Black People : ARE AFRICAN AMERICANS PREJUDICED AGAINST OTHER AFRICAN PEOPLE?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, May 13, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Again, I am prompted to ask this question based on statements to that effect by some of our Continental and Diasporan brethren. I am convinced in some ways that what they say about us is more than rhetorical, as I have heard things said about both that made me cringe. I am certain that I have made some statements about, particularly, White folks, that have made other folks cringe. So I don't think it above or beneath African Americans to express prejudiced points of view.

In any event, If this be the case, is it something we should work on? Afterall, we, whose ancestors fought so valliantly against hatred, prejudice, bigotry, and White Supremacy, do have a legacy to uphold. I don't think that by attributing it to living among the White Supremacists so long, or that is a human thing, is an excuse, by the way. We do the things we do by our own choices. Are some African Americans making the wrong choice to be and express prejudiced and bigoted ideas and perspectives against our brethren? What do you do when these views are expressed in your presence???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i have never heard it or seen it.
    maybe i was always around more conscious black people.

i have never heard any type of negativity from AAs toward Africans.
    any negativity i have heard has come from the continentals.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    With the exception of a handful of remarks about how dark their skin is (which African Americans also say about each other), I have never heard that much negativity towards Africans either. Now if the questions is do African Americans have Apathy towards the struggles of Africans, then I would answer: Yes! However, we are also apathetic towards the struggles of other African Americans. But to answer the question are African Americans prejudiced against other African people: No I really do not believe so.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Pan, I know that you, as a sports fan, are familiar with the remarks made some years ago by Reggie White. I know you cringed to hear the brother making those remarks, as I did. For one, I had a great deal of respect for Reggie as the greatest defensive linemen ever(still do), and believed that as an ordained minister he would never stoop so low as to allow such nonsense to escape his mouth.

I have, indeed, heard other African Americans making some remarks about, particularly Latinos, such as some the late Mr. White made. I am wondering from others, as well as yourselves, Pan and James, if you've heard African Americans making such ignorant statements, and what, if any, were your responses when you heard them - if you heard them?

On another tip, are we as African Americans guilty of an unconscious belief that as we were subjected to all kinds of abuses of our humanity by others in the past, that we are well within our rights to heap upon others some of what they they heaped upon our ancestors???

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i can only speak about what i know and i have never experienced black people saying bad things about continentals.
    people around me have always looked toward Africa with a romantic glow.
    my father made a trip to Africa just before he died and he felt it was the crowning achievement of his life.
    he brought me back a gift from there that he wanted me to have.

it may be the type of folk that i have been raised around.

the negativity came when i got around some "real" Africans and found them to be most unpleasant people who looked down on me.

6. PositiveMindset

PositiveMindset Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think it all stems from the divide & conquer strategies that have been directed upon us (Afrikans & Amerikkkan Afrikans).

I remember when I was a child hearing so many stories of cannibals, Afrikans hating us, etc. that it made me afraid 2 even consider going there, but over the years I have spoken 2 many brothers & sisters from our Motherland who believe that we are like long lost kindred.

Some of the most fulfilling convos I've had were with our Afrikan brothers & sisters.

Sure, there are some who may "look down" at us, because a lot of us "look down" at them. Just like light skinned -vs- dark skinned Amerikkkan Afrikans.

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    PREJUDICE is one of the devil's action terms. I avoid completely, especially when it comes to my own brothas and sistahs. They could be our ancestors do you think about that? Looking down on your own ancestors? And I have gotten in the habit of NOT separating us from them. They are Afrikan just like we are, except we have that dirty Amerikkkan in us. I also avoid that completely.

CD

8. FromTheHip

FromTheHip Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen many situations in which "black" Americans expressed prejudice and bias against "African" people. However, those feelings always seem to be in the context of a specific conversation, comparison, relationship, action, etc. Additionally, the darker-skinned Africans always seem to get the heaviest criticism. But then again, many "black" Americans do not even identify with Africa or African heritage, even if that heritage constitutes a significant portion of their ancestry. Ironically, the darkest of "black" Americans both do and have been known to be the most harshest critics of "African" people. It's almost as if they don't want to be affiliated with anything "African", as if they can somehow escape from themselves.

9. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Isaiah

Peace

Bro, you've really been moved by the exchanges between you, Pan, An African, and Simba lately...huh...?

I'm telling you man, most African definately do not think like us in America.
    It always comes as a shock to most black people because of what we've been taught.

I can't speak of how other people grew up but I grew up in Michigan and most uneducated black people I knew had a negative image of Africa and Africans.
    They didn't "hate" Africans, but didn't have a positive view of them either.

It's changed somewhat now because of the so many Africans who've migrated to America in the past 20 years and the wealth of information and pride we are now taking in Africa.

But that prejudice about Africans stinking or being ugly still exists in some circles.

Terms like "African booty scratcher" and "he look like an African" was common where I grew up.

But as far as an actual hatred similar to what whites and others have displayed toward us, no I haven't seen that.

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    For the 1st time, I agree with a FromTheHip post! Many African Americans suffer from skin complexion issues (the legacy of slavery lives on), those with dark skin do not feel attractive. African Americans who suffer from the "color complex" are the most likely to have issues with Africans. Their rejection of Africans in this case is very much an effort to escape from themselves.