Black People : Another Black Man Killed By Police

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Joyce, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    I am curious to know what you think about the high incidence of black men being beaten or killed by police. Do you think that black men would not get beaten or killed by police as often they do if they'd only stop "resisting" arrest?

The reason why I ask this is because in my area, a few days ago, Demetrius Tillman Nelson, age 44, a black man, made the mistake of pulling over into a parking lot shopping area. His car had ran hot and he was arguing with his girlfriend. Police came over while he was under the hood. They said he became incoherent and aggressive and thus, they had to shoot him with a taser gun. They shot him with it repeatedly until he collasped and died 15 minutes later. The 2 deputies have not been suspended and are working their normal shift. At the time of this incident, they were both working "off duty" as security guards for Destin Commons. Demetrius was on his way from Panama City to Pensacola when his car overheated, forcing him to pull over into the Destin Commons parking lot.

They said because he became incoherent and aggressive, it was necessary to subdue him with taser shots.

What do you think? Do you think that black men just have a bad habit of putting their self in a bad position with police or are some police just plain trigger or baton happy and looking for an excuse to "vent" on a black person?

Read about Demetrius Here

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    black men have a bad habit of not returning police fire.
    :uzi:

3. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Do you think it would help if they would break that habit and begin shooting at police? :uhoh:

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    as long as police know they can kill black people with impunity, it will continue to happen.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    So, whenever a Black man leaves his house he should be dressed in combat gear including assault weapons? Where ever a Black lives can easily become a combat zone when there's a cop involved.

Seems that Black men should get special consideration to autmomatically be approved to carry a gun since he is more susceptible to becoming a victim on the streets than any other man. Just look at the criminal statistics. A cop approaches a Black man and immediately puts his/her hand on the holster of his/her gun. What are Black men to do when shown such obvious signs of aggression? Huh?

Where was the so-called girlfriend when her boyfriend was being tasered to death? You mean every Black person needs to have a video cam hooked up to their car and turned on at all times to capture the abuse that's bound to happen whenever you're pulled over?

I'm curious as to how these two off-duty cops define incoherent and aggressive behavior? Hmmmm...we know how they define it in our children while in school--they quickly label them as "problemmatic" and want them to take drugs to "chill" them out. Black children are easily tagged as being ADD or ADHD.

Now, here is a man who is probably already upset that he's having car trouble and winds up having an argument with his lady friend which doesn't leave you in a very good mood right there. Then along comes the calvary which is known to single Black men out and treat them abusively and you have an 'accident' just waiting to happen.

What do I think about the high incidence of Black men being beaten or killed by the police? Sister Joyce--come on...do you really need to ask that question sis? Do we EVER hear of a time when a Black man's encounter with the police has not been brutal? *smh*

It's a wonder that life insurance companies don't consider Black men a high risk when it comes to insuring their lives because the rate of incidences is so high in comparison to men of other races. But of course they can't deny our men on that basis because that would be obvious discrimination on the basis of race.

Queenie :spinstar:

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I think that is just a shame, and since I don't have enough time to say all that I want to say, I will say this...

Speaking as a young black man who is in the environment that Police love to hang around, it will take alot to put an end to how we are treated. As long as we are looked at as suspects all the time, that exact reason right there is enough "probable cause" for them to shoot us or whatever.

7. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    "I am curious to know what you think about the high incidence of black men being beaten or killed by police. Do you think that black men would not get beaten or killed by police as often they do if they'd only stop "resisting" arrest?"

w all due respect, joyce, it's a little difficult 2 believe this ? is being posed as a serious inquiry n2 what has become an accepted national phenomenon. i say accepted b/c i kno of no serious, organized attempt 2 thwart it. the latter part of the ? cld b interpreted as assigning blame to the victims. my belief is, the regular, predictable, execution of blk males, in the streets by the implementation arm of this society, otherwise known as 'peace officers', or, 'law enforcement', oxymorons f i eva saw any, since they bring neither peace nor lawfullness, is a reflection of the desire of this society to exterminate any & all blk males who will not succumb 2 their overt enticements to 'sell out' via $$, drugs, sex, or bling, as part of their 'ultimate solution' 2 the 'race problem'.

there r @ least 3 phases of the law: the law as it's written; the law as it's interpreted; and, the law as it's enforced. selective enforcement is another manner in which the above is demonstrated everyday. perhaps u hv had an opportuinity 2 visit a traffic court sometime. judging by those in attendance n bham's traffic court, u wld think only blk ppl drive in this city, or, at least they r the only ones w traffic violations. on every occasion i hv visited (usu 2 assist som1 else), the 'clientle' is at least 95% blk. this is, n my mind, simply another angle of not so 'hidden' racism. blk ppl, particularly blk males, r stopped disproportionately, even driving late model vehicles, irrespective of neighborhood. this has been documented. so, b4 it even gets deadly, the 1st ? is, y?

