Black Education / Schools : Another New Forum Family !!

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Destee, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Everyone,

We used to have a college forum, i think we called it "The Campus," but it didn't get much activity. That was some time ago and based on our overwhelming growth, i think we probably have enough folk interested in this area of life to support a forum for it.

Most of the "college" topics have taken place in the Teen Forum, but i'm thinking that this is an area that deserves more focused attention. I'm going to find some of the older threads, that would be appropriate for this forum ... kinda help it get started.

I'd like to encourage our teens (and everyone for that matter) to ask whatever questions they have regarding furthering their education. What you need to do to prepare, costs, scholarships, etc.

We have many here that can help, so let us do that ... help each other!

Actually, i want to go back to school. I don't have a college degree and would love one. So i'll be learning with everyone else as the information is shared here. If you see some old Black woman in your college classroom, with gray hair and glasses, raising her hand, asking the teacher / professor to 'splain dat again please ... don't laugh ... it could be me! :wink:

Stay focused and encouraged Family!

:heart:

Destee

p.s. ... Sister Purple, Brother Pan, and Sister Queenie ... i promise ... i'm not just adding forums to yall's area of responsibility, to give you more to do! Really! :)

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Destee

p.s. ... Sister Purple, Brother Pan, and Sister Queenie ... i promise ... i'm not just adding forums to yall's area of responsibility, to give you more to do! Really

:laugh: LOL! QQn I dont know about that statement up there! (smilin)

Sis! I love reading what the family has to say! Really, I don't mind
    at all!!!! :luvv:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't forsee that many problems with a college forum anyway...

4. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    i likes this idea..... will come back when my brain has rested.....

5. caramelpython

caramelpython Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +42
    Good Idea destee...*Wink*

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    great idea like it already coz i love to here what other members say and who
    been to college or have children going and how they get grants // fundings
    living on campus all the works.......

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Hey this is great! No problem Destee with this new addition--I think we need to cover a broad spectrum of areas that we deal with on a daily basis and EDUCATION is important.

For me, I feel as though I've been in school ALL my life and will continue to be in some capacity! I've done it the traditional way and the non-tradiational way and believe me, either way works as good as the other. Here and there over the years I've always been in a classroom and around college students--undergraduate level and graduate level. All I can say is that I love to learn and there's so much that I want to know--which is one of the reasons I'm here because there is so much that I've learned since coming and there are some great people here who have taught it to me.

As far as paying for a college education, I'd like to offer a bit of advice to those who aspire to go. If at all possible, try to avoid loans because you don't want to graduate and find yourself with a huge debt to pay back. Most states have college funds you can invest in and to young parents, you should look into making this investment while your children are young so by the time they are ready to go to college, it will be paid for. Life insurance policies are another good way to pay for college--those that have cash value. It's never to early to start planning and preparing for college whether you think you want to attend or not.

Queenie :spinstar:

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    That is good, sound advice sister NN Queen. Indeed I wish someone would have told me this before I started college!