Jails / Prisons : Angola Prison - How Can This Be?

Peace and Blessings Family,

I just ran across this article regarding Angola Prison, and was reminded of this thread.

Slavery Haunts America's Plantation Prisons

On an expanse of 18,000 acres of farmland, 59 miles northwest of Baton Rouge, long rows of men, mostly African-American, till the fields under the hot Louisiana sun. The men pick cotton, wheat, soybeans and corn. They work for pennies, literally. Armed guards, mostly white, ride up and down the rows on horseback, keeping watch. At the end of a long workweek, a bad disciplinary report from a guard - whether true or false - could mean a weekend toiling in the fields.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

During Hurricane Gustav's news announcements, i heard Mayor Nagin say that any looters would be sent straight to Angola, bypassing the local jail ... and i cringed.

:heart:

Destee

I have heard of Angola, and what goes on there. It is a travesty that Angola is allowed to run but Louisiana is one of the most corrupt states in the union so I'm not surprised one bit. But actually Angola can happen anywhere in the U.S. very easily. Prisoners in Texas work fields too. I saw a special about Angola some years ago and it was horrible and should scare anyone straight. I was disturbed. My daughter's family and father lives in Louisiana so I've heard horror stories from them too.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back