once they're stopped, minor infractions, which produce either a verbal repremand or 'warning' ticket, both of which r @ the cops discretion, for a yt driver, invariably elicit the maximum allowable punitive measure 4 a blk one. there can no longer b any serious debate over the sentencing scheme 4 criminal activities, shld 1 b unfortunate enuf 2 b conviicted under the "criminal justice" system. yt males, besides being under the least suspicion & suffering the fewest stops & searches, by longstanding tradion, draw the lightest sentences @ posh, minimum security institutions, compared 2 blk males. u will serve mor time 4 being busted w an amount of crack sufficient to net u $100. on the street, than the executive director of enron, who bilked his customers out of $14 billion.

is any1 really tring 2 convince me that w, something like a 7 fold increase n numbers, yt teenagers & young yt males, w body piercings, tatoo's, acid rock, carrying their 'masters of the universe' animus, & the current version of, free, yt, & 21, attitude, no yt male ever runs from the police? this society considers the blk male not just expendable, but superfluous & detrimental.

i proposed 1 possible recourse to an assemblege about a year ago. since economics seems 2 b the only language understood by all sectors of this society, & since police salaries r drawn, at least partially, from city revenue, i suggested a moratorium on discretionary spending, at all businesses n that city, for 90 days (3 months) for every city in which a blk male is killed by police under questionable circumstances. that means, putting off tht new car, stereo, fridge, etc., until the expiration of the mourning period. this wld seem 2 b the only way 2 help them feel our pain & suffer a small portion of our loss. i wasn't askin any1 to go w/o food or basic necessities, since i wld not b willing to. but, this idea was unpopular b/c it required som tangible sacrifice on the part of the petitioners. i'm open 4 other suggestions.

as long as it can b continued w impunity we shld xpect it 2, not only continue, but escalate.

:help:

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    JOYCE-U CNT B SERIOUS. RESISTING ARREST??? DEFINE RESITING ARREST FOR ME FIRST OF ALL. SPEAKING FROM XPERIENCE AND EYE WITNESSING, IT USUALLY STARTS W/ THE PIG SEARCHING AND HARRASSING FOR NO REASON XCEPT THE BLK MAN IS 'SUSPICIOUS". THEN AS ANY MAN WOULD THE BLK MAN OBJECTS 2 B-ING TREATED LIKE A PUNK SO HE REACTS.

THEN HE IS ARRESTED FOR SOME BS CHARGE LIKE BELIGERANCE, OR DISTURBING THE PEACE, OR PUBLIC INTOXICATION, OR MENACING ECT. SO HE RESISTS THIS UNFAIR ARREST LIKE ANY MAN OR WOMAN WOULD SO HES BEATEN OR MURDERED .

MOST OF THE TIME HEAR OF THESE MURDERS THE ASSAILENT IS UNARMED! EVERY VIDEO WE C, THE PIG IS NEVER IN A POSITION OF DANGER.

I MUST AGREE W BROTHER JAMESFROMPHILLY, AND BROTHER AKEBULAN.

AK-I USED TO LIVE IN BHAM (ALABAMA RIGHT?) IVE BEEN TO THOSE COURTS, THEY R ALL 90 ODD % BVLACK. THE WORST OF IT IS ITS ALL ABOUT $, LIKE FOR INSTANCE I WAS CITED FOR NOT HAVING PROOF OF INSURANCE, EVEN THOGH I WAS INSURED AT THE TIME I WAS PULLED OVER, I STILL PAID LIKE 75$ IN "COSTS". ITS A RACKET MAN. WHY CANT THEY LOOK UP MY INSURANCE RECORDS ON THOSE COMPUTERS WE PAY FOR?

LIKE I POSTED BEFORE I USED TO LIVE ON S. CALI (PASADENA 2 B XACT) , IN THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES, THERE R BLOCKS WHERE THE SETS (GANGBANGERS) BUST SHOTS AT THE COPS AS SOON AS THEY DRIVE DOWN THERE BLOCK. MABY MORE OF THIS IS NEEDED. SO THEY CAN REALLY FEEL OUR PAIN, OR SHALL I SAY FEEL SOME PAIN. THATS WHY....

I FEEL NO REMORSE WHEN I HEAR OF A PIG GETTING BLASTED.

PEACE ON THE PLANET

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    it's a shame blk men are lable as such force and problem
    which law inforcement enjoy coming after, at the same time
    a white man can act the same way and never hit/ shot /beaten
    this been apart of our struggle too for many years and another
    gang blk men need to be aware of call POLICE!!

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    What's the difference between most major cities in the US relative to Black men and the law, compared to the "freedom fighters" in Iraq and their confrontations with the US military?

Queenie :spinstar: