Black People : Aquisition of Elder Knowledge and Wisdom

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Bootzey, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Elderly people have a lot of great information to pass on to subsequent generations. The problem is, they rarely do. They have been widows/widowers, single parents, unemployed with mortgages, dealt with family members with issues, had baby mama/daddy issues, have had crises of faith, brushes with violence, have been remarried with children, etc. Nearly everything that we currently experience, they have already dealt with.

If you could question an elderly person about their life's experiences, and receive non-judgemental answers, what would your questions be?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    i think that if i had that opportunity, i'd just let them ramble on about anything they wanted to and just LISTEN.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    ramble, ramble, ramble..........:SuN011:

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    this is BS. everybody knows that all knowledge around here is held by young cats. they know it all and they got the videos to back it up.
    anytime i dare open my mouth to say anything around here you all come down on me like a ton of bricks.

most old people don't even bother. why take the grief?

5. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    There is a reason for that Mr. JFP.

I am truly interested in what elder people have to say. I was wondering if other people had their own interest in what older people have to say as well. I'm certain when they were collecting slave narratives, the thoughts of the slaves were that no one would be interested in what they had to say. And now there are volumes and HBO specials dedicated to it.

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I would do as I usually do simply look into their eyes and as RAAAAAA said before just sit and listen as I absorbed what they have to give and ask questions only if I am asked.

THis is not in every case of course as with some of the youth, some elders can be hard to deal with when they refuse too listen. My experience is that the tone in the voice plays a very big part in the dialogue. It's not intelligent for either to get anywhere in the conversation by name calling or just being disagreable because of the age difference......

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    i am an elder person and you have no interest in what i have to say.

and what is that reason?

8. amazon1979

amazon1979 Banned MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +9
    Excellent post Sis!

Your words strongly resonate my thoughts on Elders.

The way I see it, despite living in a world where just about anything goes as opposed to the one our Elders grew in, I am of the opinion that we will learn common lessons and deal with the same healing issues they did, therefore there is a lesson waiting for us every time we converse with an Elder.

Something Blackbird once wrote comes to mind. He stated that “we incarnate in this world with a specific function to perform and that function is informed by the spiritual lineage one possesses”. For me, Elders are a physical manifestation of that lineage and can therefore contribute to this specific function.

I recently had the pleasure of having a chat with Bro. Omo and can sincerely state that the above holds true and his presence, both on the forum and off is invaluable.

There is a well known Yoruba expression, “Aye’ Loja Orun-Ile – Earth is but a marketplace, Heaven is Home.” to mean Earth is often seen as a farm, at the end of the day we return home to count our gain and losses. Who better than the eldest among us to lead the way!

Anyway, questions I would ask?

What has brought you the greatest sense of meaning in life?

Do you feel like you have accomplished your purpose in life?

How much effort and value did you place in
    1. Education
    2. Relationships
    3. Career
    4. Money
    5. Friends

If you could say one thing to your children, what would it be?

Which word best describes the kind of husband you were?

What is the greatest fear at the end of life?

Peace,
    Amazon1979

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    this thread convinces me that you folks don't know too many older people.....:SuN011:

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Let me break this down as it should be. First of all, your quest is a good one. However, please allow me to inform you of how it really is. All young people think incorrectly that they know more than their parents or ancestors and that what they have to say is irrelevant to their present lives. My father did it, I did it and my daughter is now doing it. Likewise, young people on this board are doing it. In general only time and experience allows them to see "how wrong they are". Over time we somehow all discover that "there is nothing new under the sun". We also discover over time that all that we know, live, function off of and believe is information and knowledge that existed before we ever physically existed. What it means is "we essentially have created nothing new"....we simply found a new way to re-hash what already existed before...but the fundamentals remain the same.

because the majority of us suffer from myopia we fail to see this and as such think incorrectly that we are somehow more advanced and more knowledgeable than our elders before us. In terms of human nature and human experience there is nothing that we can go through that they did not and so there are great lessons in regard to that. In terms of our spirituality they were so far ahead of us that it is mind blowing but we also fail to see that too or to think that there is nothing they can teach us. in terms of science, health, architecture, agriculture, DNA, math, and the knowledge of self...we are far below them. I therefore state all of this to say that we have a defect....and all young people suffer from it in general.

It is only the wise young person who sees through the mist enough to understand that the only way we can rise above them is to know what they knew and then expand upon it if possible. They had millions of years to learn what they knew and to live what they knew. In order for us to do it we have to de-program first, learn what they knew and then live it before we can advance it. Since this hasn't really been recognized to be true by young people in general we still have a problem...and the problem exist because no one wants to understand the importance of the links in the chain and then add on to it for the future.