Black People : Are Black Leaders Efective?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Natinr, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    How effective have Black leaders been in dealing resolutely and positvely with these issues we see in the hood each day
    1. unemployment
    2. high school drop outrate
    and youths lack of awareness of Afrocentricity
    3. drugs pumped into our communities
    4. overt racism on television and movies
    5. need for a means to train and gainfully employing our young men and women coming out of;
    prison and
    the military
    6.Need for Black cross emergency unit
    7. Need for our own hospitals and our own natoinal medicaid to best service our elderly
    8.Need for Black oversight Commitee
    of Safe Living;
    a. to monitor, and prevent toxic
    dumping, adjacent to our comunities
    b. to monitor an prevent, cancer causing power cables and microwave towers(cell phone) from being placed
    adjacent to homes in our communities
    c. to prevent the dumping of toxic toys
    from China into our communities
    d. to prevent poor quality, geneticaly processed and cloned foods fro entering our stores, (also preventing the
    chemical based peudo malt liqours)
    e. forbidin of cancer cuasing 24 hour fast food joints(chemilally processed and flavored chicken, burgers, pizza, fries;
    to be replaced by our restaurants, private and coop.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Largely ineffective...

Why?

I cant list all of the reasons but Black leadership tends to model their behavior after white folks. When white folks start a housing development they build new schools but also here comes Lowes, Walmart, 7 Eleven, Target, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Starbucks...notice the treand. Retail. Low paying service sector jobs which attract minority and low income white laborers. Black leaders emulate this behavior and FRANCHISE these same fast food and retail establishments. Oh yeah. Cant forget Blockbuster and/or hollywood video outlets. Many of these establishments have "toxic work environments". I can attest to this from working at a 7-Eleven last summer...in the suburbs...lol!

There are a FEW programs to address numbers 1-7 but they are few and far between. The rest are a result of a LACK of "Black oversight".

3. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    The mission of the Tavis Smiley Foundation is to enlighten, encourage and empower youth by providing leadership skills that will promote the quality of life for themselves, their communities and our world.
    Since its inception more than 3,000 youth ages 13 to 18 have participated in the foundations leadership training workshops and conferences. Many teens in the program have entered and completed college, organized health fairs and voter registration drivers, conducted teen town hall meetings, started businesses and interned with city mayors and presidential candidates.

[​IMG]

http://www.youthtoleaders.org/home.asp

We need to get together to turn out comparable numbers. In addition we need to encourage other web communities, organizations, etc. to do the same.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    can a really good jockey win a race on a lame horse?

5. We

We Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nationbuilding
    Ratings:
    +11
    I share Bro James' sentiments.

Another question to consider is: Are Black people effective followers?

Someone said, "If you call yourself a leader and look back to find that no one is following, then you're just out taking a stroll."

Hit me up on my new website: www.takingastroll.org

Seriously, I believe that if we become more involved in our communities and demonstrated social and political activism, effective leaders would emerge.

What's the difference between the generation of people in the civil-rights era and today's generation? Is it the people or the leadership?

I believe that there are among us, men and women who are as brave, as talented, as eloquent, as commited, kwk -if not more, than some of our Black leaders in the past.

The problem is that they don't aspire because they are not inspired.

Lazarus aka We

6. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    My point exactly, that is the reason for the other 2 posts regarding us taking up the mantle and the post on the Nguzo saba
    so we can stimulate some discussion of this right here so we can inspire each other!!!

7. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you, that is deep

I get your point, but a real good jockey knows how to turn a wild young colt into a thorobread, and there arent many jockeys doing that, yeah we have Tavis Smiley and what he does needs to be supported but, i guess from my ignorance I do not know wether his approach is Afrocentric or not and not Afrocentric in the terms Metaseiance, mentions
    but Afrocentric at heart

8. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    He probably is less Afrocentric than most folks here. But the thing is he does not disqualify it. African-centered brothers and sisters sit on his panels, right next to "Black" neo-cons who decide to attend. Farrakhan even sits on the panel. It does not matter. He uses your formula. You will work with anyone willing to work on African-American Empowerment.

He doesn't do what I do. He, like you, moves the debate to what should be done to help our people. They reach conclusions with few dissenters. They make no excuse for our lack of "enthusiasm" to do what is right". Nor do they make excuses for crazed irresponsible "racism". They debate it all. From Hip-Hop to Neo-con rhetoric. From gender wars to education. They cover it all, give insights, inspire debate, and formulate strategy.

Give it a chance in late February. It will be on CSPAN. If I can, I will wave to you from the audience.

But I believe he is the best leader we got, right now.

One of America’s most celebrated and respected media personalities, Tavis Smiley hosts a half-hour nightly talk show on PBS, Tavis Smiley, that reaches 92% of America’s households and is seen in 187 countries through American Forces Network. The Tavis Smiley Show from PRI reaches 800,000 listeners each weekend. His social and political commentary heard regularly on The Tom Joyner Morning Show reaches 8 million listeners weekly. His annual symposium, State of the Black Union, featuring America’s premiere thought leaders, engages thousands of attendees and over 100 million viewers worldwide. Published under Smiley Books, his most recent book, The Covenant In Action, hit the New York Times Best Sellers List. Tavistalks.com generates more than 246,000 hits daily.

9. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I do remember.....

he met with Chavez along with Belafonte and a consortium of Blacbusinessmen, I got to give him support!

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    are black leaders...

basically they're useless and powerless to do any real good or effect real change,oh they get in front of the cameras and put on a good show and even lead a march when the script calls for it but behind the scenes they just wanna get paid and we get played.