Black Entertainment : Another slave movie (Belle) (Black female British writer and film director)

I always thought a slave movie was a movie based on the economic, political, and social conditions, the atmosphere if you will, during the chattle slave era. Not necessarily depicting "chattle slaves". A good example would be "Glory".

I see. Apparently, the film is based off of this image and the woman behind the image, Dido Elizabeth Belle:

Dido_Elizabeth_Belle.jpg

Given the image is dated at 1779 in England, I can see how the time period is one of slavery, thus, I suppose, making this a slave movie.

However 'slavery-era' may be more fitting (although that description can apply to today and far, far in the past.) For one can look at 12th century Timbuctoo and depict many treasures among Africans yet call that a 'slave movie' as Islamic enslavement spanned for centuries after Muhammad.

Looking into how this movie depicts an inaccurate dramatization of Belle's life, while I likely won't watch it, I can't say it's so horrible to make a film about a historical figure. I would prefer a more intelligent interpretation of her situation, but supposing the writers attended "Public School" I know my preferences are ill-placed, as England, like America, are effective in stunting critical analysis and only a few really escape the foolishness.

I see. Apparently, the film is based off of this image and the woman behind the image, Dido Elizabeth Belle:

Dido_Elizabeth_Belle.jpg

Given the image is dated at 1779 in England, I can see how the time period is one of slavery, thus, I suppose, making this a slave movie.

However 'slavery-era' may be more fitting (although that description can apply to today and far, far in the past.) For one can look at 12th century Timbuctoo and depict many treasures among Africans yet call that a 'slave movie' as Islamic enslavement spanned for centuries after Muhammad.

Looking into how this movie depicts an inaccurate dramatization of Belle's life, while I likely won't watch it, I can't say it's so horrible to make a film about a historical figure. I would prefer a more intelligent interpretation of her situation, but supposing the writers attended "Public School" I know my preferences are ill-placed, as England, like America, are effective in stunting critical analysis and only a few really escape the foolishness.
The operative word was "chattle", aka property. The slavery wherein we were degraded, dehumanized, and robbed of our sanity. So much so that some of us believe that we are supposed to be dominated by foreigners, especially whites. That we are destined to be the servants of whites, constantly begging for jobs and civil rights.

The operative word was "chattle", aka property. The slavery wherein we were degraded, dehumanized, and robbed of our sanity. So much so that some of us believe that we are supposed to be dominated by foreigners, especially whites. That we are destined to be the servants of whites, constantly begging for jobs and civil rights.

You must look at the Arab records. Africans were degraded, dehumanized and robbed of our sanity in Islam as well. A Sister from Kenya had once confessed to me that in her Islamic belief she fully wished to become an Arab and hated her African self.

You who wish to be Pan-African should understand there's nothing new under the Sun.

You must look at the Arab records. Africans were degraded, dehumanized and robbed of our sanity in Islam as well. A Sister from Kenya had once confessed to me that in her Islamic belief she fully wished to become an Arab and hated her African self.

You who wish to be Pan-African should understand there's nothing new under the Sun.

If what you say about the Arab record is true, then I agree! I'm not praising the Arab enslavement of Afrikans at all. I based my statements on the discussion of "slave movies" made by Europeans, especially those made by Euro-Americans, e.g., "Roots", "Belle", 12 Years A Slave", The Butler", and "The Help". I don't wish to be Pan-African", I am a PanAfrikanist! I.e., an Afrikan who subscribes to the economic, political, and social ideology of PanAfrikanism!!! But I would like to know your opinion on why blacks on this site, have a preference for discussing, and apparently watching, "slave movies"? P.S. For the record Sekou Kasimu is an Afrikan name.

If what you say about the Arab record is true, then I agree! I'm not praising the Arab enslavement of Afrikans at all. I based my statements on the discussion of "slave movies" made by Europeans, especially those made by Euro-Americans, e.g., "Roots", "Belle", 12 Years A Slave", The Butler", and "The Help". I don't wish to be Pan-African", I am a PanAfrikanist! I.e., an Afrikan who subscribes to the economic, political, and social ideology of PanAfrikanism!!! But I would like to know your opinion on why blacks on this site, have a preference for discussing, and apparently watching, "slave movies"? P.S. For the record Sekou Kasimu is an Afrikan name.

Sekou Kasimu,

I do not get the impression that there is a preference for discussing and/or watching 'slave movies.' Rather it appears that a film came out and it was shared and discussed. If it's your impression that discussion should be limited to your breadth then you are mistaken to the nature of this site. Destee allows a wide breadth then you do. If I were you, I would accept this.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Hi @Cindy .... :wave: ... :flowers: ... :wave: ... Happy New Year Beloved! Welcome Home! Good to see you! Much Much Love and Peace :heart:
Back