Black Sports : Antonio Tarver vs. Glencoffe Johnson Tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Dec 18, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Sorry I'm late posting this but the 2 men to KO Roy Jones face each other tonight on HBO! This should be a great fight for boxing fans! Both fighters are in their prime, and riding high after knocking out Roy Jones in their last fights! The program begins in 20 minutes at 9:00pm (EST). However the fight probably won't actually start until 10. This should give some people a chance to see it.

2. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    In a fantastic action fight Glencoffe Johnson pulled off a minor upset and defeated Antonio Tarver by decision. The HBO announcing crew felt that Tarver deserved the decision. Personally I felt the fight was razor thin, and could have gone either way! Big win for Johnson, congrats to him!

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think Tarver would've won if he didn't back up and run all fight long. I think they gave it to Johnson because he initiated the action the entire fight. I understand that Tarver is a longer fighter and wants to use his jab...but some of the time he looked like he just wanted to put together a few pitty pat punches and get the hell out of dodge. I was glad that they gave it to Johnson...even though Tarver is the better fighter. If they fight again I think Tarver will make sure he's a lot more willing to stand there.

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Running will make you lose 9 times out of 10!

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yup, I second that...and so does Oscar Dela Hoya. It was a good fight though, but it should have been better than it was because one guy was basically chasing the other.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Oscar should've been a track star!

7. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    What's happen Brother Pan...I'm back for a minute baby....I saw that fight man ..and yall are right it could have gone either way depending on who was judging...just so happens Tarver got judges that like aggressive fighters and not evasive fighters...Tarver backed up the whole fight man...and you would think as much head as he talks he would've been either coming forward or just standing there with Johnson trading....I think Tarver was honestly afraid of Johnson..that cat looks like he can kick some arse man...but that's the state of the heavier weights now...mediocore fighters out there like they're the best things going....oh I saw ya boy Miguel Cotto finally..man that boy is real....and I'm expecting big things from Andre Ward.....Holla

Mississippi Red

Getting back into Muay Thai at 34 baby...still putting arses on the flo

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Red, you can't get disappearing on a brother...I'm practically holding down the boxing talks by myself! Good to have you back (if only for a little while)! The HBO boxing team is so biased it isn't even funny! I'm happy for Johnson, he worked hard and was rewarded. The decision definately wasn't a robbery! I hear that he has been named the fighter of the year, something I never expected in January! That is why I love boxing, it can't be predicted. On the heavyweights, don't get me started! I keep waiting for someone to beat Vitali Klitschko & John Ruiz, so I never have to see them again!

9. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man I got things back on track now bruh so I'll be able to be around a bit more....good to see you holding things down on the boxing side though.....man I can't see anybody beating Vitali anytime soon...and it's not because he's that good...the heavyweight division is just that sorry...he can barely go past 7 and even that's a maybe...man Glen Johnson is my hero of 04....that dude put in some work man.. a lot of folk think he just came out of nowhere but that cat has been in some battles ....he is not punk by any stretch of the imagination...HBO just doesn't like him because he's not a pretty fighter..his style is to get in rough you up and intimidate you....that's it that's all....Hey did you hear that Jermaine Taylor is trying to ink a fight with either Tito or Bernard Hop....I think either of those would be career suicide man..yeah he'll get paid but he's gonna take a beating either way....if he's set on those two I hope he gets Tito that way it's over quick..instead of getting pounded by B-hop for 8 or 9 before finally taking a nap....

Good to see you on Brother Pan...for real..hope things are going good for you and yours and hope the New Year brings nothing but good for you bruh...that's real.

Mississippi Red
    I'm the king of the South..not T.I.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Sadly I agree that no one will beat Vitali anytime so, and you better believe he isn't that good (don't care what the racist experts say, Lennox beat him legit..was tagging that a-- at the end of that fight)! Good timing has always been the friend of the white heavyweight. As Rocky Marciano came along at a time when all good Black Heavyweights (Joe Louis, Jersey Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, etc) were past their prime, and the young heavies (Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston, etc) were too green....so has Vitali Klitschko!

On Jermaine Taylor, his people would have to be crazy to match him up with either Trinidad or Hopkins! I think this kid has skills, probably will be a champ, be he doesn't need to be rushed! Jermaine has had a "soft" road to the top, which is often disasterous for fighters! He should have been given a true test by this point (Joppy don't count)! Since he hasn't, he needs to be matched with some legit threats before even mentioning the names Hopkins or Trinindad! I believe he should fight the WBA champ, Maselino Masoe (champ because of the WBA's stupid rule of having 2 champs in case of a unified champion). This way he'll have a belt, and can wait Hopkins out...I truly believe Hopkins will retire in 05 anyway!

Lastly I heard Trinidad is moving up to Super Middleweight!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. glencoffe johnson