Law Forum : Are Attorneys Expensive

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 25, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

If attorneys are the first thing a person should ask for, if found in the clutches of the law, how expensive will this be?

I know everyone has right to counsel, but i've never really heard anything good about the free ones, so most folk are gonna want to have their own i'd imagine.

So with this being the case, what's the average cost for an attorney, if one is in trouble?

Oh my gosh ... it's sending shivers through me, even putting myself in this place ... where i'm in trouble, need an attorney, and don't even know how much they cost ... and aint got no money!!! Oh Gosh!!!

How much does an attorney cost ... let's say ... to successfully defend you over a murder case, or robbery, or drugs, or something that will get you real time in prison.

Are we talking 10K, 20K, 50K, or 100K dollars? What's the smallest amount of money that can be spent, and still get the job done?

Any ideas Family?

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister PhynxofKmt shared the following:

and i found this here ... How Much Does a Criminal Attorney Cost?

The cost of hiring a criminal attorney depends a great deal on the nature and severity of the charges, the complexity of the case, the lawyer's years of experience and the size of the law firm, among other factors. Fees can vary significantly in different cities, counties and states.

Typical costs:

* A lawyer will almost always want to meet and discuss the specific circumstances of your case before quoting a fee, either an hourly rate ($100-$300) or a flat charge based on the type of case, such as $500-$1,200 for first-time drunk driving charges. However, legal costs for a complex DUI/DWI case can easily run anywhere from $2,500 to $25,000, according to MSN.com.

* A retainer is an up-front fee you pay to hire your attorney, usually a percentage of the total case fee or the equivalent of several hours work. A lawyer working on an hourly basis deducts that hourly rate from the retainer as the work is done; when the retainer is gone, you are billed for additional payment.

* For misdemeanor charges, retainers usually start around$2,000-$4,000. In felony cases the retainers can be $5,000-$10,000, but could easily be $25,000-$50,000 or more for extremely serious charges, such as homicide or sexual assault.

* If you can't afford to pay legal fees and you are facing criminal charges that could result in a jail or prison term of six months or more, you are legally entitled to a lawyer at no charge to you; the judge will either appoint a private attorney or assign a government public defender to represent you.

Click Here to Read More ... http://www.costhelper.com/cost/finance/criminal-attorney.html

Using the $300.00 per hour rate, that's $2400 for an 8 hour day ... and that's just the attorney's fees, no expert witnesses, no forensic testing, and you've only bought 8 hours of their time?!!

Up to $25,000 for a DUI/DWI case ??

Oh my gosh ... this is some expensive stuff.

:heart:

Destee

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I say its cheaper to learn law yourself and do it yourself.

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    In terms of co-ownership of real property between two parties would an attorney be needed or can the complainant party win the case on their own?

5. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    For most people due to their ignorance of the law and the inability to research the law, they'll need an attorney.

If a person is in business, a business is represented by an attorney.

If the complainant knows he is entering a civil court, he could pick up civil procedure, drafting of forms of procedure, and legal research.

In terms of co-ownership of real property between two parties, is it a contractual dispute?
    If there is no contract, the (equity) court will have to hash out whose rights and duties are whose.

I'm not an attorney, nor am I claiming to be one. I'm merely relaying my personal opinion on legal matters.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    a dispute over a
    singed agreement, also one party, causing undue expenses upon the other party due to negligence, and

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Now you mention research the law , what are some good links to get that kind of info?

8. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Contract disputes and undue expenses are purely a case in equity.

The focus would be in crafting an effective pleading, supporting evidence, and effective use of legal tools and legal procedure.

9. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    You have:

Statutory "law"
    Case "law"
    Book of forms
    Words & Phrases
    "Restatement of" series
    Am. Jur. (American Jurisprudence) ... legal encyclopedia
    C.J.S. (Corpus Juris Secundum)... legal encyclopedia

Your best bet is to find a local library and begin your research there.

As far as civil procedure, it doesn't get any better than Jurisdictionary.

In the case of a contracts, contract makes the law.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    :toast::toast::toast::jumping: