Black Money Business Jobs : ARE CO-OPS THE WAY?

IFE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 20, 2015
Scholars and community activists called for more research on cooperatives in response to a Department of Agriculture hearing in September, beseeching officials to study urban and worker-owned co-ops among different racial groups. Such research could lead to better information on the number, type, and growth of black-owned and managed co-ops.

1. Are Co-Ops The Way? - Black Enterprise
    http://www.blackenterprise.com/are-co-ops-the-way/ - 198k - Cached - Similar pages
    Dec 1, 2005 ... Scholars and community activists called for more research on cooperatives in response to a Department of Agriculture hearing in September, beseeching officials to study urban and worker-owned co-ops among different racial groups. Such research could lead to better information on the number, type, and ...

What is your experience with Co-ops? Have you participated in Co-op housing, food buying, utilities, etc.

Personally, I prefer Co-ops. When I lived in my hometown of KCMO Co-op was kinda popular. Each State is different.
I lived in a Co-op townhouses.
There were no vacancies when I applied. I was on the waiting list for someone to sell their Co-op. You may sell your Co-op according to any improvements made to the property. I bought in for a couple thousand dollars and my monthly payment was $300. That’s the power of cooperative living.
Each resident is also part owner. As a result of their partial ownership the grounds were kept clean and monitored by those invested in the Co-op.

Working at George Washington Carver Neighborhood Center, another coworker/volunteer and my self start Co-op food buying.
We bought from Black farmers, neighborhood gardens. Made arrangements with meat markets, grocery stores, etc. it’s hard work without enough workers.

The difficulty comes when you ask for payment before the food is available. We needed to collect monies for orders to purchase the food before week end. Food will be available the following Friday.
We would calculated the amount each person would have to pay for their order, depending on number of orders. Less than the grocery store.
We make a list of food including meats available for order.
We might have 20 regulars who alway ordered.
Then their neighbor comes in with attitude because nobody told her.
Not to worry, we got extra just for you. We always had extra.
Our utility company is Co-op. Not black, but cost less. And every year or so we get a small refund.

Are Co-ops the answer for Black economic control in our communities.

I would love to met up with like minded people and start another food Co-op. Prices are going up by dollar amounts not just pennies and dimes.

The Power of Cooperatives
For the African-American community, co-ops represent a tool for social and economic progress

• In Tennessee, black farmers couldn’t buy gas, so they went across state lines to purchase it at a cooperative they formed.
  • In Alabama, black women couldn’t get jobs or were fired because they registered to vote, so they created quilting bee cooperatives.
  • In Mississippi and Louisiana, black farmers couldn’t get their goods to market because of discrimination by white truckers, so they established their own cooperative trucking business.
  1. The Power of Cooperatives - America's Electric Cooperatives - nreca
    https://www.electric.coop/cooperative-ownership-black-community/ - 72k - Cached - Similar pages

Black Neighbors Band Together to Bring in Healthy Food, Co-op-Style

Malik Yakini is executive director of the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network, a coalition of people and groups that promotes urban agriculture, co-operative buying, and healthy eating. His organization is helping Black people in the city take matters into their own hands by creating their own grocery store, The Detroit People’s Co-op. The grocery will sit in the city’s North End neighborhood, where about 92 percent of residents are Black and nearly 40 percent have a household income less than $15,000.

1. Black Neighbors Band Together to Bring in Healthy Food, Co-op-Style
    http://www.resilience.org/stories/2...band-together-bring-healthy-food-co-op-style/ - 83k - Cached - Similar pages

The Power of Cooperative Ownership in the Black Community

Cooperatives continue to play a significant role in social and economic development in the Black community. From financial independence and desegregated housing, to small farmer empowerment and food security, cooperatives are an integral part of the Black experience that has often been silenced.

1. The Power of Cooperative Ownership in the Black Community
    http://ncba.coop/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/event/info&Itemid=733&reset=1&id=109 - 89k - Cached - Similar

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back