Black People : are blacks the only ones with dirty laundry?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    i visit a couple white sites and a couple black sites.

on the white sites, the conservative white people vigorously defend against any hint that white people have ever done any thing wrong.
    their entire world view is based on white superiority.

on the black sites, when ever anyone mentions Cosby or some other trigger word, the black people go into an orgy of self blame and hatred.
    every black poster knows of some no good negro that they can point out.

i wonder if this is a healthy situation.

i've yet to see a white person bashing their people like we do on a regular basis.
    even when the white guys are wrong, they're still right.
    the most staunch nationalist still spends time pointing out the shortfalls of those "other" negroes.

it seems as though black folk are the only ones with dirty laundry and the only ones who feel bad about their selves.

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Good topic James :D

But I think black people are harder on ourselves for a number of reasons. One of them is that we have been conditioned to think we are inferior for such a long time, and in our zeal to disprove this notion we sometimes run roughshod over our own people. Holding each other up to unrealistic standards.

Then there is the whole crabs in the barrel dynamic. We still have that problem ingrained in our psyches. Sometimes I think our people need a mass excorcism to rid us of the demons put on by the slave master.

Another brother on the forum said that the spirits of white slave masters often interfere in our lives. That in fact causes problems among our people, much the same way he/she did when we were on the plantation. Seems like they're still up to their old tricks.

I don't want to give the impression that the reason we air our dirty laundry and continue to pull each other down is soley the fault of white folks, but I do think there are provacateurs. Seen and Unseen. The question is how and when are we going to identify the root causes. Are we prepared to step outside the box to take a more radical look at what is prompting this behaviour?

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree that we black people don't stick together as much as we should, and we are too divided. One thing that isn't going to help us is pretending that everything wrong with us is a white man's doing. I think that's where a lot of these posters that you're talking about, are coming from. What are we going to get accomplished by blaming everyone but ourselves? We can't be in denial and move forward at the same time. We are heavily oppressed and conditioned, but we also need to make sure that we don't fall into their (white people) trap because we will never pull ourselves out. White people deny everything, from racism, to police profiling to oppression, that's because they are in denial and they don't want people to acknowledge where all the wealth and power comes from. It's not from being smarter and superior, it's from being low-down and immoral. The reason they do it is to keep themselves on top of the game. If all people started to acknowledge the facts, they wouldn't be as proud as they are of their white race. That's them, we have to be honest with ourselves, and also be strong enough to fix the problems that we have...without hiding behind them.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Are blacks the only ones with dirty laundry? NO.

Are blacks the only ones that like to publically display that dirty laundry? Unfortunately Yes!

No community is as willing to display their grievances, insecurities, and disputes than black people. We do so on TV, Radio, Magazines, Movies, Books, Music, Beauty Salons, Street Corners, Work, Church, etc. We tell our business openly & reluctantly, bashfully & shamelessly....from the most trivial matters to the most intimate secrets. There is little that goes on in our households & neighborhoods that we won't share with the rest of the world. Thus the belief that the "problems" of the Black Community don't exist in other communities.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    [SIZE=3] In other words, we the only people that keep it real, regardless! :) [/SIZE]

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    is that a good thing?

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    A very good deep question Jamesfrmphilly........is it a good thing ?
    well it can be but as white folks they don't keep nothing real , they lie to protect
    each other and move ahead on these very lies , we as black folks comes correct
    and real and divided as ever which keeps us down and set out as dirty laundry
    for the world to see .

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    We are not alone.

We are not the only ones with dirty laundry. Just watch Jerry Springer or Maury Povich. I firmly believe we must examine ourselves and our actions. We continue to propetuate the same cycle of dysfunction within our communities generation after generation. We must tear down this dysfunction in order to build ourselves up. In order to tear down the dysfunction we must identify it ergo dirty laundry. There is nothing wrong with exposing to dispose but we seen to be doing more exposing and less disposing or so it may seem.

Peace

Radical Faith

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Those aren't taken seriously though, especially Springer. However Essence Magazine is, Ebony Magazine is, BET is, Newspapers are, the 6 o'clock news is.........

10. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    there is no white people laundry, more dirtier than..."poor white trash"...

What is so interesting is, not only do neo-con Whites circle the wagons when it comes to defending their racist proclivities and their patriotic support for systemic racism. But when it comes to their own dirty laundry, better known as “poor white trash” or “trailer park trash” (their terms, not mines), They (poor whites) are hidden away and are rarely discussed.

After years of watching, one “poverty in America” or “ghetto” documentary after another, starring Black people, I have seen over the years, only ONE such documentary about poor whites. “…and if you think we got issues!!…:eeek:

And what’s so interesting about this class/caste of white people, they are the largest group (dollar for dollar) of poor people and welfare recipients in America.

NOTE:
    I've always said, "studying our own culture is paramount and necessary, but to get a "true" understanding of the European’s psyche, every progressively-thinking African American, should get a “true” understanding of the “REAL” sociology and history of Europeans...it is mind-blowing and eye opening.