Another Conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by spicybrown, Jan 26, 2006.

1. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Brothers, I am concerned about the current state of affairs involving Black Men in the work place. This may be a little intimate, but I've noticed lately, the trend of businesses turning down more & more Brothers for employment. I care, so this disgusts me. Several intellectual Black men I know are finding ways to endure this stigma. I know this subject is exhausted, but darnit, it seems to be getting worse!! What is going on Brothers? Let's discuss

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    it is getting worse; has been since the elder bush.

"enduring the stigma" will only allow the "stigma" to continue.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Spicybrown:

I've written on this several times, and it pleases me that a sister has noticed it. There is definately a deliberate attempt from "corporate america" to freeze black men out of the workforce. This happens to black men with and without a college education (contrary to popular opinion the college gap between black men and women isn't that significant). There is a dual purpose to this trend: (1) It creates a more strained relationship between black women and men. Obviously a black man who is unable to obtain gainful employment, will have trouble attracting or keeping a mate. In addition to this, in a community where the women earn more money, there will be a loss of respect towards their men. This result in frustration on both sides, which manifests itself in fewer brothers and sisters being able to connect. The first purpose ties directly into the second. (2) It gives white men greater access to black women. Not surprisingly the white male becomes more attractive as a possible mate as the black man loses power, and struggles to provide for himself or others.

This is a blatant effort to humilate black men and to limit their ability to provide for themselves and their families. Unfortunately it is also difficult to prove discrimination, because these corporations are hiring black people, they just happen to be mostly women. When black men complain, they are portrayed as childish, bitter, or delusional. This is why the infamous Newsweek article that came out 3 years ago, which celebrated black women's rapid advance in the workplace (over black men) was so infuriating to many brothers. It was infuriating because many black men know the listed causes for this rapid advance (men in jail, not going to college, etc) was only a mask of what truly is behind this trend.

I feel that the black man in America has no choice other than to start forming their own businesses. Corporate America does not want to hire us, and they don't have to. This is another example of why intergration was a tragic mistake for the African American community in general, and the black man in particular. Depending on other people for your basic needs (employment, housing, food, education, etc) makes you vulnerable and in a natural position to be discriminated against or played with. This is what has happen to the black community in America, and things won't change until we take back our power.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    No, Sister Spicy, it's the same old conspiracy for the last 150 years, or so... Same old song we been dancing to since we were removed from our leg irons...

Here in NYC, they did a study that showed that employers were 8 times more likely to hire a White Boy with a criminal record than a Black Man with NO CRIMINAL PAST... It shows too, because when I'm catching that train in the morning, I feel like the lonliest kid on the block - and that's with some homeless, mentally disturbed brothers passing through... It seems they've reserved hustlin' cigarettes and handbags to our brothers, both the drop-outs and the well-educated... No wonder everybody wants to be a rapper...

But like brother Pan mentioned, this may be a blessing in disguise for us as a people, because it will FORCE us to develope businesses of our own to survive... We, the educated African American, have too long depended on White Man for a JOB... That stuff, White Man is telling us, has to end...

"We White Folks are creating jobs for White Boys Only, and one of those jobs is building Prisons for you people, and having our fair-haired KKK sons stand guard over you people..." Hey, you people aint obselete afterall!

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    If this thread is about solutions, I think that AA men should do a variety of things. Once again, ONE way is not as good as many ways. Some men should continue to push into corporations, some should start businesses in Black neighborhoods, some should buy franchises or start businesses in predominantly non-Black areas, some should consider going to other countries to find jobs and send their money back here to build a comfortable nest for themselves and their families and on and on. Some can do a combination.

In Nigeria, you see so many white expatriates from virtually every European country. There are plenty Asians there too. They work there under contract and they are allowed to send a large portion of their money back to their country. As an American, an AA man would be allowed to do this too. So AA men don't have to just consider going to Africa to live permanently, they could just go there to work just like any other man.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That is a good idea Riada! What type of contract work is being done, and what is needed?

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    To add to what Brother Pan said (of which I whole heartedly concur) the castration and demasculination of the black man started well over 400 years ago and is still happening. A prime example is with our current administration of government. When Colin Powell could no long stomach playing the role of "House Negro" the Bush adminstration found themselves another "yes man" or "yes women" shall we say. This is a prime example and model for what corporate America is expected to do. By doing this the so called "double minority" quota is being satisfied. Black women don't feel safe in your corporate excutive status in corporate America just yet though. Another reason that black women are hired over black men is because women must jump through more hoops and overcome more obstacles to obtain status their sense of loyalty to the position they've earned and company will be much greater than that of a black man. Women don't easily surcome to pride like men so she will be more tolerant of abuse from her superiors. Also she is the perfect scapegoat when something goes wrong. This also gives white corporate America just cause to abandon quota/affirmative action type hiring practices. Before I go any further let me say that what I've just said is the view of white corporate America and not my own. Sisters work hard to achieve success and deserve all that they have accomplished. Bottom line is diversity in the work place means more goverment subsidies and tax exemptions which equals more money. So when we think about it for the white occupied world it is a win-win situation. They are getting paid to eliminate the black man and destroying the black family.

Peace....

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, while it is true black women are getting hired over black men (for the reasons already stated within this thread), in my opinion Corporate America is no panacea for any black person. I think it would do everyone good to get into entreprenuership.

Even fields requiring a lot of education (lawyer, doctor, etc.) don't necessarily mean you have to work for someone else. Most of the doctors I go to through United Healthcare have their own independent practices. Lawyers can do the same. There is room for the entreprenuer at any level for any skill.

9. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

It is the same way in Saudi Arabia also. If it hasn't changed, the first $75,000.00 per year earned is tax free. There were some hefty three figure contract available for those individuals with certain skills. When I was there a job in high demand that garnered a hefty salery was Air Conditioning Repair and Specialty. This was for obvious reasons. Also Saudi Arabians were most receptive to people of color.

Peace....

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Well said brother RF!