Black People : ANY Future for Black studies in Public Schools, when Corporations Control??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I remember as a child during the 60s, the numbr of community based, Black history classes, some folks doing it from thier homes, and hiring young college students, some done at community centers , where the noted Black scholars of the time were more then happy to educate Black children,
    and even Dr John Henrik Clarke was on network television for months each day, presenting a college level course in Africna history.

Now after the demise and attacks on the curriculum of inclusion,
    championed by State Regent Adelaide Sanford, Dr Leonard Jeffries and Professor Smalls,
    HBCUs no longer require
    Black studies and it has been reduced to an ellective.

Now, with the legislature in Arizona attacking black studies and the probability
    of this replicating, with the surge for state rights,
    and with the corporate take over of the school system , through the charter school system,
    what future will there be for
    Black studies on the grade school, junior high and high school level,
    particularly at a culturaly void, time in the history of the African American community, and with so many parents and children having no concept or idea of the importance of
    a knowledge of self, and the power and self esteem it provides ????

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The Struggle for Black Studies at HBCUs
    Of course black-studies programs flourish at historically black colleges and universities, right? Wrong.
    By: | Posted: August 4, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Despite university budget cuts and a rise in anti-ethnic-studies sentiment, black-studies programs have held their ground in higher-education curricula. But while there has been substantial overall growth in the field during the last 40 years, it has happened primarily outside the community of historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs).

"There's activity going on [at HBCUs]; it's just not as visible and as well supported as you might see at white institutions," says Dr. James Stewart, national president of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History.

Most HBCUs have established courses in black studies, but few have departments dedicated to the field, and only Howard and Clark Atlanta universities offer master's programs. Howard is also the only HBCU to offer a doctoral program in African studies, which is offered by eight traditionally white institutions.

The bottom line is money.

"A program in African-American studies is very difficult to sustain in good times, and it's near impossible in tough economic times," says Johnny Taylor, president and CEO of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. "However, some of the majority institutions have been able to get someone to underwrite less popular programs."

Dr. Mayibuye Monanabela, a professor in the Africana-studies department at the HBCU Tennessee State University, and one of the department's founders, points out that the University of Wisconsin-Madison offers bachelor's and master's degrees as well as a doctoral minor degree in black studies. "What black university does that?" he asks. "We have to do so much better. We should be leading the way."

Getting students to major in black studies is also difficult, according to Monanabela. "When students are ready to sign up for a major, they ask, 'What can I do with a degree in Africana studies?' " he says.

.....http://www.theroot.com/views/hbcu-black-studies?page=0,0

3. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Good info, I always wondered about African studies in Black universities.

I did go to UW-Madison and feel very lucky to have studed there, and get supported in my studies of the African Diaspora. It's truly a shame we don't have much in the way of African studies in our public schools, but we know why.

it's always up to us to teach the youth of today. Please take the time to inform other black people about what you know of our great heritage.

AXE!

4. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    We Just Need To Build Our Own Schools And Run Our Own

Oh yea there is a future for it, just not under white teachers control, or their governments.

We need to return to community educational practices, with regards to home schooling, and the proverbial "village" teacher, who teaches our young our heritage,roots, and true cultural history.

We just need to get these so-called wealthy brothers and sisters out here who are millionaires and billionaires, to build some private schools inside black communities dedicated only to our youth and their history.

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    That makes more
    then sense

what you say

but asking someone in a mental institute to write a program, that will prevent mental illness will not work, phat negro$ with 80 terragig computers and Crays in their living room know about this before we do, they just don't give a ....well any how.......

There should be enough computer savy brothers and sisters,
    better then that there Facebook cat, that can put together financial , well audited,
    collective economics networks were a million sisters and brothers coud just drop our video, vid game , weekend movie, fast food munchin, and crunck and chronic money, for just once a month,
    and amass something that could start,

online tutoring services for free availabe to all children of African descent, at the level of the best home schooling curriculum

and as that process grows,

as you say national networks to fund the construction of our own schools

and construct them faster then these devils are closing them

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Imagine that...

Playing the negro's-advocate:

"Why I gotta give my hard earn money to something like that. I don't
    owe anybody. I got mind with hard work, so you get your money up
    and "build". Besides, I send my kids to catholic school. I'm not the
    savior".

Or,

"I'm not just gonna help black kids, but all kids. Black, white, native
    american, hispanic....., all kids. Which is why I donate to the 'united
    way'."

7. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771

I do agree that there is a serious need for us to create privet schools for the benefit of our black African people. With our needs to know and understand our African heritage and philosophical takes on life and balance….
    Only I think this need, needs to be served now, yesterday, … really.

The members here, and those in the know of such knowledge need to take it to even the streets if need be.
    I teach or expose really my students via Capoeira to the rich and great history and philosophical ways of different African peoples. Most importantly how they are better than the white-mans ways.

I fully agree, that we need to re-introduce our people to our knowledge!

AXE!

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    What you say should be replicated but as a community nationaly we have collectivly neglected that what brother Chinelo is saying is imperatve

We should have never expected the same system that gave our children seperate but far from equal education, an honest education system after integration.

The curriculum, both public and charter are filling the colleges, with remedial young men and women

and the statistics have scientificaly shown what black nationalist oriented shcools have done on a world level of achievement,
    so every class all the sciences and liberal arts, we need our own educaors and schools, and to ad what thie system has taken out in the past 30 years, problem solving in math and creative writing in english.
    we have to return civics, on our own
    and home economics, hygene, wood, metal, electric, shop,
    as well as music and art on our own becuase none of the schools are realy getting this, so realy we realy need an entire community based and paid for Private National Black school system,
    private in that it would be acredited by the state but not subservient to corporae interest, and public in the fact that it would be availabe to all children of African descent.

How much is 20 dollars per month from 30 million people?
    And at the rate schools are closing, what is the choice?

9. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771

I agree fully, brother.

I would recommend reading the book; Fighting for honor. It would help clarify my perspective and importance of having knowledge as to who we are as a people. Here is a review.

http://hemi.nyu.edu/hemi/en/e-misferica-52/miki

AXE!

10. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Yea i do believe the internet is definitely a viable start to our "own" schooling of our young, especially if the rigvht network was put in place.

But however we need the so-called "master teachers and elders back, maybe daily personal study/schooling groups inside black communities throughout, and taking it steps further in circulating funds to which we began to be able to construct our own "Black" Nationwide Network of schools that teach our own youth,and young adults on our history, black economic building, black nationalistic efforts that connect to pan afrikan efforts which would also set-up a Afrikan Intercontinental Study base of maybe "Black" exchange students,economy, and social programs for and run by afrikans totally,aimed at our history and future.

I love that idea. I'm already in my own way taking steps to connect in that sort of way, i'm in the process of building a website, which should be done by 2011 or 2012, which would aim to work in that way.