Black People : Are African Americans doomed?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kente417mojo, May 11, 2005.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I listen to this internet radio show based in Los Angeles and a topic made me think of something interesting. Is the black community in America so far gone that it's really not worth trying to wake them? Is the materialism and Western lifestyle so embedded in us that we are pretty much hopeless. Should more focus be on saving and developing Africa than trying to save a lot of people that really don't want to be saved? Think about it, even if conscious minded black folks could get a message out that would reach every African American, would it do any good? Are African Americans too caught up in Western living to even consider any other lifestyle? I always hear about the huge difference in mentality that Africans have compared to African Americans. What do you guys think? I'm sure we all know people that seem to love the way things are and think anything else is stupid. Some people seem to think "leaving the lost ones behind" would be a better approach, instead of wasting time and money trying to show them the alternative.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i think the current generation is lost.
    i believe the next one may just react against their elders and become more positive.
    i won't live that long.

the message must be kept alive in a time capsule for the young ones.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED - SEE ME FOR INPUT

KD

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Kente

Respect

Sometimes I get down in the dumps when driving down the boulevard and seeing the condition of our people too, but keep your head up.

Surely the world goes in cycles and those who are down eventually rise up and vice versa, just try to make sure you stay safe and LIVE to see our eventual rise.

Yes.
    Developing and investment should be the primary goal of a chosen few among us who are genuinely concerned with the well being of our race and have the moral and intellectual fortitude to help uplift ourselves.

Also, this is why instead of focusing on "black people" as a whole, it would be wiser to just focus on networking and building with those black people who share similar values and build amongst ourselves.

Yes again.
    I've been saying for about 2 years now that we are very spoiled and selfish as a people.

Even most black people who are considered "poor" are well dressed, overweight, and got a cell phone stuck to their ears grinning and joking away.
    Life isn't that hard for us compared to other black people around the world.
    We just don't have our priorities together.

From my personal experiences, the Africans I've met were much smarter, better educated, and just plain more intelligent than not only black Americans but white Americans aswell.

People always want to talk about the Asians, but the Africans do just as well.

They get good grades is school, have intact families, stay out of trouble, and usually own their own well ran businesses.

This is because they were raised with different values and had a much stricter upbringing that gave them the discipline to succeed when they finally came West.

I think everyone deserves and opportunity.
    We all were lost at some point in time and it took maybe a speech or some positive brother or sister woke us up with interesting conversation.

Perhaps it was a book we read that woke us up.

But this snake has bitten everyone of us so it's only fair that everyone gets an opportunity to be offered an antidote before they are written off and left to die.

So as we network among ourselves to build and progress, the doors should always be open for those who want to humble themselves as long as they respect the community and make an effort to reform themselves.

5. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    James

???

Ain't you the same brutha who said just a few days ago:

"there seem to be several individuals who are quite anxious to criticize the black community.
    while professing love for us their views seem to actually be a closet form of NAS* syndrome.
    they inform us that there is no gain without pain and then gleefully go about the business of inflicting as much pain as they can.
    i sometimes wonder, "whose side are you on"?
    is that just what the community needs right now, another source of pain?"

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34265&page=1

Make up your mind black man! :pie:

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i wonder what your point is?

are you going to spend the rest of your life playing some lame "gotcha" game?
    so you do not agree with anything i say, i get that.

i have got that for some time.

if you do not agree with what i say, why not just leave me alone?
    just don't read my posts.
    you have the right to disagree with me.
    that is OK with me.

what is it with this dogged pursuit of me?
    why not just agree to disagree and move on?

7. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    James

Calm down Jimmy.....

I was just looking for a little clarification on your view of black progress that's all.

First you say we shouldn't criticize our people then you call an entire generation of them "losers".

How will we ever get those whom you consider "lost" to improve themselves if no one is allowed to point out where inwhich they error?

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Are African Americans doomed? I wouldn't say doomed or damned but as a whole stunted or stagnated. We exhibit behavior and values that should have never arisen and we should be far passed. Unless we recognize and change this behavior we will never grow to our full potential. Our current behavior is being feed by a number of sources. In this age it is fashionable for middle class mainstream white American teenagers and young adults to take on the urban disenfranchised image. In other words when the suburban white teenager wants to rebel against the lily white, uptight establishment all they have to do is act "street". The Capitalists of our society have found a way to once again profit from our image. America's motto should be "If you can beat 'em exploit 'em". This is why we are not doomed but trapped. We must stop playing this game and guard the future. We must train our young not too make the mistakes we have made and we be the people we want our children to be like. Until we see the need to change we will be stuck in this conundrum....

Peace.....

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    if you wish to have any further conversation with me you will have to use my proper name.
    call me out of my name again and that will be the last time you talk to me.

you attempt to set up an argument that i never made and then knock that argument down.
    that is called the "straw man" gambit.
    you seem to be the only one who can not understand what i say.
    since you do not agree why do you continue?
    what is it that you get out of this?

10. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    The lost is lost, let them be who they are (lost). If you lead a thirsty horse to water and he chooses not to drink, do you sit there with him until he does? No, you leave his @$$ there. Why die with him. I think as black people, we will survive as a people only if we adopt that mentality. No group of people has ever survived by trying to pull up dead weight.

STRONG FAMILIES CREATE STRONG PEOPLE!!!

Until we stop this rediculous "baby mama" and "baby daddy" crap, we will always be in trouble.

As far as Africa, let them handle their own problems. I don't have the time nor interest to care about a continent which starves and kills it's own people while it critcizes us for the problems we have in dealing with a system that we do not run. I'm a black american, my ancestors died and fought like hell for the right for a piece of this rock. They didn't do it for me to me trying to relate to Africa. I want a piece of this pie and I believe the biggest thing that keeps us from getting it is us. I don't have time for no Africa, other than taking a vacation there. I will never call myself an African.

That's my "BIG" opinion.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black people are doomed

2. is the black community doomed

3. is black america doomed

4. black america is doomed,
  5. are black americans doomed,
  6. Blacks in america doomed,
  7. is the black community doomed? ,
  8. Is the black man doomed,
  9. black ppl are doomed,
  10. black race doomed