Any Vegans on Destee?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Ikoro, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Just wondering if any of my people in the house of Destee are vegan?

I am one.

Any one else?

Always thought it must be hard being vegan in the US?

Nia.

~Ikoro

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Not me, but I am now again trying to move in that direction. No meat the past six days but I have had some dairy (reduced fat milk and cheese). I am doing a seven day detox and then will go to a 21 day program, eventually eliminating the dairy.

I went 30 days without any meat or seafood three years ago but backslid. Living in Texas it is very difficult because this is "cattle and catfish country".

Also, with all the e coli and other bacteria going around, the scary part is that nowdays I hear more cases of contaminated fruit and veggies than meat.

3. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Yeah, but then again Brother, you never know, be it veggies or meat.

Also, it depends on where you get the veggies and the meat from.

One should learn to be very watchful.

Be strong on your path to a cleaner vessel!

Nia.

~Ikoro

4. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    does a Flexitarian count?

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thanks

day 7 and I had some chicken for lunch. along with a lot of fruit and veggies. I now will start on a 21 day cleanse which means I need to unhook my pc so I stay of the net so I can spend more time in study and meditation.

6. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yop. Actually I've been a quasi-vegan for about 5 years now.
    Up until recently I allowed fish on the menu on "rare" occasions...those occasions where I would be in Detroit and mention seitan or tofu while they lead me to the pork loins and looked at me like I was speaking a different language...or like I was just crazy.

It's a pretty expensive lifestyle, but to me it just doesn't make logical sense to eat meat.
    If you have a 20 piece hot wing, then that's 10 lives snuffed so I could be satiated for another 4hours.
    On the other hand, I can eat a vegetable or fruit, and the tree won't die. It just births new food from its limbs.
    Imagine having to kill an animal everytime you wanted to eat vs plucking a stem from your garden out back.
    To me it definitely seems to be a more natural process of living and sustaining life.

As for "dairy," I wouldn't want anyone reaching inside of any of my Sisters and removing their eggs for food.
    And drinking the blood from the cow's abused utter is pretty repugnant.
    Actually, I find any creamy yellow substance from the teats from any animal as such less than appetizing.
    I have no problem with honey though.

Another reason (not sure if all this was even the intent of the thread but...) is that the spirit is in the blood.
    I have a rough enough time preventing all of these psycho entities (especially those of late) into my system.
    I certainly don't need some poor animal that was being damned while bludgeoned or brutally murdered mixing with my essence.

Plus if you have a good cook, the food just tastes so good and, dare I say, wholesome. I don't miss meat or dairy at all.
    And I feel a tremendous amount lighter and more aware than I used to.

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Let me tell you-

I have conformed to a Whole Food diet, and I feel much, much better with the way I am eating. However, I just need to practice 'Portion Control,' and be able to distinguish the difference between Canned Food and Bagged Food.
    It was also brought to my attention - there is a term called 'Partial Hydrogenation,' which, according to my understanding, means every/anything in plastic is not as 'protected' as one may think. Therefore, I am trying to find a way to drink Healthier Water (I can not find Healthy Distilled Water), and am very careful with what I insert into my Digestive system. So far, I have been eating much of my food from the Health Food Store. The worst thing that has entered my system has been 'Organic Flatbread,' which I am not too sure is very good or bad. Also, besides Water, I have had Rice Milk, and Almond Milk (which practically tastes just like Almond-flavored Water; not anything I expected).

As far as the question goes, I will say that I am not a Vegan, but I am headed in that direction. I am trying to digest anything that will assist me in getting through the day, and guaranteeing a longer life-span.

Oh yeah - don't let me forget to mention that I stay On-Campus at my Institution, and eat 'Cooked' food in the Cafeteria. We can not have Crock-pots, or anything like that in our rooms. They put Microwaves in our rooms, and say we can only use them. Of course, I don't use the Microwave; I have to eat in the Cafeteria if I wanted boiled or bake food. Also, keep in Mind that I am Down South, where they put darn well near too much Salt, Sugar, Pepper, etc. in almost everything. They also make mostly greasy food, meat (serve 'Death Food/so-called Food' every weekend and Wednesday)Knowing that, I would just grab a bowl of Oats Cereal, Sunflower Seeds, and Raisins (most of the time). Other than that, I am "outta luck!" (Except I have the Health Food Store across town - a distance from Campus)

Peace-

KD

8. Kokujin

Kokujin Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I always thought African diets were more vegetarian anyway.

> Cows who are used for milk are kept pregnant for most of their lives,
    the resulting births are either used for veal(Bull calves) or weaned too
    early and pumped full of hormones. Dairy products aren't even that healthy,
    especially for people of African decent. It causes mucus to form in the
    digestive tract which leads to a generally slower, fatter body.

> Cows used for meat are pumped up with hormones and eat substandard food, after being slaughtered, the meat becomes rotten, at your local super market, it is treated with dyes to make it look more appetizing. These animals are regularly inbred, leading to birth defects and genetic diseases.

> Chickens(This is the big ones, I know we all like our chicken...) is
    usually completely rotten when it arrives at the market, it is completely
    gray and treated with dyes.

>Fish, farmed fish usually has more parasites than ocean caught fish, just be on the look out since fish rots faster than other meats.

Back in the olden days, meat was necessary, it gave us energy to build up muscle and work/hunt/farm/whatever, but now in these days with our sedate lifestyles, we don't need nearly as much meat, especially factory farmed meat which is more trouble than it's worth. If we didn't have so many cattle/pork/poultry farms, we'd have more real estate for more important crops.

Most everything we get from meat can be replaced by vegitables, but that isn't for everyone, it takes alot of hard work to cut meat from your diet, but it can be done.

I am also trying to convert to a vegan diet.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I honestly wish more people Understood this. The same methods that worked (including Dietary habits) back in those days, are not very effective with us today. There has been a 'paradigm shift' that took place (or several) between then and now. Therefore, that causes us not to eat like they did back in the days, live like they did back in the days (Example: People did not hang out at Burger King/McDonalds everyday, "snacking" on $7.00 value meals); many folks are "controlled" by what is seen on TV (Hence - You wave a Big Beef Burger across the screen in a Commerce-show (Commercial) 10+ times in an hour, and that person (or people) will eventually starve for it).

Now that I practically feel I am getting off topic, let me return to the thread.

While I do agree that it takes a lot of hard work to cut meat from your diet, I also think that everyone has the chance to replace Whole Foods with meat. The only reason why some may think that everyone can't do it, is because "everyone," especially in this day and age, are not aware that it is a process. In order for me to drop Pizza, Chicken, Banana Pudding, and Tuna Fish, it to a lifestyle change, in terms of 'Fighting the Temptations' when sensing it (smelling, seeing, etc.) I feel that the best way to stop eating a certain food and stay off of it, is to have a replacement - effective immediatly after you stop eating that certain food. When you have the replacement, and utilize that just like you did the food you stopped eating, everything will be fine. However, just remember that it takes a process.

I am trying to get on a diet where I only have Fruits, Nuts, and Seeds. That way, I meet the Protein Requirements, maintain a sufficient Metabolism rate, and guarantee Health and Wellness as I live out my days!

KD

10. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Still workin' on this one, myself.