Black People : Another myth flushed down the toilet

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Mad Skillz, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    I posted this article to demostrate the myths and double standards often conveyed by whites against Black people; that any individual of any race (not simply Black people) regardless of class or socio-economic background is capable of grand larceny when the opportunity arises. However the media and social pundits would have us believe only economic disadvantaged people of color are prone to such behavior as the media attempted to do during Katrina.

While watching this piece on ABC World News I noticed the journalist that spoke with the "scavengers" who were STEALING the loot, and the police who apprehended the thieves, tried to keep the interviews and interrogations light-hearted and comical. Could this double standard be the result of the thieves being frosty white? :eeek:

Scavengers grab what they can

Wine, shoes, carpets, car parts and motorbikes have been taken
    Armed with bags and a sense of adventure, hordes of beachcombers have been descending on the sands at Branscombe in Devon.
    But this army of scavengers is not searching for shells or beach wood.

Instead, its eager members are hoping to take home some of the richer pickings offered by the stricken cargo ship MSC Napoli.

The 62,000-tonne vessel is grounded about a mile out at sea, and has shed a total of 103 containers.

Forty of those have so far offered beachcombers an array of goods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6288845.stm

2. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    If this scenario occurred off the coast of Long Island or California, and the "scavengers" happen to be Black, no doubt the pigs would have shot and killed any Black person on site. But in England the cops find it amusing to joke around with the thieves.

Just an afterthought.

3. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I'm not defending them, but:

Uhmmmmm....things are a little different here in England....for one, the police don't carry guns, i think you looking at it from an American perspective....for example Blacks American do not realize that alot of the British really empathize with the plight of hurricane Katrina victims....all those people that CNN portrayed as thieves, were seen as simply look for food here....besides if i had to chose between the devil and the deep blue sea for news i would choose BBC

Again I'm not defending them.

4. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Plus, I think maritime rules might be different from rules on land. Whatever you grab from a sinking ship is supposed to be yours. But I still think if they were off the Cali coast, yeah, they might have been shot.

5. monet1027

monet1027 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting Footnote---

that ship was also carrying toxic waste so those thieves might be getting more than ill-gotten gains.
    I agree that if these "looters" were people of color there would be armed patrols all along that beach to "protect property". One of the cartons from the ship contained BMW motorcycles and aren't the good people at BMW kind to let the scavengers make off with thousands of dollars of their merchandise.
    Maritime law only applies to ships/property abandoned out at sea-not what washes ashore.