Black Short Stories : Appreciating the Simple Things

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by mzpoetic8705, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mzpoetic8705

mzpoetic8705 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    **THIS IS NOT A SHORT STORY, BUT IT IS MORE OF AN ESSAY....SO ENJOY**

It seems like the older I get the more appreciative I become. No longer do I look for fancy, luxurious or extravagant clothing to fulfill the empty wholes in my life. I have come to realize that life is indeed what one makes it. Although some people claim to find happiness in material things, we know that true happiness lies in the simplicities of life. These luxurious simplicities are hot bubble baths with rasberry-scented candles that I purchased from the local 99 cents store. Some may call me cheap, but I call it surviving. The word luxurious is deeper than it appears to be. Luxury is comfort. What kind of comfort? I’ll leave that up to you to decide. We are all different. What may be comfortable to me may not be so comfortable to you. But what I will say is that we tend to travel far to find luxury, when luxury can be found right beneath our noses.

We all need some time to get away. Whether it is for health related issues or just to satisfy our own pleasures. I don’t know about you, but I’ve always wanted to meet the one individual who was responsible for the elimination of segregation. I’ve always wanted to meet Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Not to glorify him for anything, but just to say “thanks,” and to show him my appreciation for his “dream”. I would use the time with him to educate myself on my own personal history as a young black woman. I know that this day is far from reality, but sometimes it’s good to dream. Take it from Martin Luther King, he dreamed numerous of years, but without warning his dream came true; “that one day we will be treated as equal!”

-MzPoetic

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very nicely done it was a great read too thankz for sharing

3. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for sharing. We all need to be more thankful for the simple things in life.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    again i must say continue to write this was outstanding and well done

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Very Nice. You will go far finding pleasure in simply things. That will really be appreciated and you will always find happiness in family matters. Sitting on the sofa with someone you love. Resting on sunday looking at the butterflies.
    The dreams are unlimited on the simpy pleasures.

Everything new last only a few days, but the pleasures of simply things linger with you years and for days.

If you get a chance visit his home he grew up in in Atlanta. I did it was a geat experience. He has always held a special place in my heart. He came to my attention at the age of ten.