Black Entertainment : Anyone listen to Rock?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just purchased "The Best of Jimi Hendrix" and I can't stop listening to it. He is what I call 'Rock & Soul', the brotha is a legend, the greatest rock star ever PERIOD. There's rock stars today who are trying to imitate his style. The brotha is unique. I've also been listening to Ben Harper and alot of Lenny Kravitz lately, oh and the Neptunes have a new rock song out (can't remember the name) that is da bomb. I must mention, there is a new artist out who goes by the name of Joss Stone. when yall get a chance, check her out.

Love, Peace and Soul...

2. twision

twision Well-Known Member MEMBER

Telemetry technician
    Ratings:
    +10
    I indeed listen to rock...probably too deep in to it just ask those that know me!!!!
    Jimi Hendrix is one of the best....I agree wholeheartedly. I tell you what...(if you haven't already) check out my fav's by him. "South Saturn Delta"- I like this one because there are a lot more instrumental which to me frees him to talk with the guitar("i.e. "Midnight" my God!!) "Live at woodstock" is good too. "Are you experienced" and "First rays of the new sun rising" are good too

I also like Lenny Kravitz...."Circus" and "Lenny" are my favorites by him
    others I suggest
    Prince-(boy is a genius on the guitar)
    System of a down-(Kinda hard, but good in my opinion) "Toxicity" is the jewel, but all their stuff is good once you get into it.
    Funkadelic-(if you haven't already...Please check out "Maggot Brain"...it's on the revised "One nation under a groove cd...I'm telling you it's classic!) Also "Hardcore Jollies" by Funkadelic is that ish

I know a whole lot more, but I wont keep rambling......

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I listen to rock to and of course errythang else that is out their. I think you guys ought to get onto some Isely brothers from about the 60's to the 80's they are really what I call rock and soul.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I'm glad you posted this thread. Unfortunately too many of our people have abandoned the Blues, and subsequently have no appreciation of the blues or Rock.

Both of these genres of music are black. Just like Jazz. Jimi Hendrix is the Father of Modern Blues and Rock. Some of his riffs still can't be replicated this very day. White guitarist like Jimmy Page, Keith Richards and Even John Lennon understood the importants of blues and it's evolution into Rock.

However it's not by accident the Jimi Hendrix made his mark in Europe. Many brothas and sistahs in the states couldn't relate to what he was trying to do artistically, not to mention the record companies... after all Elvis was still around.

One thing I hope our people overstand is. that Rock and Roll is rooted in the Delta blues with percussive rythyms found in Vodun, in and around New Orleans Louisiana. It is my belief that this metaphysical component in Rock is what spooks most of our people.

White media has given Rock a bad rap, there are some ritual magick pratitioners that play Rock music, like the Band Tool. But a further more objective analysis is needed to demystify the stigma placed on Rock

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't listen to a lot of rock, but I do like Lenny Kravitz a lot. I think he's one of the most talented, if not the most talented musician around right now. I have all of his albums and they are all good. I like Jimi Hendrix also....I mean, the guys a legend. Also, a guy named Cody Chestnutt plays rock. I don't know exactly how to classify him as far as genre, but he does have a lot of rock on his album "Headphone Masterpiece". I think he's a good musician also. It is a shame that we don't venture out into other genres other than rap and r&b. I mean, we do but that tends to be the main areas as far as black music. Honestly, I think the creativity and quality of music in those two genres are deteriorating faster than we know it. African Americans don't get their due when it comes to rock.

6. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I agree brotha, perhaps if more brothas and sistahs claimed Rock as our own, then we would get our due

7. ANGELIC SOUL

ANGELIC SOUL Well-Known Member MEMBER

I gotta a job while I chase my dream
    Ratings:
    +2
    Infusion

Hello family,

I would like to add my concepts.

I love Rock. I grew up with it. I have found the history of rock to be an interesting one.l

Back in the 50's and 60's black music was considered Rock. That was the genre then. Until the onslaught of Elvis and the Beatle invasion. LIttle Richard, Chuck Berry and fats dominios were rock back then. When Elvis hit the scence for whites, the genre shifted. They were rock (white) and blacks became R&B. Motown created another niche for black folk.

In the 70's you had my man Jimi. He was all rock.

In these times. Prince, Lenny Kratviz(sp) and other african american artists like them are not really rock. They are what I call Infusion. This means that they take many genres... rock, R&B, rap, hip hop and metal and mix it all together and create their own unique catagory. Which I love. Keeps it fresh. Artists such as these have also incorporated true cultural music to infuse or others cultural music. I enjoy this. Its no different with white bands like the red hot chilli peppers. They infused rap with r&b and punk and rock and came out with a unique crazy white boy blend of music. That is one of the reasons they were so popular.

Michael Jackson? He is Pop. He is in the same genre as britney.. (yuk) and Christina Agelaria.. whateva..lol you catch my drift.

Peace peeps and Rock on! LOL

Shadow

8. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    As much as I love Jimi Hendrix, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. If I had to classify someone as the father of modern blues and rock, it would have to be men like:

Robert Johsnon
    Muddy Waters
    John Lee Hooker
    Howlin Wolf
    Chuck Berry
    Bo Diddley
    B.B. King
    ...and the list goes on. (I'm somewhat of a Blues enthusiast as you can tell.) Out of that list, Muddy Waters was the first to popularize playing blues using the electric guitar. So, in my opinion that makes him the Father of modern Rock.

I agree with that statement whole heartedly.

Living Colour
    Fishbone
    Body Count
    Bad Brains (with lead vocalist H R)
    ....I would classify those groups as black rock groups.

9. LibertyLady

LibertyLady Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker...
    Ratings:
    +9
    :huh: hi ....its so nice you put this question down here.....

yeah i like rock....

i,m listening to every kind of music....

everything thats toutches me
    makes me move inside...

i listen to...

Lovelibertylady....

10. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    The topic was about Rock music. The reason I mentioned Jimi Hendrix was because unlike any of the blues artist you mentioned, few if any of them were as proficient at playing Rock like Jimi Was. IMHO.

Moreover, as stated in the earlier part of this post, I mentioned musicians like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, I'll even throw in more contemporary guitarist like Vernon Reid, Sort to experiment with much of the legacy that Jimi left behind.

It's just too bad that we still look at Rock music as white! :cry: