Internet Technology : Anonymous Internet on it's last leg: Huffington Post requires facebook ID validation for comments.

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
Peace everybody..

Back in 2007/8 on Blackvoices.com.. I made some predictions about the future of the Anonymous Internet. I watched how the Obama Campaign effectively countered the deeper-pocketed republicans with low-tech, homegrown networking.. I saw million dollar campaign ads debunked with 10 minute user-created youtube videos.. and I saw how much money they were able to raise online.

I said back then that, if Obama wins this election, we're going to see a full out war against the internet.. and I was right. The Internet you see today is vastly different than it was in 2007.. the anonymous internet has been gobbled up.. and slowly but surely every major site and email service is requiring that you link your online identity with your offline identity.

The Huffington Post's new commenting policy is the latest example of the shift away from the wild wild anonymous internet.. and along with that.. an implicit attachment of possible consequences for things that you say.. positions that you take..

It's important for you also to recognize that this represents a social contextual shift with regard to the Internet and it's standard for discourse.. and once the context shift is complete.. everything you have ever said will be re-evaluated through the shifted lens.. and you will be labeled whatever the new interpretation of your past comments makes you... and not just to people online.. to employers.. to law enforcement.. to government.. to community.

It's my suggestion that those of you that have been on the internet for 5 or more years.. that you take this opportunity to start anew.. and disconnect yourself from anything that could be misconstrued as hateful.. or intolerant.. or whatever. I know alot of other folks that are fighting the shift.. and refusing to change anything about their online behavior.. but it's my opinion that that is not going to end well for them.

There is a new world being born online right now.. and it does not include anonymity.. and it does not tolerate intolerance.. and it won't understand the context of the black internet circa 2005.. it won't understand the hyperbole.. and the figures of speech.. and it won't accept your reasons. In 2014, it's time to update you rhetoric.. and update your behavior: If you wouldn't stand up in the town square and say it in front of everybody offline, don't say it online either. If your point of view will come across as racist.. as hateful.. as anything that could interfere with your ability to work.. and thrive.. don't write it.. don't say it.. don't comment on it.. don't like it.. just walk away.

The anonymous internet is virtually dead.. and dying more and more every minute..

It's time to clean up your online house.. and adjust to the new reality.

- Peace again..

-sj

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARTICLE: Turning the Page on Anonymity: The Future of HuffPost Comments

Maintaining a civil environment for real conversation and community has always been key to The Huffington Post. From day one, our comments were pre-moderated, and we invested in the most advanced moderation technology along with human moderators.

Now, as Arianna Huffington announced earlier this year, we're going a step further to evolve our platform -- which has always been about community and engagement -- to meet the needs of the grown-up Internet. On December 10, after weeks of fine-tuning our commenting technology and platform, we are pulling the switch in a way that will keep the best parts about commenting on HuffPost while bringing more civility and accountability to the experience.

FULL Article @: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-mcdonald/end-of-anonymity_b_4418630.html

Last edited:
For every lock, there will be a key.
This will be interesting.

indeed.. it will be... it actually already is.

Over the next couple of years as more and more people move toward full online identification.. you're going to see more more extreme users surface on what's left of the Anonymous internet sites.. they will cluster together anywhere they can in a sort of last stand. It's just a matter of time before a federal laws passed surrounding the identification users and logging of user data.

#watch.

indeed.. it will be... it actually already is.

Over the next couple of years as more and more people move toward full online identification.. you're going to see more more extreme users surface on what's left of the Anonymous internet sites.. they will cluster together anywhere they can in a sort of last stand. It's just a matter of time before a federal laws passed surrounding the identification users and logging of user data.

#watch.
How might that hurt advertisements?
For example, take a chat site that depends
on advertisements for a substantial amount
of revenue. If advertisers notice that a particular
chat site hardly has anybody there but the same
4 to 10 folks chatting, they may wanna pull their
advertisements. Wouldn't they?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back