Black People : Anyone remember this sitcom from the early 70’s?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SPEAKFREEDOMnet, Sep 23, 2008.

1. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    Check out this very interesting scene. Produced and distributed by the Corporation ABC.

On the very heels of the Black Power Movement, were show’s/episodes depicting US in such a way a simple coincidence? Was this strategy or simply a sign of “better day’s come for the negro”?

If in fact it was Strategic, was it effective? For example have WE adopted the character traits, attitudes and sentiments of the scene in question? :thinking:

Uhuru Now!

"Of utmost importance for the revolutionary is a cogent analysis of the situation in which he finds himself." - Robert L. Allen

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

SPEAKFREEDOMnet,

It is called, Assimilation!

3. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

Ratings:
    +147
    Clyde Coger:
    Clyde Coger,

Assimilation works. And we can safely assume that WE did not have control over the creation, production, writing or messages of the show. So the question remains, in other words, who is driving this assimilation and for what purpose?

Also is it effective? For example have we adopted the character traits, attitudes and sentiments of the scene in question?

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Sankofa!

SPEAKFREEDOMnet,

Between us, the question is rhetorical, my curiosity is what our younger folk have to say!

5. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

Ratings:
    +147
    Clyde Coger:
    And at that moment the "younger folk" are often rebuked for their "Radical" interpretations, thus making the answer to the question, not so obvious.

Perhaps this "Assimilation" is preferred, thus the clash of Ideologies. If this is so, do you think it should be clearly stated? After all a house divided against itself… Or do we continue in confusion with the unsuspecting masses placing their hope for true freedom, in a leadership with conflicting interest?

“Woe unto the man who manipulate the poor for his personal gain”.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

SPEAKFREEDOMnet,

Well...Radical views are subject to truths. The divided house concerns me, along with the leadership. It has been very hard for us since the diaspora, and singleness of purpose is the dilemma.

7. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    No. I had a visceral hatred for krakka media....even then.

Nothing in this euro-determinate social structure is 'coincidence.' It's not been designed thataway. At the point of his gun, one needs to either 'assimilate' or die. And it is from that systemic premise, that europeans have forged their 'success' or, longevity. As it stands, the only times that europeans employ 'strategies' are to quash all opposition to the preservation of that determinate social structure.

Hmm. Though I appreciate YOUR candor....I think that an even better question would be if, 'better days have come to the negro?'

Unfortunately I would be the wrong One to add further comment in regard to YOUR final observation, as to whether or not a hypotheical 'strategy' had a likelihood of ever being effective in causing any of OUR People to assume the character traits, sentiments or attitudes of those that the aforementioned scenes suggest, cause I don't think that krakkkas are smart enough first off....but that's just ME.

Powerful point SPEAKFREEDOM.........

ROARIN......

========================================================

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    First of all YES..."That's My Momma".

Not exactly sure what episode but I think about 1975.

I cant really conclusively answer your questions for several reasons. One of the directors of the show was Stan Lathan who has a long list of credits including some of Dave Chappelle's work as well as one episode of the Redd Foxx Show, the Bernice Mac and Steve Harvey shows. Prior to these shows Lathan produced a music documentary in collaboration with Jesse Jackson and Quincy Jones. He also teamed with Russell Simmons on Def Comedy Jam.

So if one were to look at Lathan's extensive body of work perhaps one can make a judgement concerning "effectiveness" of a particular "strategy" even though I don't think it can be specifically delineated.

Just my opinion.

9. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I remember that show! That's my Mama. Has Clifton Powell in it as an entrepreneur (barber) his mother (that lady that played the wicked witch in the WIZ) Issac from before the Love Boat and I believe a very small Kim Fields--- or was that Baby I'm back...

This was what we got in the 70's. I remember just being happy to see black folks on TV. And I believe Jet still shouts out shows where Black people will be performing. It was what it was. Now that you know better....

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071