up with ... being just one person doing the work ... with no compensation.

It's a situation, that on the surface, can't end well ... it seems.

Thanks for sharing.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back