Black Parenting : And they said I was to hard...

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by G Ali, Jul 18, 2012.

1. G Ali

G Ali Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    Peace yall,

Now I had my son at a young age, his mothers...as well as my own lifestyle was wild to say the least. At the moment of his birth I gave all that up and decided I would never allow him to waist his intelligence, talents, or life like I had been doing. From the jump there were 3 staples in his life: education, respect, responsibility...as soon as he could talk he learned the value of sir and ma'am (and got daily vocabulary words)...as soon as he could count we started math...as soon as he asked for something...HE WORKED FOR IT...and took care of it. All I heard from these new age I'm my kids homey type parents (young and old) was I was to strict...I expected to much from him to soon and things of that nature. Now at the age of 4 he's outscoring 1st graders on aptitude tests...I'M SO PROUD OF HIM and I don't for one minute regret being strict. So destee fam...do yall think more parents should stick to that highly disciplined (but still loving) old school style of parenting.

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I had a similar situation while raising my son the old school way. Actually, the only way i knew since i had no father in my life when i grew up, but luckily i remembered the lessons of grandma, moms & my elder aun'ts & uncles on how they used to school me.

I actually taught my son from the top down, starting at the age of 4. He would spell his name with his fingers when asked what his name was, almost like he was throwing up gang signs and my friends & family would say 'oh that's so cute', but really had no idea what he was doing, so he had to break it down for them out of frustration. they would be like 'what's that you're doing?' & he would say repeatedly 'my name, my name' in his 4 year old voice. I taught him things about the universe that grown people today still don't know. I would ask him some basic questions on it all the time in front of grown people and they would stare in awe at this child that was answering questions that they probably never heard before, much less think that a child that size could answer. I did this to arm him when got into the school system so that he had a solid foundation that they would not be able to break and it worked.

So don't worry about the nay sayers, G. Ali. You do what you know is right for your seed and keep hittin' him with that math, for it is the foundation of all in existance.

The reason our children have such a hard time with math in the school system is because we as parent's never let them know it is the study of self.....So while in class they are looking for the answer outside of themselves, instead of trying to solve the problem within.

peace to you

3. G Ali

Ratings:
    +91
    Your comment about arming your little man for the school system raises another question for me...where I'm from the school's are garbage I mean REALLY garbage and I've been really thinking about looking into other options (private/home school) but is private really any better and I'm sure home schooling your seed isn't something to take lightly...any suggestions

4. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Great job. Wow trying to teach your son to be ahead of the game is seen as too strict? LOL Keep doing what you're doing. Your child will be light years ahead of the rest. Your hard work will payoff.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

If the school's in your area are really garbage, then Homeschooling, i would think your best alternative. I mean it sounds like you've already begun. Just make sure you check with your state and get all of the information you need in regards to meeting the state standards, as they do vary from state to state. Also, if you take that route, be sure to get him in some time in a community center, or athletics program so that he's around other kids so he can develop his social skills as well. Homes chooling, while very beneficial, will have your son isolated from other children for long periods of time, so just make sure as he grows that he is also involved in something outside of the home with kids his age....

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I home schooled mines and I'm not economically stable. The only stress I really received was from the community I lived in who was calling child protection services on me every chance that they got due to their own conditioning by the clear people. Brother, when I was done with them child protection people, they wanted me to come down to their agency and speak to the others workers there!!!....WORD!!! If you can't find a way to home school him then you'll need to try and find a good black charter school that has a focus on our reality that exceeds slavery.

7. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    But you were SPIRITUALLY stable. You were able to move with (and I know I DON'T have to tell you) a force that even money can't buy.

8. G Ali

Ratings:
    +91
    Peace King,

Great advice...and something I will mos def look into as well as the charter school route that Keita suggested.

9. G Ali

Ratings:
    +91
    Couldn't have stated it better myself