Black People : Are Alliances good for black people?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by IntelligentNoir, Nov 1, 2007.

1. IntelligentNoir

IntelligentNoir Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    There seems to be this consensus among at least some blacks that we as a people should align ourselves with any and all groups who have found themselves on the recieving end of the white man's opression, gay, latino ect. But I have to ask, are alliances with other groups in the best interest of blacks or should black solely focus on creating cohesiveness within our own community? Yes, alliances are nescessary or No. Either way explain your persepctive. Thanks in advance

IN

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    are alliances good...?

it seems to me that today whenever some groups wants to further it's own cause[gays-latinos,ect.]they drag us into it,we as a people have our own battles to fight so until we can help ourselves we can't help anybody else.

3. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    There is power in numbers. The more the better...not that a small number of people can't achieve a goal. It's easy to ignore 5 people. However, it's very difficult to ignore 5,000 people.

In saying that, we must be very careful in selecting who to align with. If they are NOT of our character, then it's best that we not align ourselves with them.

"Seperate but equal" also applies. We should work together...not combine organizations. Here, I'm saying that we could work with orgranizations but not be combined with that organization as if eliminating both original organizations and constructing a totally new organization.

Alignment with certain specifications met would best suit us. Until then, we should seek to build "working" relationships with those in places we seek a favorable decision.

Peace, Fam.

:D

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    There is an old saying that says: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". This is true beyond all doubt but at the same time we must watch even those we aliegn with so that they do not become the new oppressor on our backs. We went through this with the Arabs against the Europeans.