Black Entertainment : Any of yall in here like Blues

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by MississippiRed, Dec 9, 2005.

1. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Just checking....not talking about contemporary Blues but stuff like Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Son House, Charlie Patton and such...

MississippiRed

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Yeah....Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Sonny Williamson, and I do like more contemporary if thats what you would label B.B. King, Bobby Blue Bland, Esther Phillips and early Johnny "Guitar" Watson. On the West Coast, Johnny Otis and his son Shuggie.

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I do, my people come from Kenlock/Indianola, the home of BB King. :)

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    love my blues heard some great blues singers from Chicago
    B.B King and Albert King , KoKo Taylor are a few i love Muddy waters
    this kinda music relax you .

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    I forgot to mention one of old time favorites...Dinah Washington..some call her jazz...some say Blues...dont matter...I LOVE that sista!

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Mississippi, you mean Eddie SON House, the man who sang Death Letter Blues, and the Preachin' Blues!? That brother is like on another plane with his singing.. He curdlies your blood, and wrenches your soul, and I got to be mad ready, psychologically, to listen to brother... He is that powerful, he will take you back to the fields pickin' cotton, and tryna survive Parchman(LOL!)

Yeah, brother, I don't see how anyone can say the know and understand African Americans without understanding that we're a Blues People - even the holy rollaz, rockin' church choirs are Blues People... That's where all of this Black musicin America originated, the Blues Fountain...

I dig Big Bill Broonzy(Goin' To Chicago), Joe Williams(Rocks In My Bed), Little Milton, Junior Parker(Drivin' Wheel), and of course, brother Mr. "I'm A Mang!", Muddy Waters... Like Omowale, I dig Dinah and Bobby Blues Bland(Jelly Jelly), and Jimmy Reed, too!(smile!) Actually, it's early in the morining, and I've got the flu, so my mind aint functioning on all cylinders in listing stuff I like, but yeah, in answer to your question, I DIGS ME SOME BLUES, YO!(smile!) Hope this discussion gets some REAL Mileage, brothers... Let's come on back to it from time to tiem...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Blues makes for some great sampling. bobby blue bland and albert king have provide me with some great ore.

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    I forgot to mention another legend...Jimmy Witherspoon (and Taj Mahal).

9. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I mess with Joe Tex, The Soul Chirren, Johnny Taylor and Tyrone Davis and Dem, ya dig.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Etta James is another of my favorite blues women... She's just so versatile, and can do it all... Y'all ever hear the Queen of Soul singing The Thrill Is Gone???

Manasiac, Mr. Tyrone Davis is my man, no doubt, but I've always viewed him as R&B... Thanks for broadening my definition of what da blues is... Love that CAN I CHANGE MY MIND, and IN THE MOOD!
    Here''s a question for y'all Blues afficianados... Do you guys not accept that R&B is just as much blues as Da Blues??? Like when I am hearing Bobby Womack sing I can Understand it(or New Birth doing the same song for that matter!), wow, I am hearing so much church and the blues in the delivery!(smile!) "If you think you lonely now...wait until tonight - girl..."

Another thing, some of you brothers only naming MEN as your favorite blues people... It has been said that the blues was a man's world, even though a great blues empress like Bessie Smith was bigger than any Male bluesmen in her time... Mamie Smith is responsible for the first commercial success of a Blues recording, about 1919... How do you guys explain the chauvinism in this music???

Peace!
    Isiaah