Black People : Are blacks in America "A Nation within A Nation"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kemetkind, Feb 26, 2006.

?

Are Black People in America "A Nation Within A Nation"

1. Yes we are a black nation within, and we must learn to depend on ourselves.

68.0%
  2. No we are Americans only, we already have sufficient rights under laws that aren't being enforced.

16.0%
  3. No we are not even citizens, we need a mass exodus out of America.

16.0%
  1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm interested to hear opinions on this.

I've heard recently about some black people not considering themselves American, not being citizens at all, only former slaves still chained (and supposedly doing little more than waiting to be put of our misery).

But I'm wondering if there are any who believe in black nationalism, one rooted in black politics, culture, and history, not biology nor any separatist definition of race.

Are we a black nation within America who should orient ourselves to demand treatment as such? Or are we lost in the wilderness, too weak to return home, waiting patiently for babylon to fall and our homeland to come get us?

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812

There is NO definition of black nationalism based on politics, culture, and history alone. If you're posing such an idea, then the race card MUST be played. Otherwise, why call it "black" nationalism????

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This would have been a nice question 30 years ago, but as of 2006, this question needs to be expanded. In the beginning there were two groups of our people here. (1.) Africans in America and (2.) African Americans.

Now we have three or more groups. African, African Americans, [email protected] and Black people. We also have those who will tell you to your face, "I ain't black or none of that, I'm Muslim."

What we are and WHAT WE CONSIDER OR SEE OURSELVES AS, IS THE ONLY DETERMINING FACTOR HERE. "PHYSICALLY WE ARE A NATION WITHIN A NATION"...but that means nothing if we are identifying ourselves differently, if we are bonding differently, and if we have agendas that are different.

Example: I say the white man/woman is our enemy. Guess how many of our people don't see it or feel that way ?? I say that we must link with those in our Mother land in order to be ACTUALLY EMPOWERED. Guess how many don't see it or feel that way...even though they can acknowledge that everybody else is raping the natural resources there for themselves.

Face it, there is no such thing as a Jamacian, a Trinidadian, a Haitian, an American or an Dominican. All those African people were on the same [email protected] boat !!! So what happens? Some Africans get dropped off at Jamaica, some at Haiti, some at Dominica, some at Trinidad and some at America. All these "AFRICAN PEOPLE BEING DROPPED OFF AT DIFFERENT PLACES...NOW COMING BACK TO YOU TELLING YOU THAT THEY ARE NOT AFRICAN ANYMORE." WHAT WILL WE CALL OURSELVES IF THE WHITE MAN DECIDES TO CHANGE THE NAMES OF THE PLACES FROM JAMAICA OR TRINIDAD OR HAITI OR AMERICA TO SOMETHING ELSE ?? WILL WE THEN BECOME THE NEW NAME?

The Nationalist understands that "nationalism goes beyond where you at". It applies to every African no matter where he is on the planet. Why ?? Because wherever there's an African, there's also a "white hand that is politically, economically, educationally, and socially oppressing them. When it's not "DIRECT" THEN IT'S INDIRECT. IF IT'S NOT COLONIALISM, THEN IT'S NEO-COLONIALISM.

How many of us in America have become nothing more than a carbon copy of the European who happens to have black skin ? Well, I didn't mean to digress from your thread, I just felt the need for some expansion on it. Based upon my understanding I could not vote in your question.

Peace !!

4. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    I don't disagree with that. Obviously race is an element.

I'm drawing a distinction between an inclusive black nationalism and one that so narrowly defines race that a large percentage of black folk in America barely qualify as members.

I'm talking about a black nationalism that is rooted, as in founded and sustained by, elements other than just genetics alone...otherwise too many that are valued contributors are excluded and too many that are contributing nothing other than their skin color are automatically included.

5. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812

Ok..well...we've been over the 'blackness' issue already. So, from my perspective at least, black nationalism would exclude people who aren't black...now what?

6. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61

What happened since 1976 that split us from Africans and African-Americans into the 2 additional groups of n!iggers and black people? What exactly distinguishes one from any of the others?

I can agree that agendas are never going to be 100% aligned among our people, we are not monolithic. But IF there is a group that has recognized a need for unification around common goals, AND we are consider ourselves physically a nation within a nation, can't that group produce an agenda and work towards it?

Are you saying were the question "Are Africans in America a Nation within a Nation", then you could have voted?

Personally, I think requiring the word "African" be used to describe our race IS really semantics....and less valid than using Black. I mean where and when did the word "Africa" originate? What is the connection between Kemetic and "black?"

7. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    For those that believe we are a nation within, it makes sense to work towards a national agenda strengthening that nation. Tavis and them have laid one out, so should black nationalists plug into those areas they're aligned with, or create a new one entirely, or sit on the sidelines?

8. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812

Ultimately, it depends on what the final goal is....that's why it's extremely crucial that people are on the same page as far as agenda. I didn't vote, but, practically speaking, I recognize that currently we are functioning as a nation within a nation; with that understanding, we are still living under 'greater' rule. If we accept that, then yes, there will be things that are necessary on a TEMPORARY basis to do for survival/transitional sake. HOWEVER, if we are working for FULL nationalism, then the temporary methods are not doable long term. Nationalism, in the fullest sense of the term, will require way more time and research than whatever Tavis and the crew have in mind......not even having heard the plan, I am almost thoroughly convinced of that.

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I think AAs are currently a nation within a nation. IMO, AAs need to try to survive the "here and now" before anyone starts making grandiose plans for a separate nation in the future.

If we can't stop the present negative trends in our community (based on negative stats), there simply won't be many AAs left to split off into a separate nation anyway.

10. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812

That would be called TRANSITION. However, the LARGER goal should never be forgotten or put on a back burner. Complacency is why we didn't do much of anything but 'fit in' at the advent of integration.