Announcement: "GANGS NEVER WERE AND NEVER WILL BE IN STYLE...

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by MzMelanie2u2, Nov 2, 2004.

1. MzMelanie2u2

MzMelanie2u2 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay...I just dont understand it. What is the use of being in a gang? Someone pleasssssse tell me. Just yesterday, after walking home from school, I got some very sad news that two streets over from me, there had been a massive shooting. As the person was telling me, i immediately remembered the house they were referring to. It was a very run down place where guys and girls were constantly going in and out of. Everyday as i would walk down the street, About 20 of them would always be on the corner smokin a blunt and often times passing a joint. They all looked as if something else was inhabbiting their very souls, and they had no control over their action or what they said out of their mouths. They would look at me as i passed as if i was trespassing on their turf or something. But at any rate, the person said that one girl was just going ballistic. And as she was releasing her anger, a red navigator pulled up and guys dressind in red got out and opened fire on every one in the front lot of the house and the house itself. But as the one girl was hiding behind a car she felt the opportunity to run for her life, but there was no ecscape from the bullets that struct her twice in the back, once in the arm, and once in the leg. The young men then got back in the truck and sped off. I later on found out that everyone who was fired upon was supposedly a Crip.

As i sat in amazement at the fact that gangs still subsists, and that they were right in my immediate neighborhood, and that there were still poeple, young people willing to be associated with them, I became speechless. I mean is acceptance so desirable that your willing to risk your very life and soul and willingly take others in the process? And when you really think about it, the love that you are seeking cant be found in these people. If they really loved you, like you think, then why would they use you as a scape goat, using you for their durty work. Why would they influence you to do such devious thing. And what you must do is think in to the future, cuz thats what your not doin, your just looking at the present, do you not realise that with your immense crimminal record, it will become almost impossible to get a career and establish yourself in this would that is becoming so intolerant of your unlawful behavior? If you have a felony, you will automatically lose your right to vote...I mean It just not worth is people...And maybe these things are all irrelevant to you at this age, but trust me, its not as cute when your 40 and 50 years old living a life not fit for dogs, or sitting in a jail cell looking at your calender that cant even tell you that you have 125 more years left to think about what you did when you were 14, 15, 16, or either laying 6 feet under not knowing anything. And being in a gang is so selfish, your not only putting yourself, but your putting your loved ones and friends in danger too. And you can believe that they worry about, despite what those fools that you call your gang family have led you to believe, for your true family are the ones who want whats best for you and want to see you succeed in life. so do me a favor and think long and hard if your in a gang...and see if the outcomes (poverty, death, ect.) are worth it all...

ITS NOT WORTH IT IS IT...?

2. garlicsalt99

garlicsalt99 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Having lived in Los Angeles (South Central) more than most of my life, I can see some of the reasons why people want to be in gangs. For one. those that are in gangs find that the get more attention from the 'homies' than they do their support group - family, church, etc. I'm currently a teacher at one of the High Schools here in the city. Its weird, to see someone in your class who is trying their best in your room, knowing that they are in a notorious gang. I have kids come in my room after some days absent, finding out that they've been shot or shot at, beat down, or carted off to jail.

The culture today breeds a gang mentality. The illusions of get rich with little or no work appeals to a lot of people, particularly those who like to use excuses as to why they can't succeed,... and these are the very ones who are slaughtered in this madness called gang violence, because they fail to realize that they are following the dictates of someone who doesn't neccessarily have their best interest at heart.

I don't know how much nation-wide coverage was recieved on the shooting death of 14-year old Byron Lee, who begged for his life before being shot 19 times, but these are the times we're living in. Not saying that Byron did anything to warrant his demise, but young people all over are doing things without considering the consequences of their actions, and that is very sad. If I were to argue going back to the basics, I would recommend that young people be raised by their grandparent. At least they can have the benefit of being raised by people who have bene there, done that, and can tell about it, rather than being raised by peers, or worse, raising themselves.

3. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a sad sad story. So many of our youth are falling victim to these gangs. It's not right. And just when you think it can't get any worse it does. What bothers me is that maybe these young people didn't know there was another way. I'm very blessed to have known that joining a gang wasn't my only alternative. Praise God.

Sister Melanie, being as though you are so close to where it occurred I say to you to please be careful wherever you go. I'll pray for your neighborhood too. If there is another route you can take to get home please take it so as not to run into them standing on the corner looking at you all kinds of crazy.

Here we had Safe Streets for a while and the people that used to stand on the corner would leave. It was nice while it lasted but now they're back. All up on porches like they own stuff, peeing in back of people houses and ally ways like it's their own personal bathroom and all that. It's meesed up. My own little brother was a victim of gang violence. All we can do though in the meantime is try to be as safe and cautious as possible; and let the youth know, as many as you can, that they don't have to join gangs.

4. MzMelanie2u2

MzMelanie2u2 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you so much AFRO and GARLICSALT for your replies. This is indeed a sad story. And so many are falling victim to this issue. So i also will continue to pray for each and every last one of them, in hopes that they will, in the very near future change their lives and get back on the right track. And thanks again "Afro", for your prayers, they are very much so needed.