Black Spirituality Religion : Answering Dual's Question

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Dec 12, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brotha, I thought your question merited a response but did not want to hijack Destee's thread to do so.

You ask me why I quote from the bible. This is the same question I have asked others. I take an eclectic approach to all these different systems. They all claim to be the one and only true way to salvation. Rather than throwing out the chicken with the grease I salvage what I find useful and leave the rest alone. So if I quote from the bible or the Koran or the Metu Neter don't put me down on record as saying I think the whole book is the inerrant, infallable and inspired word of God.

Now we are told
    2 Timothy 3:16
    All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

To me this is the litmus test for anything that wants to be considered scripture.

2. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Brother Omowale

Your post may be justified and I will address it no doubt.

......but personally speaking it's embarrasing for you to call me out like that out of nowhere, especially in the presense of sister River in her thread.

Would you please erase your post and start a thread on it separately?

I'm just reading through the forums this morning but later on in the evening I will be back to address your concerns.

Thanx in advance.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    "Would you please erase your post and start a thread on it seperately?"

I erased the post at your request. However, I decline to start a separate thread.

My hands are washed.

Peace!

4. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    River

I respect your decision sis.
    Actually I was tempted to start a thread myself but didn't want to put you on the spot so I declined.

Actually I didn't ask why you quoted from the Bible.
    I asked do you still BELIEVE in the Bible as being divine scripture or how much of it do you believe is divine?

I still quote and use the Bible myself for various purposes but I understand it's limitations, history, and accuracy.
    The reason I asked you is because reading your posts although you are no longer a Christian I still notice what I consider to be deep emotional connections to the religion of Christianity.

It goes back to what I was saying about religion and gender....how so many women are attracted to Christianity versus how so many men are attracted to Islam.

But you've answered my question and honestly from what I've read you still use the bible for the same reason I do...lol.

Omowale

Whoa.....

Actually I really looked forward to addressing your post becuase as one of the elders of this community I have respect for, I thought the dialog would have been quite beneficial...especially for me.

But if you take it back then there's no more to say.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    :love: :hearts1: :luvu: :bellydance: :hearts3: :hearts2: :luvv: :hearts4: :luv: :blowkiss: :peace: :heart: :heart:

I wish that element weren't in it. But it is and when I see it I try to back off. Unfortunately sometimes I back off too late because I'm not coming in like oh this is a debate between two guys but like this is an open forum where everyone is expessing their views.

I have a very good relationship with my father and have never had problems talking to guys which means I sometimes forget they're guys. but I should not be so obtuse but recognize that gender does play a part even though we can't see each other.

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Yes, gender does play a part in somethings, however there are no rules on this forum prohibiting women from taking part in discussions between anyone.

You are a premium member here, and have not broken any rules. You have a right to respond to any thread of you want

7. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    River

YOU GO GIRL!

Like Sekhemu said, you got the "RIGHT" (said strongly like Malcolm X used to say it) to be treated at a human being!

.....and post on any thread you feel!

Well I look at it like this, especially with you.....

You seem to be both pretty knowledgable as well as in search of more knowledge.
    I just don't want you to limit yourself by blocking off certain schools of thought or those who bring him.

I notice you seem to be taken more toward the spiritual and less towards the religious and what you call "dogmatic".
    There is benefit in both, it's not always one or the other.

There are benefits in traditional Christianity, Islam, and other concrete organized religions, as well as spiritual and New Age concepts so I don't want you to automaticlly tune off when someone brings a relious concept to you.

By the way, thanks for all the love...now I'm overjoyed.

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I wouldn't say I'm tuned out to Islam altogether. In fact I was really warming to what you were saying until you droped the issue and became intimidated when I challenged you. I had mixed feelings about that because I don't like to hurt anyone but at the same time I don't like to feel as if I have to walk on eggshells.

I''m not out for your blood, man. Like I said in the thread about the two sisters the opposite of love is not hate but indifference.

My mind is open so teach me.

9. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    River

You didn't "intimidate" me, you "irritated" me with the sort of talk you're doing now.

You know that's not how a woman talks to a man unless she completely hates him and seeks to disgrace him in the community.

For you to continually challenge my manhood by calling me weak, supporting any man opposite of me in a disagreement, and now saying that you "intimidated" me when I showed no sign that was the case...shows where your heart is.

What do you want to know that you'll accept from me?

I'm a Muslim and I use both Koran, Bible, and other sources for my references.

10. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    For example:

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38663&page=6

Infomoetry questioned me about the Koran and it's validity.

I gave him an answer and instead of him replying, you jumped in and questioned the motives of God and backed up brother Infomoetry's words.

That's why I said ONCE AGAIN you took the side opposite of mine.
    Because I believe you did it before when me and Sekhemu were debating.

Have you done this with anyone else?