Black People : Anyone on the Forum every try this? DNA Testing for African Lineage

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MANASIAC, Dec 27, 2005.

1. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
  2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I've never done it, but I alluded to similar test on the "Is Race a Social Construct Thread". If such test are legitimate...then I was obviously correct in my belief that race is a scientific reality.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    No, but I also have considered testing...some of my family members have tested but the results match a white plantation owner in georgia and my great-great-great grandma Louisa Lightfoot (May).

To my knowledge it's highly unlikely that one can trace direct African lineage to a specific "tribe" because most of our paternal lines have been "mixed" or infused with european bloodlines....however, I may be wrong...one would have to rely on which "haplogroup" the test determines one belongs to..

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
  5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    This is true. In addition to the mixing with Europeans, which is well known to exist in many African American families...not many of us realize that virtually all African Americans are a mix of many different African ethnic groups. No enslaved Africans were taken from one particular nation or people. Africans were taken throughout Western, Central & Southern Africa, and brought to the Americas by the "Middle Passage". In addition to this, many African Americans are descended from transplanted African slaves from the Caribbean.

6. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Panafrica is right. It proves the "race is a social construct" wrong. Omowale, where did you get this interesting theory? Enlighten me, incase it might further my research.

The fact remains that certain polymporhisms are common within certain tribes and even more suprising within certain families. The possibility of tracing someone down to a tribe cannot be ruled out, if the right polymorphism is wrong. Dont you think thats why a Malian, A Sudanese and a Ghanaian dont look alike?

7. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Pan Africa

To be honest with you, I thought nearly everybody who knew about the Middle Passage knew this.
    I thought it was almost common sense.

So when I hear Oprah Winfrey talking about she's a "Zulu", I have to question her sources.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Not everyone knows about the middle passage...not eveyone has common sense. Honestly I don't assume what others know, such actions can be detrimental. However you are right, most people who have studied the Middle Passage knows that enslaved Africans were taken from many different nations and ethnic groups. Thus African Americans are a mixture of different African people.

9. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    As far as Race Being Proven By Science.

Your Tribe or country of origin does not determine your race. The tests determine what part of Alkebulan you orginiate from.

Orgin does not determine race fellas.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    So you are saying that DNA can tell the difference between not only different ethnic groups, but what geographic location a person originated from? If this is true, then there are genetic differences between ethnic groups & people who live in geographic regions. However despite all of this, there is no such thing as race? Do you truly believe that?