Black People : ARE BLACK NAMES STUPID?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    This topic is open for discussion. What are "we" to do about this?

Federal Judge: Enough With the Stupid Names

After Judge Cabrera’s historic ruling, little Clitoria Jackson will likely undergo a name change.

(DETROIT) In a decision that’s expected to send shockwaves through the African-American community—and yet, give much relief to teachers everywhere—a federal judge ruled today that black women no longer have independent naming rights for their children. Too many black children—and many adults—bear names that border on not even being words, he said.

“I am simply tired of these ridiculous names black women are giving their children,” said U.S. Federal Judge Ryan Cabrera before rendering his decision. “Someone had to put a stop to it.”

http://thepeoplesnews.wordpress.com/2008/03/02/federal-judge-enough-with-the-stupid-names/

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Personally I have no problem with the ruling what-so-ever. Since a vast majority of our people are infected by white supremacy and have assimilated the value systems of white people within ourselves, it does not surprise me that we would exhibit the effect of our sickness in the naming of our children. Even a person rebelling against white society on certain levels without any knowledge of self is still going to do so from a European perspective without knowing that they are doing it from that perspective....thus the ignorance displayed in the crazy names. We will reflect our conditions and our conditioning in one way or another if we have not been deprogrammed.

A name that can not be defended historically or culturally is an aberration of a peoples existence. I am not speaking of Europeans for they are an aberration also. We can get crazy by saying stupid things like; I'm in a land where they say we are free...and we ain't free from jack, so at least I'll be free to name my child whatever I want to since I ain't got it no where else...but that too is an effect of white supremacy....making the person a victim without the person knowing that they are a victim even in their act of rebellion in the naming process of their child.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    oh come on man! i agree with almost every post of yours I read,but get off these womens backs. They are simply showing creativity, what about whites with dumb namnes??? Boomer Esiaon? Dweezle and moon fry Zappa? Hanz and Franz?
    Who cares if you want to create your own name, that is your business.This ruling will have no effect on "black names". Clitoria is a little strange possibly perverse , but why as a black man would you reinforce hatred of creative black names?

Whats next? we all have to dress the same,talk the same,and eat the same?

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    um

i thought we were doing this already

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    So I see that you didn't understand my post, huh? So lets break it down.

Are you saying that I should agree with the effect of the sickness? I think not. I recognize it for what it is and understand why.

What up here did you disagree with? Are we not products of our conditions, our experiences and our education?...Who formed the conditions? Who was our educator?...and do we not take our education and our conditioning into our experiences? Seems to me that White supremacy got their hands all up in that too....so what are we reflecting if not the effects of white supremacy in our thoughts, conditions and experiences?

I specifically said in this post that it wasn't about Europeans and I'll be darn if you didn't come right behind me and use them as an example. See what I'm saying about white supremacy?...We are all victims and you just displayed it in this post. We as people have always been creative and no one should want to deny a mother that right...however, when that creativity has a European foundation to it then the cultural and historical extension and reality to who we are as a people is cut off. If a name is not African, Asian, Oriental, European or so called Indian...then what is it? Words like names reflect something or someone...whether cultural, historical, spiritual or idealistic.

So since you say that they are simply being creative, from what foundation are they being creative on? In other words, what reflection does their so called creativity reflect?...and remember, it has to reflect someone or something from somewhere.

6. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Just in case for those who didn't read the article it is a satire, but still it gave very interesting points about the naming of our children.

It's clear that a mindset is at play here, and the divorce from our culture and traditional sciences plays a role too.

7. naija-man

naija-man Well-Known Member MEMBER

STUDENT
    Ratings:
    +9
    The story isn't serious....but it does make one think.
    there are sum "exotic" names out there...
    it seems the writer of this article has seen many episodes of:Muary,ricki lake, jerry springer......

8. MenNefer

MenNefer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Psuedo Names

I would say our exotic (bordering on kooky) names is an innate attempt to capture the (indigeneous) linguistic elements that should be assigned to us. It is a way to rebel without being informed. ShaniQua, for instance, has some interesting phonemes. I"ng" or NK Shani"NG"ua. I can remember saying "Hip" Phrases in the hood that didnt have a definitive meaning to it ..it just had a cool sound and people said it different ways to punctuate what they were talking about.

9. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i won't say stupid but i'll say this,of course a parent is entitled to name their child whatever but i suggest that you consult with a book of names[african-american,ect.]to find out what the name means[yes it matters]that's my two cents worth.

10. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    I think there was a thread similar to this one last year and I commented in it so I'll comment in this one too. I was born in 1971 and I have one of those so-called "exotic" names that the judge is referring to. I am proud of my name, I don't necessarily feel that my name is exotic but you won't find my first name in a baby naming book LOL. My parents did not go too far when they named me, but I certainly went to school with some kids who's parents crossed the line IMO.

IMHO some parents are not thinking long term when they are naming these babies. When I was born I think parents just wanted to give their kids differnet names because of the black pride that was going at the time. Now some of these names are just ridiculous and silly. I have seen firsthand how these kids suffer on the first day of school when the teacher is trying to pronounce these exotic names. Especially when I was in school those teachers couldn't say our names and some of us got laughed at by other kids. I lived in the suburbs most of my childhood life so I was usually one of a handfull of black kids in my classroom.

I do not think that the government should have a say in what we name our children but I would rather see parents put a little thought into these names. Other races like to name their kids a certain way and we do the same but because our names aren't in a baby naming book they are deemed different or inferior to standard names.