Science and Technology : Ancient Forest Thaws from Melting Glacial Tomb

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Chevron Dove, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I think this is very interesting. I also wonder about any correlations this has with other weather conditions and that have happened recently. For example in my area these past seasons, I think that the weather has been noticeably different from what has occurred in the past few years. During the month of May in the latter part of the month, I traveled to Maryland and attended an outdoor graduation, and not only did it rain the entire time but, the temperature suddenly dropped to the low 60s [F] and 50s [F] and the wind gust picked up and like me, people sitting all around were shivering. Many folks bought expensive hooded jackets to pass out to their families but others just sat there shivering and waiting for the guest speaker, the president, to come onto the stage and give his speech but afterwards, the bleachers emptied out quickly. That was some pretty strange weather for late May. Then a few weeks later in June when I prepared to travel north to attend my sons graduation, I figured the temperature would certainly not drop that low and because I realized that umbrellas were not allowed, I made sure to have rain gear just in case it rained but still, I was not prepared for the down pouring that did occur and yes, the temperature still dropped very low in June! From the very morning that I left North Carolina and traveled westwards to pick up my relative in western Virginia and then all the way northwards through New Jersey and up into New England, it rain heavy and continually. Then it continued to rain the entire day throughout the whole graduation event and it was very chilly. I later learned that there had been a tropical storm Gale that affected this weather pattern that week in June over many areas in America. But then for the next few months all the way into the summer season, it never got warm and this was confirmed several times on the news stations. It never got warm or hot until the middle of the month of August in North Carolina! Now that is strange. It rained continually for the most part in my area during the summer months in my region! I only remember it getting hot for only a few days in late August and that’s about it for this spring and summer, so this news about a glacier melting makes me think there is something unusual and significant happening with the weather patterns and climate these days.

I’ve seen the produce that came from the gardens of some farmers this season and they do say, that their yield is much more abundant this year than in the past. Also, I heard that at some point in May or June, there was some type of Tsunami on the Atlantic sea board!!!? But, if this melting glacier is happening in Alaska, then does this mean other areas in the cold regions are doing the same type of thing? What kind of correlation can be made about these weather patterns in regards to the major flooding that is happening in Colorado right now? I’ve heard too in the news that it was very hot in some places in the west to the point where records had been set. Anyway, here is some information about this melting glacier in Alaska:

Ancient Forest Thaws From Melting Glacial Tomb

An ancient forest has thawed from under a melting glacier in Alaska and is now exposed to the world for the first time in more than 1,000 years. Stumps and logs have been popping out from under southern Alaska's
    Mendenhall Glacier — a 36.8-square-mile (95.3 square kilometers) river of ice flowing into a lake near Juneau — for nearly the past 50 years. However, just within the past year or so, researchers based at the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau have noticed considerably more trees popping up, many in their original upright position and some still bearing roots and even a bit of bark, the Juneau Empire first reported last week.

"There are a lot of them, and being in a growth position is exciting because we can see the outermost part of the tree and count back to see how old the tree was," Cathy Connor, a geology professor at the University of Alaska Southeast who was involved in the investigation, told LiveScience's OurAmazingPlanet….

http://news.yahoo.com/ancient-forest-thaws-melting-glacial-tomb-163722478.html

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    That's exciting and very interesting Chevron. The climate here in N. Tex has be drought, drought,drought.

I've often wondered why some States are being inundated with too much rain and we not any. This climate change thing is real....things are happening that are just too unsettling.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

And here is more to chew on yall, Chevron is in the right direction, and so is the President, others seem to think this argument of global warming is a joke ... :wow:

Climate change - The Shiyang River in China

[​IMG]

Beijing blames climate change for wreaking havoc on scarce water resources, but critics say the country's headlong drive to build its industrial prowess and huge hydro projects are just as responsible. Hundreds of rivers have already vanished in northwestern Gansu, one of the country's driest regions. In the town of Minqin, residents said the problem was not new, with the nearby Shiyang river disappearing not because of temperature rises, but because a vast upstream reservoir built two decades ago to irrigate a large farm cut off their supply. (Reuters)

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/climate-change-the-shiyang-river-in-china-1379938329-slideshow/

4. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Wow, natural causes with mans help in Beijing.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Exactly, which spells, we've got problems!

6. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204

Oh congratulations on your sons' graduation.

7. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    yes, and like this article pointed out, it seems to be happening at alarming rates right now!

8. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Now that is mindblowing! You have gotta be kidding! You know, I believe that some of these issues are due to both mankinds actions and to things that are beyond mankinds control, and this article that you have posted sure does show how mankind can affect the earth dramatically. Wow!

9. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thanky you!

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Exactly Chevron, together, we will be prepared and equipped to give answers to the questions.