Black Entertainment : Any Jazz buffs out there

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Sekhemu, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Recently I've been listening to Wayne Shorter's body of work he recorded on the Blue Note Label.

Anybody diggin' His albums ETC and Schizophrenia? Herbie Hancock is featured on both albums as well, and gives a tremendous performance, as usual.

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I got to check him out bruh. I haven't had a lot time to update my Jazz collection. I still love the greats though. People don't realize that it was the artists of the 30's and 40's that radically changed the face and delivery of music. All America born music was created by Black People. It's a shame that more of our young people are unfamiliar with Jazz. Not that Kenny G Jazz either. I was checking out a program on Thellonius Monk and I tell you man that cat was truly a musically genius. He was more than a doctors of music. He was on another level. He was a master artist and was before his time. Tell you what I'll check out Wayne Shorter when in get to the house tonight.

Peace...................

3. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    I havent heard this album as of yet, but I will check it out. Sadly the one station that played jazz here on public raido 24/7 was recently bought out so when I'm at work I dont have the pleasure of listening to any jazz.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    Shorter is one of those people where you can pick up on his work from any era and it will be of good quality.
    you can hardly go wrong.

5. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    It’s been years since I listen to those particular cuts…Wayne is the man…he was way ahead of his time in his approach to improvisation. He added that unique and different sound; you heard this when he played with Miles, Blakey and even Weather Report. He did this one album called Native Dancer with Milton Nascimento and Herbie Hancock that was one of the most extraordinary blends of Brazilian vocals and Jazz I ever heard. I’ve been listening to his latest album Alegria…its Wayne taking it to another place. The beautiful piece Nefertiti show that his composing skills can be very complex and interesting.

6. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    The recordingw Wayne did with Miles on Columbia Records, from ESP to Nefertiti are masterpieces. Wayne showed that he is a brilliant composer.

Some people would often try to compare him to Trane, but their styles are quite different. Wayne was also very prolific when it came to writing balads. He and Herbie played some really avante garde riffs, while still maintaining the swing.

7. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    So true Brother Sekhemu...let's not forget that Wayne Shorter was a disciple of Trane...He honored the musical majesty of Trane like most young upcoming creative musicians of that time. There is an interview of Wayne talking about when he first met Coltrane, it's a wonderous story.

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Wayne Shorter is often compared to Trane largely because he has extended Trane's innovation not only in the area of composition but instrumentally, on the soprano saxophone.

Shorter also has ventured into electronics and so-called "World Music" which is an area that Trane was headed in some of his later recordings. Earlier this evening I was listening to his "Footprints Live" cd.

9. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I got a question for y'all, who's your favorite Pianist(s)? For me, it would be Herbie Hancock and Eliane Elias.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    i was about to say Hancock but then i wonder if he is more of a composer.