Any bodybuilders here?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by diakonos, Feb 13, 2004.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Any bodybuilders here? I think weight training is a great way to get and stay in shape. I like to hear about the various routines and techniques that people use. I'm also open to hear suggestions on how to improve on what I do? I am currently on 4 day split.
    Monday:
    Chest and triceps

Tuesday:
    Back and biceps

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    This is my leg day (quads, hamstrings, calfs, glutes)

Friday:
    Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps

For the most part, I only excersise muscle groups once a week. The only groups I excersise more than that is Biceps and Triceps. I also try to do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning, but not before a workout. I keep my cardio and strenght training seperate. At any rate, that is what I do.

What do you do? ;)

2. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hey diakonos,

I am not a bodybuilder per se, ie I don't do competitions or lift weights for any other reason than my health. But I'm psyched you want to discuss lifting routines. :D

I've lifted for 7 years, and am also a certified fitness trainer. I've tried every body split combo in the universe. I've decided it's best to stick with a basic regimen of either agonist/antagonist muscle groups (chest/back, for instance) or big muscle groups and supporting muscle groups, such as the workout you listed, chest/triceps, back/biceps, etc. From there, it's good to vary the days a week you do it and the days of rest. It's more for a mental break than anything else, because if you do the same things on the same days all the time, it can be more of a grind and a drag than a fulfilling routine.

For instance, I've been doing back/biceps on Sunday, chest/triceps Monday and shoulders and legs Wednesday (plus abs everyday) for a long long time. It was feeling like a burden. So I broke it into four smaller workouts rather than three large ones. Psychologically, it's da shiznit cause I feel like I'm spending less time at the gym. But who knows - eventually I might want to go back to three large workouts again when I feel like I did before, that I was going to the gym too many days a week. It's all about change.

I also like to keep cardio and strength training separate. I get too hungry if I do it all at once.

3. diakonos

Ratings:
    +1
    What's up Gempis,

Good to hear from you. I was beginning to think I was alone on this thread. I have a question about your ab routine. There are some who say that doing ab exercises is a waist of time if you don't eat right and loose the fast first. I had a gym teacher in high school that said doing situps, would not flatten you stomach if you had one; it would just build muscle underneath the fat. What are your thoughts on that?

4. gempis

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sup diakonos,

It's nice to talk to you about this too, believe me.

Regarding abs, it's true that you may not see them coming in for a while if you've got body fat to lose first. But you should still do them.

For one thing, anytime you work a muscle, you are creating more lean muscle tissue in your body, and lean tissue has higher metabolism than body fat. You are burning calories at a higher rate for up to 12 hours after a weight workout; after cardio, your metabolism goes back to normal.

Point two is that your abdominal and lower back areas (what you've heard referred to as "the core") are your most important muscles to keep strong. They support your entire body; all your power originates from your core. People with weak abs and lower back can have lower back pain and a host of other problems.

It's not a good idea to neglect any muscle group - especially if the reason is that you can't see it developing. Parity in all muscle groups helps balance the body as far as strength. It's important for health and not just aesthetics. Does this all make sense?

Now I have a question for you: what kind of cardio do you do and which is your favorite?

5. diakonos

Ratings:
    +1
    In 2002, I got on a serious Tae-Bo kick (no pun intended :D ). After doing it for six months, I went from 200lbs to a lean and mean 185 (which I thought was a pretty good weight at 5'11). However, in August of that same year, God blessed my wife and I with our first child, and I gained it all back and then some in the form of symapthy weight. (Yeah, I know that's a lame excuse, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it :wink: ) At any rate, I try to do it 3 times a week for only a half hour.

6. gempis

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    That sounds cool. Was just curious to see what you liked to do. Myself, I run. Have been running for a loooong long time, cause that's what I love to do. Lately though, I been experimenting with other stuff so I can preserve my knees and run when I'm old.

Just wonderin though - how come you said "only a half hour." ? Are you tryin not to do too much cardio or somethin? Peace brothah.

7. diakonos

Ratings:
    +1
    Gempis (or anyone else who would like to chime in),

Let’s talk diet for a moment. Here is the cutting plan diet that I am currently on. This is pretty much how I each Monday through Friday. Tell me what you think of it.

Meal 1:
    2 packets of oatmeal mixed in water
    0.9 oz. of raisins
    3 oz. of white albacore tuna

Meal 2:
    6 oz. of Atkins reduced sugar yogurt (only 3 net carbs)
    *A hand full of fruit (grapes, strawberries, blueberries or etc.

Meal 3 (Courtesy of China Buffet)
    *A hand full of chow mein noodles
    *A hand full of green veggies of some sort (usually string beans of broccoli)
    An assortment of lean beef, chicken and fish

Meal 4
    Zone perfect Bar

Meal 5
    Healthy choice mixed grill dinner
    6 oz. of Atkins reduced sugar yogurt (only 3 net carbs)

Meal 6
    Balance Bar

Late night snack (optional)
    ¼ Cornish Hen. (absolutely no carbs late at night)

The tolal calories of these meals come out to be around 2200 calories. I try to stay within the ratio of 40/30/30 for each of my meals. Throughout the day I drink about 102 oz of water.

*I follow the rule that 1 serving of anything fits in the palm of your hand.

8. gempis

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    Looks like you are doing a high-protein, low carb diet, diakonos. That is the latest dietary fad in the US, so you are in very good company. People took to it because it can, in many, result in a substantial weight loss in a short period of time. Eventually, though, the weight loss tapers off and levels out, so think of high-protein diets as a good temporary solution - not a way to eat for the rest of your life.

I am one of those health and fitness professionals that think high-protein diets are a bad idea. This is because I come from an anatomy and physiology standpoint (from all the classes I took), and that I know the body functions basically the same way it always has. Bodies only require that 15-20 percent of the diet be protein. Most of our fuel - 55-60 percent - should come from carbohydrates. This is stored is the muscle as glycogen and used as fuel for everyday living and exercise. Too much protein over a long period of time can result in ketones in the urine and high acid content in the blood from an altered Ph. Calcium is also depleted.

On the non-medical tip, you become tired and drawn because you have no carbohydrates on which to function. I witnessed this yet again the last three weeks, when co-workers were preparing for a bodybuilding contest. They eat virtually no carbs, so for the last two or three weeks before the contest, they are spacy and look tired all the time. Plus they're peeing day and night because there's no glycogen in the muscles with which to hold the water.

When I speak with people who come into my gym, I advise them to eat a balanced diet that includes all the food groups at each meal, and to control portion sizes. I admire you for doing that, diakonos, because that is a key to success. Portion sizes in the US have increased substantially since the 1950's, but that is a whole 'nother discussion. If people would do what you are doing and simply cut portion sizes, that would result in a lot of weight loss right there alone.

Be careful with your high-protein diet. Drink lots of water and take a multi-vitamin during this time. And remember, don't let it go on for more than two months.

9. diakonos

Ratings:
    +1
    Sup gempis,

As always, I appreciate your insight.

Peace & Blessings,

10. gempis

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    I appreciate you too, diakonos. It's nice to talk to someone about fitness matters. We live in a very lazy country.