Black Entertainment : Anita Baker Ordered to Pay Ex Hubby!!!

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Kemetstry, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    Singer: 'I just want to be heard'
    Anita Baker could face jail in royalty dispute with her ex
    Doug Guthrie and Susan Whitall / The Detroit News
    Detroit --Singer-songwriter Anita Baker faces the threat of jail in a contempt hearing today in Wayne Circuit Court after refusing to sign documents that could turn some of her music royalties over to her ex-husband.
    The emotionally drained eight-time Grammy Award winner never read the documents she objected to because she had been crying for two days, her lawyers explained. She was unable to "digest" the documents even when given a chance to read them in court Thursday.
    "I've been in the music business more than 20 years. We are talking about a multimillion-dollar business," said the 52-year-old Grosse Pointe mother of two teen sons.

Wayne County Chief Family Court Judge Lita M. Popke had ordered Baker to explain why she hadn't followed orders to sign letters giving a court-appointed expert on music industry contracts authorization to seek information from record companies about payments for the music she has written and performed.
    By the end of a long hearing Thursday that included frequent interruptions from Baker fretting about going to jail and asking for a chance to testify under oath, the judge ordered her to return Friday morning and sign the letters or face jail.
    "Frankly, I haven't heard anything that amounts to an appropriate legal objection to signing these letters," the exasperated judge declared Thursday. "I'm very upset that we have been here all day saying she isn't going to sign something she hasn't read."

Baker complained that "experts" have dominated court proceedings since her divorce from Walter Bridgforth Jr. in 2007, and she wanted to speak directly to the judge. Detroit entertainment attorney Howard Hertz, who represents Eminem , among other clients, was appointed by the judge as a music contract expert in an effort to settle the dispute.
    "I'm being muzzled," Baker complained. "My attorneys agree that I know more about music contracts than they do. But I'm not allowed to talk. I invented my music out of thin air, but they have to talk for me, 'This little woman can't talk.' If I'd invented Ford, they would talk to me. If the judge tells me at the end of the day that I have to sign, I'll comply. But I want her to hear my side. I'm not saying I'm right. I just want to be heard."
    The judge, who accused Baker of causing delays for more than a year, ordered Hertz and Bridgforth's lawyer, Hanely Gurwin, to bill her for the time they spent in court Thursday.
    Her divorce from Bridgforth called for an even split of royalties from two albums made during the couple's 20-year marriage; "Giving You the Best I Got" in 1988, and "Rhythm of Love" in 1994.
    "I want to confine the letter to those two albums that he is entitled to," Baker said. "This business is based on relationships. These companies will run from me like the plague if I sign that document."
    Much of the court file on Baker's divorce, including documents that detailed the financial settlement between the couple, was ordered sealed in 2007 by Judge Bill Callahan. Newer documents pertaining to the fight over royalties indicate Baker in 2009 was receiving $200,000 a year from one of the several record companies with which she has held contracts.
    Bridgforth has objected to accounting that claims, after expenses, that his half of the royalties from Atlantic and Rhino records amounted to $12,000 in 2009. Baker's profits also were greatly reduced by production costs. The court file doesn't indicate what Baker has been paid by other sources, including music publishers BMI and ASCAP, and digital sales, satellite and Internet play.

Bridgforth didn't appear in court Thursday.

Part of the argument also is over some royalty checks Baker apparently never cashed.

Bridgforth's attorney Hanely Gurwin said, "It seems to me, that if she's entitled to the money, Mr. Bridgforth is entitled to half. If she's not entitled, she should send it back."

"I did!" Baker exclaimed from her seat at the defense table between her lawyers, Christopher Drouillard and Steven Budaj. Popke said to admonish her lawyers, "Please control your client."

Baker said she isn't standing in the way of Bridgforth receiving his share of the royalties.

Although the judge allowed only lawyers to speak Thursday, she said Baker can talk Friday. Still, the singer appeared defeated. "I'm prayerful that the law will prevail tomorrow," she said.

:em0200:

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    [email protected] i feel for her....

one love
    khasm

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

:10500:

I dont. We dont get any sympathy when we go thru that

:toast:

:em0200:

4. rasembi aunk

rasembi aunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

Isn't that what they call equality?:10500:

5. DARKSIDE MAGICK

DARKSIDE MAGICK Well-Known Member MEMBER

SORCERER
    Ratings:
    +674
    AGAIN, SHE KNEW THE "GAME" WHEN SHE AGREED YEARS EARLIER. SHE GETS NO SYMPATHY FROM DARKSIDE!!!!

6. Workinprocess

Workinprocess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +223
    Thats interesting that you say "we don't get any sympathy" because these days, it's rare to hear about a black woman getting anything out of her ex black husband. What I see is, white women getting half after they divorce their black husbands. What I see is black men marrying white women, after their black woman made them. Let's see who Anitas husband starts dating after her gets half of Anitas money.

W.I.P
    :whip:

7. rasembi aunk

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

I think that she should go ahead and break him off half of her money and just let it go. After all he deserves it. He was there for emotional support, he's given her 2 beautiful children and he was with her for 30 years and before she got famous. He also needs to be compensated so that he can maintain the lifestyle that he was accustomed too...it's only right.

8. KEMAKIL

KEMAKIL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electronic/Telecom Engineer
    Ratings:
    +44
    You forgot to say those 30 years were the best years of his life.

9. rasembi aunk

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Oh yeah, that too. I almost forgot

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    much as i love her , it's life and how the game is played in this society
    this what men been going through for years and still is today !!!

I do hope it all work out !!